DAoC using huge amount of memory after patch

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone else have this kind of problems ?

When I log in, game.exe (which is DAoC) takes always 350 MB of memory, ever since last patch. When running one instance, I can't multitask to other programs anymore due to memory usage (or it's not exactly smooth). I have 512MB memory and I used to be able to run 2 clients nicely (hyperthreading helps much:)) but no change for that anymore.

I have precaching set to NONE, but I get the feeling it's turned to full because when I turned it to full, it used same 350 MB..
Shut down game when I tried different settings and all, and had it on none for 50 last times I've started it up :)

It's very silly :(

Bishibosh

Fledgling Freddie
Belorfyn said:
Anyone else have this kind of problems ?

When I log in, game.exe (which is DAoC) takes always 350 MB of memory, ever since last patch. When running one instance, I can't multitask to other programs anymore due to memory usage (or it's not exactly smooth). I have 512MB memory and I used to be able to run 2 clients nicely (hyperthreading helps much:)) but no change for that anymore.

I have precaching set to NONE, but I get the feeling it's turned to full because when I turned it to full, it used same 350 MB..
Shut down game when I tried different settings and all, and had it on none for 50 last times I've started it up :)

It's very silly :(
Well for me its generally around 250 megs... im not sure if it has changed as I never checked before 1.65 :/

Aldrian

Fledgling Freddie
Ive had very similar problems, got 768 ram and usually when running ONE client got about 300-400 free (with all the browsers, irc, winamp, etc open).
Now after 1.65 running one client, goes all the way down to 15-30 megs free and lags alot more too, I mean whole comp loads everything slower and its annoying as hell... rename some file and it loads up to 5 sec before it lets you rename, things like that.

Now, thats with NO precaching.. when i turn full or the armorskins only option it only gets worse, have to run two accounts with no precaching or I have to reboot to get out of game, the loading times are that long. No hope running in gothwaite harbor (on at least on the other account, got a screen what happens when I go in gothwaite if I cba to upload it)

In general, whole comp slows down noticeably when running daoc, one or two clients, no precaching or full.

edit: Now that you said it, I think theres at least some kind of precaching done whatever the setting is. The game keeps eating the memory loads even when done loading and in game, and seems to do it when you turn...
They changed the whole caching thing I think, and screwed it

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Ah! So its a DAOC v1.65 prob n not my comp....

Almost made me format c:

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Bump! Still same problem now that we have ToA (and I have it too). Precaching or no precaching, result is same, DAoC uses loads of memory and lately it's become impossible for me to even to alt-tab to windows without going LD. I don't like this at all :(
Also, when zoning for example, sometimes it can take 2 minutes until the silly loading screen pops up, not to mention loading. I used to load all zones in about 5-10 seconds before the Caching Patch, but now it's always more like 20 seconds or more..

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Belorfyn said:
Bump! Still same problem now that we have ToA (and I have it too). Precaching or no precaching, result is same, DAoC uses loads of memory and lately it's become impossible for me to even to alt-tab to windows without going LD. I don't like this at all :(
Also, when zoning for example, sometimes it can take 2 minutes until the silly loading screen pops up, not to mention loading. I used to load all zones in about 5-10 seconds before the Caching Patch, but now it's always more like 20 seconds or more..
Running WinXP? ( Pro? ) Try setting compability mode to win2k and try again. Works for some.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if this was just me but I discovered that rolling back from the latest nvidia drivers (dec 3rd) really helped! :) Like, LOTS!

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Tried stuff out:
Without any changes, the latest nvidia driver I had and no compatibility mode: game.exe uses 320 MB memory.
Same with compatibility mode: 399 MB memory.
Changed to some older driver of nvidia driver, still same.
That with compatibility mode: still same
:(

Almost every time I alt-tab from daoc, I go LD because it swaps so much (due to memory usage). And it swaps sometimes in-game too, especially when travelling some ToA zones like Stygia desert or Green Glades (where there is often some gfx loading lag-pauses to begin with).

What am I to do. All I know that I ran DAoC without problems since release until the silly patch with the caching option. I've tried all caching settings, with and without caching, as well as the middle option. It always seems to use same amount of memory, as if the caching was always on.
The problem appeared in caching patch before ToA and is same in ToA still.

I got 512MB of memory.. Suppose I'm gonna buy another 512MB but it feels bit silly because I've not needed it before and DAoC has always worked fine for me..

Tufnir

Fledgling Freddie
Also enable to view the virtual memory size, found out that ToA client uses 730mb of memory now, including the virtual memory...

(Task manager, view, select colums, virtual memory size)

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Tufnir said:
Also enable to view the virtual memory size, found out that ToA client uses 730mb of memory now, including the virtual memory...

(Task manager, view, select colums, virtual memory size)

Oh.. Haven't checked that but it probably takes even more then :)
Don't think they mentioned 1GB of memory in system requirements, eh ? :)

Bump the thread people if you have same kinda problems since caching patch.. It might be some kinda bug.

My brother doesn't have problem as big as this btw, he has almost identical PC (same gfx card, OS etc). He had older nvidia drivers but I tried those and it didn't help. Reinstalled DX too and all. He can't run two accounts very well either since the patch but it hasn't affected his ability to run single client so much .. WEIRD STUFF! :(

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
AMD chips dont do hyper threading

the closest you can get is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose youre game.dlls and right click on em and set priority to low on both of them

This should split the cpu evenly

Chronictank

FH is my second home
nope gives more to the active window
So...
now have 1.5Gb RAM, the bb still cant stick without eventually losing stick cus of lag. Only way to avoid it is click out of both windows on the desktop and it runs fine... not a very practical solution but it works.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
Chronictank said:
So...
now have 1.5Gb RAM, the bb still cant stick without eventually losing stick cus of lag. Only way to avoid it is click out of both windows on the desktop and it runs fine... not a very practical solution but it works.

check my last thread that will sort u out m8 :D

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
So...
Use /follow and/or lower process priority to low for both processes and you'll be able to stick that buffbot.

Starwind

Can't get enough of FH
If you have a gig of mem or more, turn your page file off ( swap file ), its made mine run better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom