Dead graphics card?

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
Need peoples views on this :-

Was playing daoc fine with two accounts running, but when i alt tab to 2nd account this evening I suddenly got a massive spiral pattern as seen in pic.

This I had not seen on my pc once I got my new graphics card about 2.5yrs ago.

Every time i load daoc the corrupt graphics are still present.

It seems to run Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 ok but there seems to be distortion and strange pixels on the desktop.

Is this the end of my graphics card? Should i get a new one?

Seems weird - been fine the last two years, no probs but now suddenly its playing up.

The card is a Radeon 9700pro, running on WinXP Pro, P4 3000, 1024 pc3200 ram.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• sshot000.jpg
    sshot000.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 40

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
i get same thing on my PC sometimes along with warning from graphix drivers that the card isnt recieving enough power.......need a new PSU..maybe you do too. but could be aload of other shite too

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Seems to be DirectX problem, though I got this once when i bought a new computer, but had my old video card still, nothing could solve it. Also, I know a friend that it was running perfectly for, then he installed DirectX9.0c once, after that, nothing helped (it was an rather old card).

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
oki thanks for the reply guys.

Think the power supply is only 350 so might be worthwhile me getting a higher one anyway.

But as you say, could be a number a things :(

Still, might be time to invest in a new graphics cards.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
hmmm... I'm just wondering... did you press that little button [Warp Speed] ?

indeed, powershortage sounds like a feasable problem though, and if you've ever changed the heatsink on the card, it might also be a problem of some cooling paste making a shortage between some of the elements on the GPU or card... but that's very unlikely if you haven't done anything with that...

Ahwell, good luck trying to figure it out ;)

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
heh definately looks like warp speed :)

problem is now worse - desktop is pretty much garbled mess of pixels and cant run any game.

not touched the heatsink or anything to do with the graphics card. Did try to reseat it in its slot but didnt help at all.

Gut feeling tells me its the graphics cards - especiallay as it just suddenly went wrong.

Is this a reasonable replacement for Rad9700pro?

OcUK GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-005-C3) Price: £112.50 (£132.19 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Not looking to spend too much on a new card.

Also can some one recommend a decent power supply? Need something good to power usual pc components plus dvd, cdrw, 2 sata drives set up as RAID, 3rd harddrive with old crap on it, plus a load of fans (4fans)

all that stuff running on 350psu could be the power shortage problem that youve all mentioned - but just seems strange its only started now (been ok for 3months or so since i went to RAID).

cheers again for the feedback!

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
That's RARELY the psu in that case....it definetly seems like bugged up memory on the card or it's severely overheated.I am very certain the memory is faulty, but that card you mention above(6600GT) is a great replacement.What psu are you using anyway? i can tell you that there would be a very small chance of psu causing that...

Any antec/ocz/enermax psu's will work fine usually providing they are 400w+ and do not use an ATX 2.0 if you have an agp motherboard.I been using 480w antec trueblue for over a year now and it's fine.

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
The psu I bought from ebuyer - a 350psu own brand so prob not the best for all the stuff im powering but it has been ok for the last year or more. Dont recall the exact model.

I started playing around with the pc. Decided to try and reinstall the ati drivers. But now the pc wont even acknowledge that theres a rad9700pro inside it.

Oki i'll go for that graphics card - dont want to spend too much.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom