Dark Age of Camelot is getting a free-to-play mode called 'Endless Conquest'

Solic Archers

Can't get enough of FH
The fantasy MMO Dark Age of Camelot has been around since 2001, even through the demise of original developer Mythic Entertainment in 2014. Last week, producer John Thornill of Broadsword Online Games, which took over the game prior to Mythic's closure, announced big plans for 2018, which will include the rollout of a new free-to-play option called Endless Conquest.

"The Endless Conquest will be a new account type that allows players to enjoy Dark Age of Camelot through level 50 (and beyond) for free, without a paid subscription, forever," Thornhill explained. "Endless Conquest players will be able to level all the way to 50 on a limited selection of classes, participate fully in RvR [Realm vs Realm], and earn Master Levels, Champion Levels, and Realm Rank—to a point."

That "point," detailed in the FAQ, would be restrictions on character slots, classes, home ownership, tradeskills, XP and coin gain rates, and other aspects of the full game, some details of which are still being nailed down. But the core elements of DAoC, including access to all expansions up to and including Labyrinth of the Minotaur (which, for the record, came out in 2006) are all there. Plus it's free, which is always a positive.

Endless Conquest is currently limited to new accounts, although the developers are giving thought to enabling owners of lapsed accounts to transfer over.

The new mode also opens the door to an "alternative ruleset server," although that's still a long way down the road. "As things stand now, there are two major obstacles preventing the launch of one in the near term (as in this next year)," Thornhill wrote. "The first is that everyone seems to have a different view of what the perfect alternative server ruleset would include. We knew this going in, and feel confident we can deliver a ruleset that would be both highly engaging and appealing to a wide swath of former and new players alike."

"That being said—as we have previously stated, we would never create an alternative ruleset server unless we were confident in the Ywain server’s population and health. This is the second and much more challenging obstacle. The Endless Conquest is going to be a huge step in overcoming it."

Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest is currently expected to go live in the fall of 2018.

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT DISCORD SERVER: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Read more at Dark Age of Camelot is getting a free-to-play mode called 'Endless Conquest'

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It will still be shit and it will still be run by Broadsword...so wondering why anyone should care?

Also worth noting that they have reverted to dangling the "alternative ruleset" carrot bullshit again. Good work.

An absolutely pathetic excuse for a developer, the sooner they run out of money, the better.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Best Rule set would be what everyone wanted with Uthgard .... SI and Classic zones with OF.

Would probably say this was when the game was at it's best OH and put Characters back to that ruleset get rid of all ARSE 1/2 changes they done to them.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Have to agree with Raven on this one, they keep dangling that new ruleset infront of people but realistically I don't see them ever doing one, they just don't have the population to spread around different servers at this point.

gohan

FH is my second home
completely pointless. You get the game for free as a new player anyway with a 30 day trial. it's almost impossible not to be lvl 50 and 3l9 in those 30 days now anyway and do it with no restrictions.... who want's to play a really shit version of a really old game? even if it is free?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
completely pointless. You get the game for free as a new player anyway with a 30 day trial. it's almost impossible not to be lvl 50 and 3l9 in those 30 days now anyway and do it with no restrictions.... who want's to play a really shit version of a really old game? even if it is free?

Agree with that too, I'd go as far as saying you can get to RR7-8 casually in 30 days from level 1.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Clerics, druids and shamans not available on free accounts. Jewellery not available on free accounts. Spellcrafting and alchemy not available on free accounts.

Etc...

CorNokZ

As of this time Endless Conquest accounts will have the following limitations:

• 1 character slot
  • 4 classes available in each realm (not spec-buffing classes).
  • Will be unable to use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
  • Experience, bounty point, coin, and realm point gain will be significantly reduced and/or throttled compared to normal accounts.
  • Will be limited to a maximum Realm Rank of 3L9.
  • Cannot learn tradeskills
  • Can only trade player-crafted items.
  • Purchaseable access to the personal vault or /bank.

CorNokZ

Lol, either go all the way or don't do it.

"I'll just log on my 3L9 mauler and have a great time, GG"

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Only way game be playable is if they only have they own server...Waste if they with fee paying customers

Matmardigan

Part of the furniture
I miss the times around 2002-2004 realy much. Was a honor to play with and against you guys, even most of you were wankers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom