Daoc's Engine

Gamah

Banned
We all know the engine is quite scalable..However it is *Starting* to look a bit behind the times (ala Everquest 2)...Does anyone know if the engine is capable of bit mapping? or any of the other new techs..Or is scalible enough to add these features at all.

I'm not too sure on how game engines work but I assume you can just add features like bit mapping etc by reprograming parts of the engine?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gamah said:
That doesn't answer my queston :eek:

they add new engine to add in new sparklies ;)

(well it's just an advancement of the old engine, almost always included in an expansion pack: compare SI to Classic, ToA added trees, Catacombs improves models...)

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Just load daoc up in classic mode for 15 mins..shows you how far they have come..although...dont think you can now..super classic or nothing...but hey..i remember.

Gamah

Banned
Aye it improves textures and models etc..but what i'm asking if the engine is capable of adding technicaly new things like bit mapping etc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gamah said:
Aye it improves textures and models etc..but what i'm asking if the engine is capable of adding technicaly new things like bit mapping etc.

I'd imagine so - they could probably scrap the current rendering engine entirely and make a 2d one if they wanted.

However the main difficulty is not in upgrading the engine but making it compatible with the old textures etc. There's a massive amount of content: models/art/textures in daoc which any new client needs to be able to handle.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:

Well they added in reflections in SI, and looks like some nifty environmental lighting in catacombes...so im guessing they are examples of added technology..but ofc every engine has its limits..although you can tweak and add things pretty much infinitely..in the end its not aas good as an engine built from ground up with the new things in mind. every engine eventually becomes limited..and slower in this respect.

this is just my view/understanding ofc.

Norvindus

Can't get enough of FH
The Engine used in the new Expansion (catacombs) is NetImmerse 3D from NDL, go look it up so you can see what it supports, and what it is capable of.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
sounds pretty nice tbh. if only catacombes was here alrdy..im so goddamn bored of the game atm

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:
I'm not too sure on how game engines work but I assume you can just add features like bit mapping etc by reprograming parts of the engine?
I don't know what you're driving at, but "bitmapping" hardly sounds like new technology to me; in fact, it sounds like an age-old 2D technique.

Anyway, each major new expansion (SI and ToA) has brought with it a major improvement of the graphics engine; the same is happening with Catacombs, I think. Naturally, the game is old, but a client/server-based game like this should be possible to improve almost indefinitely when it comes to the graphics.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
FPS vs Eye Candy

To be honest I still go all gooey inside wehn I think back to some of the early Amiga and PC games. They didn't have swish gfx really but they still rocked.

Having that engine in DAoC2 would be lovely but I'd prefer the game to run properly for everyone than just a few with a ninja PC (like me :clap: )

Gamah

Banned
Sorry I ment bump mapping =) which the engine seems to support (according to the links)

I was in the "amega" generation too, the original settlers rocked!!! (all downhill from there)

However Graphics although not thos most important thing to many people are still quite important..we all like eye candy :).

Its nice to see the engine can still be expended and daoc..still looks swish, the expandable engine has helped daoc still be one of the most popular mmorpg's around and still and content with todays games.

I love swish graphics, i'm one of those types..but I agree that I hate playing a glorified demo (doom3 anyone)..I think HL2 brought everything in nicely..

However mythic seemed to neglect the citys in all expantions (for some reason) they are still running classic textures. Thanks for the help on the issue as stated i'm not too clued up on how games work, I just turn on the screen and oggle :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
they were wanting to upgrade the cities in catacombs but didn't have time - maybe a freebie expansion ;)

They've cut off the Classic support so this means they can add in much more complex geometry to the old world - something like Cliffton just wasn't possible in the Classic client.

Now they're free to add things that break the classic client in the old world :)

They still support quite old hardware though - NF might run like a dog mind you ;) but you can still run around classic/SI zones on an old machine.

Unlike new shiny EQ2 which as a new game can afford to set a new minimum requirement - they won't piss off X% of their punters ;)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
The current ToA engine seems to support simple shaders on Nvidia-cards; I was able to get fancy metallic looks on some items (for example, check out the golden armor on ToA sphinxes) using my old Geforce 4, but not using my Radeon 9700. Incidentally, "shaders" for reprogrammable graphics pipelines is the new buzzword in the industry, essentially a more general mechanism that allows for a superset of techniques in which bumpmapping is one. I expect this will be much better supported in Catacombs.

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
The DAoC (NetImmerse) engine has been updated pretty much every expansion. The thing is, with (possibly) tens, maybe hundreds of characters on screen, using bump mapping etc isn't really a good idea... Or how does your computer handle a zerg? ;)

It's not like WoW or EQ2 graphics are something amazing compared to DAoC. I haven't played EQ2 but WoW certainly wasn't at the same level.

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
We all know the engine is quite scalable..However it is *Starting* to look a bit behind the times (ala Everquest 2)...Does anyone know if the engine is capable of bit mapping? or any of the other new techs..Or is scalible enough to add these features at all.

The Everquest 2 Engine would suck bigtime in Battles. I played the Beta and we tried a Raid with 24 Charakters against some Mobs. It was teh Dia Show.

I think they could add lots of other Techs to Daoc. The Engine they use gets upgraded very often. Lets take a look at the Trees for Example. Those are Speed Trees. All those Trees could be animated but i think they don't do it because it would be the FPS Killer in large Battles.

Here is a link:

http://www.idvinc.com/

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Making a game with several hundred skinned characters on screen at once is not very easy. I'm not surprised Mythic don't have more bumpmapping and such.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Arkian said:
According to the catacombs press release it actually uses the Emotion FX2 engine.
From what I remember, EmotionFX2 is used for the new characters (i.e. faces and facial animation), but Gamebryo would be used for the rest (as before).

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Like i said..someone hand me a fat wad of cash for my next PC....tbh the day daoc chucks on a load of high detailed life like skins..ill quit for definate..cant afford to upgrade my machine more than once a year...even that much hurts..(i have 2 machines..the top one gets upgraded once a year..da other gets da old bits ;/)

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Rumour claims that the Catacombs graphics engine doesn't lag when you are at a zerg - like the current engine tends to do.

I really hope that rumour turns out to be true. :)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Azathrim said:
Rumour claims that the Catacombs graphics engine doesn't lag when you are at a zerg - like the current engine tends to do.

I really hope that rumour turns out to be true. :)
It could be true, maybe they've finally fixed the evil caching code.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Arkian said:
According to the catacombs press release it actually uses the Emotion FX2 engine.

http://www.mythicentertainment.com/press/catacombs.html

http://www.emotionfx.com./protomgd2004/index.html

Not sure if anything has changed since the press release

EMotion FX 2 is a realtime character animation system designed to be plugged into any 3D engine, game or any other product. The SDK is unique in the middleware market, offering leading edge functionality not available in other commercially available products and designed to complement the game development production pipeline in a powerful and flexible way.

As belomar said

Sharanja

Fledgling Freddie
Oblivion engine

For those drooling over the Oblivion engine, please remember that this is an ordinary rpg, not a mmorpg. This means that isn't meant to render some thousand odd Albs laying siege to your keep ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom