Davids, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Veron...

S

stu

So the latest noise from Madrid is that they are lining up for a Beckham bid after all (guess Fergie's loud noises about Barcelona did exactly what he planned, brought the big boys out). They reckon he was over there before going to America to chat about their training etc, and the current talk is for an offer to go in around the 23rd June, giving him 4 days to decide.

This sounds pretty good to me, certainly better than a move to Barcelona. Beckham's far more likely to go to Madrid as a club. The idea is to hang Figo out wide on the right, with Beckham in the centre alongside Makelele.

Despite Madrid being linked to Ronaldinho recently, Beckham going would also ensure he moves to Old Trafford. It seems like an either/or deal for Madrid, they won't go for both. After all, there's only 4 spots along the middle, so assuming a Zidane - Makelele - Beckham - Figo line up, they'd be buying Ronaldinho to stick him on the bench - very unlikely.

In other news, United say that Juve are interested in Veron (although they deny it at the moment), with talk of Davids or Thuram going the other way. Which again sounds very good for United. Veron has been listless and unimpressive for them, and their two biggest misses next season are going to be central midfield (Keane simply doesn't have the pace or strength to cut it there any more) and in defence. Fergie's a big fan of Thuram, and he's become increasingly disillusioned with Lippi this season, whilst Davids has a year left - and no way will Juve let him go on a Bosman. United could even get both for Veron plus cash.

Assuming both those moves went ahead, it would also give United a big pot of liquid cash to weigh in for 2 more players. Looking at the players in Europe with 1/2 years to go, the potential looks pretty good.

Out: Beckham, Veron

In: Ronaldinho, Davids, Thuram, Robinson? Tristan? Xabi?

If it plays out, next season is going to look bleak at Highbury

C

CptDoom

Bleak at highbury?

Id like to know who we buy in before bold statements like that are concerned :)

X

Xtro

Originally posted by stu
so assuming a Zidane - Makelele - Beckham - Figo line up,

Just reading that makes me drool, why Sheffield Wednesday why do you make me go through this hell?!

S

stu

Re: Re: Davids, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Veron...

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
Link pls stu about Davids & Thuram.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2986842.stm

Fergie's been courting Thuram for about 2 years, he really rates him (not surprising really). Thuram hasn't been keen to move previously, but has become increasingly frustrated this season about Lippi's insistence on playing him out of position. Had Juve won the Champions League, I think he would have been happy to sit it out - having come away runners up, I could see him moving to United.

As for Davids - Fergie (and the whole team) have made their high regard of him plain for a long time. It was funny to watch the Man U - Juve CL games, as soon as Davids got the ball 3 or 4 United players dived on him, they were that scared of what he'd do if he got through.

S

stu

Originally posted by CptDoom
Bleak at highbury?

Id like to know who we buy in before bold statements like that are concerned :)

True... but Wenger's only got 9mill to play with. Assuming Kewell comes in for Pennant, that's 2mill or so. He's also chasing Robinson, so let's say another 3 - what's left over is just enough to buy maybe one other player, and it has to be a defender, based on this season's problems.

Compare that to £30mill liquid cash, plus £30mill for Beckham and whatever (2 quid? :) ) for Veron - United will be looking at picking up 6 or so international players. And after all, you bottled it this season as it was :)

A

Ash!

How little ye all know. No way will Utd Splash the cash on Thuram. 31 and his best years are behind him. Dont get me wrong, pretty good for a mid table side like Liverpool or Spurs.

Veron. Yes everyone likes to have a go at him. Watch him week in week and week out home and away. He aint that bad. As for Davids as good a player he is why would utd pay for a 29 year old who has a worst disciplinary record then Keane ?

Utd In Escude, 1 Top classs goalie, Ronaldhinio, Kluivert + 1 young midlfielder

Utd Out: Beckham & Barthez. Possibly Keane

C

Clowneh!

i'll chose this thread cuz its nearest the top...

news of the world: beckham 'i would rather quit football than leave man utd'

hmm? hmm?

Y

Yaka

Originally posted by Ash!

Utd In Escude, 1 Top classs goalie, Ronaldhinio, Kluivert + 1 young midlfielder

they need a young midfielder they that young scot fletcher

K

Karnage

Stuff in the papers about Figo threatening to leave Real if they sign Becks...

One of the tabloids though so not sure if its true :)

C

Clowneh!

not just figo, raul too... hits his number 7 by verbal contract i think? also chefchenko (cba to look up the spelling) has a contract for the number 7

you know, i would probably bet on beckham signing a new contract, might make good odds :)

S

stu

Originally posted by Clowneh!
not just figo, raul too... hits his number 7 by verbal contract i think? also chefchenko (cba to look up the spelling) has a contract for the number 7

Beckham only started wearing 7 after Sheringham arrived and took his 10 shirt. So I don't think Raul or Shevchenko have much to worry about, he'll have whatever number they give him.

G

Gumbo

Originally posted by stu
Beckham only started wearing 7 after Sheringham arrived and took his 10 shirt. So I don't think Raul or Shevchenko have much to worry about, he'll have whatever number they give him.

Ah, but 7 is part of his brand image now, the VII tattoo on his arm for instance.

It would seem a funny thing to stall a contract, but it is possible. Also the money men will really be looking at the far east market in number 7 shirts, and will base the decision on wether Raul, or Beckham will sell more out there.

D

doh_boy

The number 7 is only important as a no 7 for united due to the last previous incumbents of the shirt (robbo and cantona) and besides real said they'd leave the 77 shirt open for him :p

S

stu

Originally posted by Gumbo
Also the money men will really be looking at the far east market in number 7 shirts, and will base the decision on wether Raul, or Beckham will sell more out there.

That makes no sense whatosever. A Real shirt with 8 Beckham (for example) would sell just as well as one with 7 Beckham on it.

Y

Yaka

no he wouldnt, un like becks, solsjare or even veron he dont EVER track back to help out the right back, gary nevvill may soon become the worst RB if he head for united

W

Wij

Re: Re: Davids, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Veron...

Originally posted by Xtro
Just reading that makes me drool, why Sheffield Wednesday why do you make me go through this hell?!

looool - We have a football team ? With players ? I'd assumed not tbh :D I thought we just let the other team grab a couple of free goals against the mascot and then nip to the bar for 15:05.

S

stu

Originally posted by xane
Real offer United Figo

I've heard this over and over, and I reckon it's bollocks. It's speculation based entirely around the fact that Figo and Beckham both currently play on the right.

Jorge Valdano (Real's sporting director) publically referred to Beckham as a "footballer in exile", saying "He should not be playing on the right (of midfield) but in the centre". Which means that both he and Figo would be on the pitch at the same time, it'd be Flavio or Makelele that would be benched (my guess would be on Flavio, as Makelele plays a much stronger holding game).

G

gremlin

Originally posted by stu
Fergie hates Kluivert, thinks he's a prima donna.
Thats because he is! :)

Would love to see Davids playing in the Premiership, been a fan of his for a while - astounding talent when he wants to be.

M

mank!

Someone on Sky Sports News this morning said that Fergie is a 'keen admirer' of Kluivert and that Ruud Van is trying to persuade him to come to Utd.

Although that could be utter bollocks :)

also, Swindon have been linked with Gazza... joy ;/

G

gremlin

Originally posted by mank!
also, Swindon have been linked with Gazza... joy ;/
Heh, China kicking him out of the country already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom