Dark Age of Camelot Newsletter 14

Solic Archers

Can't get enough of FH
Newsletter #14 | October 2017 View in browser

Welcome to the Dark Age of Camelot Newsletter. We'll be sending one out monthly with updates on the latest happenings in Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard!

The newsletter will contain exclusive announcements and rewards from time to time so please encourage your friends to sign up here.
Store
Twitch
Guides
Podcasts
83a0a28c-f00d-4464-b3da-05c87b86783a.jpg

Return to the realms of Albion, Midgard, and Hibernia and rediscover the allure of Realm vs Realm combat! Defend your realm from your sworn enemies! The Dark Age of Camelot team cordially invites you to return home!

ENDS OCTOBER 31st! Get your 30 FREE days now!

• Come back this Fall and receive 30 FREE* days on any account, in good standing, that has been inactive for at least 60 days! The 30 free days will be applied as soon as the account is reactivated; offer only extends to accounts that choose to reactivate between September 29th and October 31st, 2017.
• Come back and convert your currencies and get back into RvR faster than ever!
• Come back and participate in the 1v1 Tournament and Halloween events!
• Come back and complete the new daily RvR quests and enjoy the new areas to fight in!
• Come back and embark on the Dragon's Curse campaign!
• Come back and enjoy the new client updates and use the new Item Database!
• Come back and prepare for the upcoming keep improvements, website revamp, and more Mithril Shop offerings!

940bef11-b4b7-49d5-9d5c-52eb703dc9f9.png
Patch 1.124

Patch 1.124 went live during October!

Highlights
  • Check out the brand-new Realm Rank 5 abilities for Hunters, Rangers, and Scouts!
  • Faster action returns to Ellan Vannin!
  • Earn more Realm Points from kills!
  • Mithril-based item durability repair is here!
  • Character movement has been greatly improved!
  • Several requested bug fixes such as the tooltip-delve crash, +range auras, item stacking issues and much more!

Full Patch notes can be found on the Herald here.Followed by a Live Client Update, and follow up changes, including difficulty reduction on Curse CH6, here, and here.
e736d163-78d7-4b7c-aa75-8d3dd5eb4be0.png
Grab Bag

Read our latest Grab Bag here.

Archive
October 6th, 2017
September 22nd, 2017 | September 8th, 2017
August 25th, 2017 | August 11th, 2017
July 28th, 2017 | July 14th, 2017
June 30th, 2017 | June 17th, 2017
June 2nd, 2017 | May 19th, 2017
May 5th, 2017 | April 21st, 2017
April 7th, 2017 | March 24th, 2017
March 10th, 2017 | February 24th, 2017

You can send in any questions you have for our Grab Bags through our submission form! Please note this is for game questions, feedback should be sent in through our feedback form.
89b00010-4078-49c7-8f4e-adc5437b34c7.png

Chapter 8 of our new PvE campaign, A Dragon's Curse, launched October 17th. The factions of the Catacombs and the Darkspire lords launch a final assault on their lost lands!

Scheduled Raids:
  • Knight Tald will be leading a full Prologue through Chapter 7 raid on Albion, Monday November 6th at 9:30PM NZT/08:30AM GMT/09:30AM CET/04:30AM EST
  • Dozens will be running a Chapter 5 to 8 raid on Sunday, November 5th, at 7PM CET/1PM EST/2PM GMT
Please note: Daylight Savings in effect in EU where the clocks go back 1 hour as of Sunday October 29th, so please check your times well in advance of the raids! Any clock site, like worldtimebuddy.com, can help with this.

Remember!
Chapter 6 is a purely solo chapter, revisiting various old regions and zones throughout the realms. Summon your team to help battle your way through these dungeons! **Please note you do not need to have completed Chapter 6 in order to move on to Chapter 7, but will need it completed in order to receive credit and the reward on Chapter 10 in December.**

Keep an eye on the forums and DAoC Events page on Facebook for more raids!

Chapter 9 is scheduled to launch November 14th! Our Campaign Calendar and Overview can be viewed here on the Herald, and a current quest list can be viewed and followed here.
Events

5bb1292b-0811-4e07-8a48-9ff54fdd6cb2.png
Halloween Event: Trick or Treat

October is not just our favorite month because of the Anniversary, it's also Halloween! And that means haunted cities, candy and costumes, pumpkin patches in the Frontiers, and the return of the Mournful King instance!

Festivities began October 17th and will conclude on Monday, November 6th. Level 50 players should visit the ghostly queen, Lenore, in each realm's capital city to receive the new quest 'A Hallowed Lost'.

• Visit the pumpkin patches in the frontier to find the buttertoe candy pieces Lenore needs and get some exciting new Trick or Treat costumes for your realmmates!
    • Only the pumpkin patches in Ellan Vannin, Pennine Mountains, Jamtland Mountains, and Breifine drop the five buttertoe candy pieces she needs.
      • You'll want to get this year's Ghostly Harvest quest to help guide you to the pumpkin patches!
      • Defeat the hallowed ghost, mummy, night bat, walking dead, or gooey slime at the pumpkin patches to get the candy pieces.
      • Different patches have different candy pieces available.
    • Trick or Treat potions can be used on your realm-mates to give them randomized costumes!
      • These potions are usable in RvR now until the morning of November 1st!
  • Earn a new friend for your efforts!
  • Please note that this quest is only able to be completed once per character, including characters that completed it in previous years.

The Mournful King

a4750df2-453a-4b30-a2c2-c86d1cb595e1.png
The instance dungeon, the Castle of the Mournful King, awaits those willing to brave its powerful ruler's fury!
  • Level 50 players should speak with Lenore to teleport to the instance.
  • Earn armor and weapons with stats you've seen before - but with different skins!
  • Draughts of Supremacy and Otherworldly Helms also have a chance to drop!
  • This instance is meant to be extremely challenging and is therefore entirely optional and not required to complete the new quest.
  • This instance can only be completed once per day, per character.

Lenore can be found in the following locations within the capital cities:
  • Camelot: The Church of Albion
  • Jordheim: The Temple of the Aesir
  • Tir na Nog: Alainn Cuir's courtyard

1v1 Tournament

Our 1v1 tournament is in full swing with the Assassin and Casters archetypes already completed! Hybrids go head to head next on November 5th, with Light Tanks, Heavy Tanks, and Archers remaining. There is still time to sign up for these archetypes, so temp up, copy to pend, and put your name down here!

Winner roundup to date:

Assassins
  • 1st Place - Fantam (SB)
  • 2nd Place - Snowdog (SB)
Casters
  • 1st Place - Goinghurd (BD)
  • 2nd Place - Evoenia (WL)
Details on signing up and all tournament related info can be found on our tournament page on the Herald.
Screenshots

A selection of ingame shots from around the frontiers.
2e1137c9-8da8-4cf8-80fb-6a77df6b12e1.jpg

babb1523-20c2-44b2-9572-80fbc41d1d04.jpg

7854d213-7eed-41ea-931b-b5b53d1eaf73.jpg

33f83c6e-c19e-46de-ba48-a7a172432a5e.jpg

c13447bd-e885-46cb-aa7b-9430cbff0d24.png
Discord Community

Join hundreds of DAoC players to chat about all things DAoC, at any hour of the day, available on desktop, browser, and phone!

Register on Discord here, then click this link to join the main DAoC server! Come chat, we don't bite :)

There is also a dedicated player ran Battlegrounds Discord server which you can join through clicking here!
Tips n Tricks

This month's Tips n Tricks section features a video created by CDFTW on what to do once you hit level 50 to prepare for end game RvR. A great video full of useful info and directions!
46d801de-5caf-472e-9bb9-e6935cda8ad7.png
Community Spotlight

One of the best things about DAoC is our amazing community, the best MMO community in our opinion! This section of our newsletter aims to highlight guilds and individuals in our community, and give a little insight into the heart of the DAoC! This month we spotlight the infamous 8v8 player: Dansickle.

Tell us a bit about yourself - what do you do in real life, in what time zone do you live?

I live within an hour of the Broadsword headquarters in Maryland. Presently I'm a consultant. I provide editing and some translating support for Japanese, Korean and German based projects. I also do IT consulting and troubleshooting.

Any special gaming rig or set up?

Not particularly. i5 6700k processor, GTX 970, 32 gig of DDR4 PC24000, HD and SSD with 32" and 27" monitors.

Do you tell other people about DAoC and the fact that you play this as your hobby? What do they think?

If people ask about what I play, I tell them. To be honest, most don't care. MMOs in general have fallen out of favor with the people around me.

Is this the only game you play?

Haha, no.

How did you first hear about DAoC?

My best friend and I saw a promotion for it before release in 2001. I was deep into CS and SC at that point, but he never really got into the competitive side of gaming so we needed something to play together. He convinced me to play a paladin and tank for his fire wizard. Mistakes were made.

How many years have you been playing, and how often do you play?

I have played off and on since the release. These days I will log in a couple times a week.

What server/realm did you originally call home?

Albion/Lancelot. A place you know well.

You’re known as being one of the top group/8v8 players, how did you find yourself so involved with this playstyle and community?

I'm pretty sure the first part of your question will be met with great incredulity by said group/8v8 players. Sparing Joel and the community another DAoC history lesson, I got the taste of it by the alliance groups Treya ran when people were first hitting 50. The coordination and strategy it takes is still unlike any other game.

Do you indulge in other playstyles also?

I used to solo on assassins a fair bit and, for the sake of research, have been joining zergs for keep defenses and assaults recently.

8v8/group players tend to switch realms a lot, what drives this switch?

The #1 reason these days is action. Groups are looking for the realm that has the most roaming groups to fight. You can't 8v60 anymore, so fighting the zergs isn't an option.

What realm currently pulls ahead for 8v8’ing, or do group setups vary too much for one to dominate?

There is a lot of interplay between specific setups. But Albion has remained the top realm for years based on the strength of its casters (sorc, theurg and the revamped necros in particular). These are all very strong classes on their own which also provide pets which you must deal with.

Which classes do you hate and love to fight against most, and why?

Currently, I'd say the necro is the class I hate the most to fight. It feels like it can just do everything including 3 shot you in the hands of a skilled player. Love? Can't really think of any.

What makes for a great 8v8 fight?

Winning.

In the past, keep and zergs fight were usually backed up by a realm’s 8v8 teams helping from behind or flank, this doesn’t happen as much anymore, why is this?

The reduction in the effectiveness of CC, combined with everyone being high RR and well templated now, makes it so that individual player impact is much lower than it has been in the past. 8v8 groups used to be able to clump CC and then shred a dozen people before CC ended. Another big change is how well zergs can recover. Almost limitless power, instant rezzes and heroism/supremacy pots mean that killing 20 people just isn't devastating anymore.

Do you have a favourite class overall/per realm?

Cleric/Bard/Shaman

21dafd6c-d562-408b-b92d-d55f15abf92e.png
How do you feel about the current 8v8 game, and what, if anything, would you like to see changed to help or promote this playstyle?

First thing is that a number of the 8v8 people need to get over themselves (and I say this knowing full well I was just like them). The beauty of the game is that people can play whatever way they like, so you're gonna get zerged and you're going to have people add on your fights. They're just playing the game their way. The best way to promote the playstyle is to have instanced group v group combat (and before people get upset, it wouldn't need to provide rps). The people who are deadset on 8v8ing will run to specific spots to fight each other in an attempt to avoid everyone else while they're doing it. Barring that, having a better area (read: flat and large) in the frontiers to do the fights would help as well. All of the towers and terrain in New Frontiers make it more difficult for the kind of drawn out fights that happen now.

How do you feel the 8v8 game has changed over the years?

This mostly relates to my answer above. Back when you and I started 8v8ing, groups simply roamed to find fights. Because of that you would get jammed or added on or zerged down while fighting constantly. Half the skill was figuring out how to position and win the fights while dealing with that. These days people view 8v8 more like duels, going to a specific location, making sure everyone has enough space and pulling off if anything happens. Another huge change is just how long fights are. The insane power regen rates mean that fights last minutes instead of seconds now. Even into the mid 2000's, we could kill good groups within 20-30s.

There is an understanding that even one person not playing to their usual strengths can cause a group to fall apart, is this just excuses for when a group loses a fight, or an actual thing?

Is this your way of implying that our losses on St. Paddy's Day were not due to a certain someone's activities before, during and after RvR? Because I'm sorry to tell you, you certainly can throw fights for your groups. Especially now that there isn't nearly the difference in skill between players, every person matters in a fight.

What advice would you give to individuals who are looking to get more involved in the 8v8 community?

Be patient. It's a steep learning curve. Honestly, despite its reputation, the vast majority of the community isn't toxic and is happy to help people. You just have to come in being willing and ready to improve your play.

Similarly, what about a guild who’d like to focus on the 8v8 aspect of DAoC?

Come into IRC, ignore the trolls and ask for fights. Just like for the individuals, be patient. You're going to lose early. Talk to the groups you're fighting and get their feedback on how to play better.

What do you see for the future of 8v8?

I see a fairly stable and steady community that will keep it going until they shut down the servers. Implementing the terrain tweaks, or adding the instanced RvR could go far to adding new players and excitement to it.

Thanks to Dansickle for taking the time to answer our questions!
bd38d10a-61ea-475e-95a7-a8fd0a6c8bcc.png

From the desk of our German Community Admin, Lea!

Kehrt zurück nach Camelot - noch ist Zeit!

Unsere Kehrt zurück nach Camelot-Kampagne, bei der Accounts 30 kostenlose Spieltage erhalten können, vorausgesetzt sie verfügen über keine Account-Strafen und sind für mindestens 60 Tage inaktiv gewesen, läuft nur noch wenige Tage! Bis Ende des Monats habt ihr noch Zeit, eure berechtigten Accounts wieder zu öffnen, um die kostenlose Spielzeit einzustreichen. Bitte beachtet hierbei: Es wird eine Kreditkarte benötigt, um die 30 Tage Spielzeit kostenlos zu erhalten. Solltet ihr keine Kreditkarte zur Verfügung haben, könnt ihr euren Account selbstverständlich auch mit einer Spielzeit-Karte wieder öffnen; in dem Fall erhaltet ihr 30 kostenlose Spieltage zusätzlich zu der mit der Karte gekauften Spielzeit. Alle Informationen zur Kampagne könnt ihr hier finden. Loggt euch ins Spiel ein und entdeckt alle Neuigkeiten und Verbesserungen!

A Dragon’s Curse - Der Fluch des Drachen-Kampagne - Kapitel 8

Die Kampagne geht in den Endspurt! Kürzlich ist Kapitel 8 erschienen, sodass uns nur noch ein weiteres Kapitel vom Finale im Dezember trennt! Kapitel 8 führt euch zurück nach Childe’s Tomb, Drakulvhamn und den Riss, um den letzten Wegpunkt und die Brücke in eure Heimat ein und für alle Mal zu schließen!
Übrigens: Auf unserem offiziellen Discord-Server gibt es laufend Ankündigungen zu Kampagnen-Raids in allen Realms! Wenn ihr also Anschluss an einen Raid sucht, zögert nicht euch dem Discord-Serveranzuschließen, um keine Ankündigung zu verpassen!

Auf der Übersichtsseite zur Kampagne findet ihr alle Informationen zu den bisher erschienenen Kapiteln.

1v1-Turnier 2017

Die ersten zwei Archetyp-Runden sind abgeschlossen und den Zuschauern wurden viele spannende und unterhaltsame Kämpfe geboten! Auf Grund der Feiertage in den USA finden an diesem Wochenende keine Kämpfe statt, aber in der darauffolgenden Woche geht es mit den Hybriden weiter. Ich hoffe auf zahlreiche Anmeldungen von deutschsprachigen Spielern, damit ich euch im Twitch-Chat anfeuern kann! Alle Informationen findet ihr auf der Übersichtsseite des Turniers.

Ein kleiner grundsätzlicher Tipp zu Quests und Monster-Begegnungen

Ein häufiger Grund für Schwierigkeiten dabei, eine Quest abschließen zu können oder eine Monster-Begegnung gutgeschrieben zu erhalten, ist eine volle Liste der erledigten Quests. Hierbei könnt ihr euch aber ganz einfach selbst bei helfen! Reist mit eurem Charakter in die Hauptstadt eures Realms, und sprecht dort mit dem NPC namens Quest Journalist. Ihr findet ihn in der Nähe des Eingangs zum Thronsaal. Klickt auf alle angebotenen Schlüsselworte, und der Quest Journalist wird eure Liste der erledigten Quests leeren. Es empfiehlt sich, diesen NPC mit allen Charakteren zu besuchen, mit denen ihr viele Quests abgeschlossen habt, also wartet gar nicht erst, bis Schwierigkeiten mit Quests auftreten, sondern besucht ihn möglichst bald!

Freitags-Grab Bag

Die Freitags-Grab Bag beantwortet im Zwei-Wochen-Rhythmus Fragen aus der Community zu Spielmechaniken, Klassenfunktionen und dem Spiel im Allgemeinen. Die Ausgabe vom 06. Oktober beantwortet Fragen zu sekundären Handwerksfähigkeiten, der Nutzbarkeit des „Realm“-Buttons im Spielclient, dem Erfahrungsgewinn von Malmern, dem geheimnisvollen Draginium Ore sowie zu den unterschiedlichen Schadensarten von Pfeilen.

Die aktuellste Ausgabe vom 22.10.2017 wiederum enthält Fragen dazu, wann die angekündigten neuen Helme im Mithril-Shop verfügbar sein werden, die unterschiedlichen Trefferchancen auf Rüstungsteile, dem Chat-Mitschnitt, wie man Artefakte wieder los wird und was Patch 1.125 mit sich bringen wird!

Wenn ihr News habt, von denen ihr denkt, dass sie in den Newsletter gehören, lasst es unsere deutsche Community Administratorin [Shileah] über die Postcount.net-Foren wissen, oder kommt im Discord-Server vorbei!
7524a7f1-fdae-496f-9f67-ef03c86c5368.png
Albion
Maximilian…my husband…taken by the evil lord, Decimus. We must make our way into the Catacombs, vanquish the Tenebrous leaders, and find those responsible for this Undead uprising. We will put an end to their unholy crusade soon. There are reports of a waypoint opening within Childe’s Tomb. Our path into the Catacombs may begin there.
--Commander Selan

Midgard
The fifth stone is within reach, Warriors. Those from the deepest darkness, Darkspire, are making their way into Drakulvhamn once again. There is a waypoint within these dark caves, and our enemies are once again sending reinforcements to reclaim Drakulvhamn. The only way they could create such a rift powerful enough to travel through space instantly is with a stone of power. Find the waypoint, defeat the Darkspire lords, and claim the final stone. Then, we head into the Sanctum to find Garmr! Make haste!
--Oracle Sabna

Hibernia
Salle is still gone, but that doesn’t mean the Abagath march will slow! We have found the Life Stone, and with it, we are one stone away from beginning our march into the Catacombs. There is an opening within this rift, Heroes! My scouts report that the Marrach, Glimmer, and Darkspire are launching one final assault to reclaim this portion of the Veil. I leave it to you to stop them. Let us hope Salle is back before long with information on our stones of power.
--General Riarona

A Look Ahead

325ef998-68f7-4546-bd16-1308b50b582f.png
Producer's Letter

We’ll have a Producer’s Letter coming out in the coming weeks that will announce our upcoming plans, features, and some additional news!

Keep your eyes on the Herald!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
As arrogant and annoying as the developers of current DAOC think I am, I genuinely wager money on me alone doing a better job than their entire team.. they seem to be completely missing the point in the game and what people want (excluding the handfull of arse lickers that vehemently defend the developers). They basically just keep throwing petrol on an already raging fire.

If people wanted their current model their subscriptions wouldn't be continously dropping and I don't buy for a second the whole "well the game is old" argument, horse shit, everquest 1 is much older than DAOC and it's still maintaining a solid playerbase.

Last edited:

Himse

FH is my second home
As arrogant and annoying as the developers of current DAOC think I am, I genuinely wager money on me alone doing a better job than their entire team.. they seem to be completely missing the point in the game and what people want (excluding the handfull of arse lickers that vehemently defend the developers). They basically just keep throwing petrol on an already raging fire.

If people wanted their current model their subscriptions wouldn't be continously dropping and I don't buy for a second the whole "well the game is old" argument, horse shit, everquest 1 is much older than DAOC and it's still maintaining a solid playerbase.

Just not worth wasting your time even ranting.

The only people left playing the game are pretty die hard fans, it's unfortunately on its last legs. Just don't sub & it'll die out eventually.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just not worth wasting your time even ranting.

The only people left playing the game are pretty die hard fans, it's unfortunately on its last legs. Just don't sub & it'll die out eventually.

I want to rant tho :p it makes my blood boil that these hacks are running it into the ground. I have a sentimental attachment to DAOC.

Himse

FH is my second home
I want to rant tho :p it makes my blood boil that these hacks are running it into the ground. I have a sentimental attachment to DAOC.

Don't we all :D I ranted and what not, but they don't really care. They're building a shit attempt at Dark Age of Warcraft & its really starting to die now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yup, dead horse. Just walk away.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Instance flat 8v8 area? Sounds stupidly boring and something you'd find on a private server with 13 people online at peaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom