Darkfall.

R

rg-zorena

Hello Daoc community, I was Zorena the pac healer on Excalibur but I left because there isn't any
magic left in the game its the same old after a year of playing.

Anyhow I have been asked to recruit people to another game darkfall and clan Shimmergloom for my own concern.
So what is Darkfall, well its a new mmorpg that is said to have the biggest world ever in a online game and it will be
zonefree so its one big world that support upto 10000 players maybe even more.
Well first of all its not gonna be another boring history to level 50 because there are no levels instead you become
better and better by using spells healing or your sword, and unlike daoc someone with alot of skill points trained
in various fighting skills will maybe not be able to win you because the game will be first person, so it will add
some excitement from your ordinary fps game into the mmorpg.

Our development team is made up of gamers, and for years we have been envious of FPS players having combat centered fun in games such as Quake, Unreal, Counterstrike etc. They have had these cool combat systems that are fun and challenging, while we as MMORPG players have felt sold short using turn based simple and boring “click and wait” combat systems.

With Darkfall we wanted to move away from the traditional “select target, hit attack, sit back and wait for the result” combat systems we have seen in other online games. We wanted to include elements such as dodging, evasion, timing, aiming etc. These elements are well known from FPS games, but haven’t really been utilized in MMORPGs before. Darkfall uses a semi-FPS action system, where a typical fight will involve the mentioned elements; dodging, evasion, timing and aiming. Tactical elements also come into play, like using the higher ground, strafing, hiding behind corners, walls and objects, using the right skills or spells at the right time, using the right combinations of skills and spells, countering the enemy’s skills and spells, evaluating the enemy’s equipment, using the right debuffing spells etc.

It might sound complicated when explained on paper, but it flows extremely well in-game, and we are really happy with our combat system. We can’t wait to let our players test it out, and we think it will help push MMORPG combat systems in the right direction, and make each combat situation unique and exciting.

This game have concetrated alot of effort into making RvR a huge part of the game first of all there are 6 races and
basicly they will have differnet enemys but can go to war with each other in a clan vs clan(this is what guilds are called in darkfall) war.
So basicly there gonna be a huge zerg everyone is thinking well maybe and maybe not only time will tell
but im guessing that guilds who gonna have 500 players arn't gonna be as good in fights because they dont
know eachothers tactics when faced to fight equal numbers anyhow anyone who wish to create a clan will
be able to do so with clan stones a special item you require to make a clan.

However there are players like Talivar out there the ones who love to solo im not
sure you will like darkfall at all its anyhow if you wanna play like that require alot of patience.

You could be a lone adventurer, hunting for treasure, magical items and fame, or a mercenary selling your services to the highest bidder. You may choose to play a merchant, setting up caravans and shops in different cities, buying high quality hides from Mahirim hunters and selling them for top prices at Human cities. You could hook up with a few friends and be pirates, sailing your galleon around, plundering merchant ships, or choose to play the Dwarven blacksmith, crafting mighty magical weapons and armor, or perhaps a farmer producing rare herbs and spell reagents. The possibilities are unlimited.

And for those who arn't really into pvp and loves crafting and building houses of course you will be able to do that too
in darkfall you can craft more then any other game, and this will be magical items and armors that players are gonna need
constantly because when they are killed they can be looted, and houses/citys can be placed anywhere on Agon(Darkfall world)
who is a living breathing world grass swaying in the wind. If you kill of goblins in one area they will move to another and
leaved untouched for sometime they will create their own village and create young gobbos :)

Features (copyed from darkfallonline.com)

- Possibly the biggest online game world ever created, with four huge continents to explore, and hundreds of small islands.

- The best quest engine ever seen in a game, with literally millions of interesting and rewarding auto-generated quests to solve.

- The most realistic online game world ever created, with trees and grass swaying in the wind and dynamical clouds generated based on the weather in the area, real world physics, dynamic lighting and shadows, and smooth night/day cycles.

- Advance your player character any way you want, with more than 1000 skills and spells to learn and master.

- Superb 3D graphics, detailed models, smooth life-like animations and amazingly sharp textures.

- Darkfall supports actual ownership of resources and areas, making conquest and warfare an integrated part of the game.

- Exciting action-packed combat situations, with actual player skill and strategy influencing the outcome of the combat.

- The most advanced Clan administration and communications tools ever seen in an online game.

- Endless career opportunities. Be a humble fisherman, a legendary smith, a friendly baker, a trusted hunter, a superb tailor, a mercenary hiring your services to the highest bidder, a magician teaching other players powerful spells of magic, an explorer telling tales of dungeons explored and exotic islands visited, or a fearless clan leader, leading your clan to countless victories over your enemies.

- In Darkfall it's the players that run the world through kingdom building, conquest, diplomacy, strategy, politics, even a player defined legal system.

Anyhow personal feelings about the game atm, Its gonna be great, grafics looks really great
imo and a pvp system that actually gonna meen something for instance if you pk someone near
a town the npc guards are gonna react.
I put myself in the worst shoes atm with the race who is hated by everyone (the evil darkelves)
known as drow in adnd and if you wanna join the clan that is gonna go up on release date who
is gonna focus on pvp and roleplaying then be sure to check the url above. One thing that I've
never seen before is the amount of intrest the developers are listening to common people like
ou and me, their forum is cluttered with stuff that ppl dont like and like and wish to add and
dont want to see and everything is either commented or read by someone developing darkfall.

- Zorena

B

Brannor McThife

The concept sounds interesting, but I do disagree about the dodging, straffing, etc. not being used extensively before. DAoC uses a lot of dodging/evading.

One of the biggest issues that all MMORPGs face is limits. Limits in levels, and limits in skills. DAoC had a level grind, that after you'd done it once to 50, you really didn't look forward to it much the second/third/etc. time. Asheron's Call 2 made getting to 50 far too easy, made levelling far too easy (Huge quest XP rewards) and left players at level 50 with pretty much nothing left to do. My character there as level 50, and had/has (I think it'll be deleted soon) a few sets of the best armour. They then decided to make levelling harder, and still left the level 50s with nothing to do for months.

If, as you say, Darkfall has no levelling, but purely skills based - New Moon MUD is like this - then it's longevity will be very long, which is good. In that MUD, you "level" was determined by your overall skills. A mage could fight with various weapons, but couldn't train as high as a pure fighter, and the advancement would cost more gold/XP - you spent these to train, as well as advancing the skill by using it. If there's a MMORPG that implements this kind of system, then I'm all for it.

Graphics are graphics, and after the first few oooh's and aaah's, you tend to tune it down to make your system run faster. Of course, to be able to have 500 people fighting one battle and not have humungous lag would be very impressive...unlike DAoC where 500 people in a zone kills the server.

I'll read up some more on this...sounds...interesting...

-G

D

Driwen

it sounds promising, but Im curious wether you can set npc gaurds of the dwarfs to kill an elf as if that isnt the case than griefers might get out of hand. But even if it is allowed, it will be existing, but if someone griefs to much, he will be put on the kill on sight list of gaurds I would think.

And zorena can you not post this thread on several boards at once? One is enough thank you (even not sure if it should be on this board, as in the way you posted it it is more an advertisement than a discussion).

C

-chancer-

last time i checked this game out it was utter shite but that was about 4months ago

D

Damon_D

Thought it would be something like pre trammel UO , but the second you mentioned Counter Shit and Quake.. well you lost me... no thx...

F

Freppe^^

Play SWG zorena, its cool xDD I got such a cool swop now!

T

the_fnord

Originally posted by NairyK-
the game is in beta or is it in retail ? :)
Not even beta yet.... :(
Hurry dammit! I want it now! :flame:

T

Twaize

The problems are the clans.... Not many clans yet and most r as Shimmergloom evil races.... I wanna be a dwarf :D

R

rg-zorena

Originally posted by Twaize
The problems are the clans.... Not many clans yet and most r as Shimmergloom evil races.... I wanna be a dwarf :D
there are dwarf clans already

K

Khalen

I'll check it out once it's released or in open beta stage :)

T

tildson

The diffirence between evade etc in daoc and darkfall would probably be that in Darkfall you evade manually, whereas in DAOC it happend automatically based on your stats, which makes it less "fps-ish".

The features really sounds awesome! But will it only look good on the paper? Hopefully not, i really hope this turns into something great. Lets all just hope and see :)

D

darbey

I have been watching this game for some months. If WOW doesnt pan out as everyone hopes, darkfall will be one to watch.

PS Personally i love SWG, so much more than the repetitive boring dross daoc became. Not sure how long that will last but nothing lasts forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom