Dawkins interview on some sort of God channel...

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yes, it is compulsary for all financially stable muslims, but it is so deeply ingrained in Islamic culture that muslims must help the poor that it is part of their character. It would be an insult to a good muslim not to be deined the opportunity to help those poorer than themselves. For most muslims, they think nothing more of it than you do paying VAT or your TV license, their is an aspect of religion to it of course, but it is more of a social conscience. It is a bit like implying you pay your TV license to appease the BBC.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sorry Wij, but I don't really see anything in that article to suggest specific religous motivation either. The whole affair at the moment is entirely political with lots of different agenda's. Hamid Karzai's has been president of Afganistan since, what, 2004 if memory serves? Of course he is going to be fanning the flames, he is in a comfortable office and probably feels its high time that foreign troops got out of his country and is busy appeasing his political allies.

Isn't it curious that religions tend to get so much negative press, yet the good work they do is largely ignored by the media, for example any good muslim gives, through Zakat, the third pillar of islam, at least 2.5% of their annual income to charity, making them some of the largest contributors to third world projects.

No need to say sorry. I didn't give any commentary on the article.

Karzai is definately not in a rush to get foreign troops out of his country (although he might pretend otherwise) but he will be appeasing everyone he can think of. Very irresponsible though.

Hard to argue though that there isn't a religious motivation. Without religion what excuse would there be to whip the mob into a frenzy over a book being burnt (which as the article mentions, happens often enough anyway.)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I fucked a dog because I wanted to, not because god told me to. That MUST mean there is no god?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't think that religion is the root cause of the problem here.

The problem is belief.

Mankind's capacity to act without reason or evidence. To perform the act of believing.

Now that i can partly agree with, since it's not religion based alone(as it was clearly before, or it simply wants made clear enough)

Country, men, leaders, religion, jam. Yes, belief in extremes is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom