DAoC Section

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Hi there

It has come to my attention recently that the daoc forum section has decayed into a complete shambles, every second post contains the same inane rubbish posted only as a catalyst for flame wars and to provoke various individuals into acting out of order.

These posts, at least in my opinion should be removed straight away, they have no substance, they offer nothing to the community and they don't even contain the "possibility" for them to develop into a decent discussion, no branch offs if you will.

The simple fact is, that alot of the trash is being left to form pits of forum disease as the current daoc mods seem to let them live. This is not in anyway a "flame" against the current mods, but perhaps they aren't as active as they should be.

Also perhaps recruiting an active (I.E. One who plays daoc) DAoC Forum section overseer or "sheriff" to manage the mods and keep everything in check would be a step forward.

One should realise that the DAoC section is quite clearly a huge part of the FH community and as such needs additional management to keep things clean, or at least productive.

Regards

Zedenz

Clown

Part of the furniture
He's completely right. Let's delete DAoC.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Daoc forums disease infested crap?
I would never have guessed.

Chilly

Balls of steel
He does make a good point, it would be much better for the daoc peeps as a whole if there were a couple more active daoc playing mods about that wernt afraid to get horney with the ban stick. It was bad when I used to play and read em, but it's much worse now.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
interesting to note its not the daoc players flaming this thread...

Anyway i do agree with zednek, power to mod the forum (or the duty to do it) should for the most case be limited to people who play the game currently or recently and are actually still in touch with the community, a lot of stuff like the flames, or cases where a mod gets pissed at something occasionaly, could be better delt with or avoided by people who are actually familiar with the community, not people who haven't played for years and seem to look down on the community rather than be a part of it.

Not saying that for odvious mod baiting the general admins shouldn't get involved, after all thats part of their job sticking up for the mods, but for community stuff people who read the forums because they are part of the community rather than having to as a mod would help, some players while not exactly breaking the coc in a single post consistently incite flaming in a lot of threads, something thats hard to report as no one post is coc breaking, but a lot of flames result from a few peoples spam. people who read every post because its part of their community, rather than admins who mostly check only reported posts would be better able to spot this sort of flame baiting

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
at last - some sense from the DAoCers (no flaming intended)

Although, it must be getting bad down there if the DAoCers are reporting it.

Sees a sensible suggestion - appoint some current players with limited mod capabilities and leave the existing mods with "super powers" if all hell breaks loose.

Chilly

Balls of steel
maybe more eOT type solutions? Nominate one person per subforum who is responsible and familiar with the peeps to have close+delete+edit powers or whatever.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I played DAoC. It was shit. I stopped playing.

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Lazarus said:
at last - some sense from the DAoCers (no flaming intended)
Alot of us makes sence, just can't notice us behind the few retards who shout the loudest. :p

A bit more on topic.. The prydwen boards have suffered from no mods for a long while. There is Requiel, Xalin and Zenythe, which are gms and generally don't have time for trolling forums. Then there is Ziva who is inactive, atleast as a mod, havn't seen her do something in ages. Then there is Tilda, Flimgoblin and Sharma who all play on excal and don't read the Prydwen boards. As said above most only read the reported posts, and don't see all the flame baiting and people get wrongfully banned.

Lethul

FH is my second home
daoc section is hawt and rulez megameighters :worthy:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well it seems to me you're doing nicely with this effort. how about one of you colaborate the data and PM your current mods about it? then they can discuss it in the mod-forum with the super mods and mana will rain down for you all to partake of.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
TdC in "Wise words" shocker.

Whats up teedles - you starting to act your age?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
:eek:

hehe it all depends on my coffee intake and the balance of my yang. I'm being nasty at work, so I have to be nice elsewhere ;)

Poag

m00?
TdC said:
well it seems to me you're doing nicely with this effort. how about one of you colaborate the data and PM your current mods about it? then they can discuss it in the mod-forum with the super mods and mana will rain down for you all to partake of.

Having seen the Mods room [the Fabled Land of Cookies and milk] discussion and super mods aren't the samr thing :p

Nah seriosuly send it in a Pm to Film and hell put ti up for the other DAoC mods, Jup and Deebs to read. stuff happens quick if someone takes the time too send it too them :)

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Time to bump this again
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?p=2472695#post2472695
here we have jupitus jumping in and threatening someone with a ban for one post, whever this is deserved or not is debatable
However it serves to illustrate the point that a mod who has no involvement with the community is not enough, the occasional theat/ban for a one off reported insult is not what is needed, while this may serve as a slight deterent to odvious dieirl postings it does it happens so rarely it is mostly ignored (our fault for not reporting as much? possibly yes if we only have outside mods). However the first post on this thread is blatant flamebait, as is many posts by the same person. There are people on the daoc forums who constantly flamebait, but as its not all that offensive, just baiting, a jump in to smite one post mod can't do much about it.
We need a mod who is activily involved in the community, and reads the forum as part of his daily routine because its something he WANTS to do, not a chore. Someone who is an active part of the community would be able to see trends of who flamebaits, and action against these people would probably sigificantly reduce the amount of flames, spam and insults in the forum
occasional modding by uninterested people is not effective and does not help the community

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Somebody has to keep the children in order and that unpleasant task falls to Juppie. Can't imagine any grown up particularly wanting to wade through all the OMG I PWNZ U threads that the DAoC boards have disintegrated into.

Anyway, reading the post in question Juppie would be quite right to outright ban the person for his post, let alone issue a warning.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Turamber said:
Somebody has to keep the children in order and that unpleasant task falls to Juppie. Can't imagine any grown up particularly wanting to wade through all the OMG I PWNZ U threads that the DAoC boards have disintegrated into.

Anyway, reading the post in question Juppie would be quite right to outright ban the person for his post, let alone issue a warning.

The point of my post is that we need a mod or two who are part of the community, for whom it is in their own self interest to control the forums a bit

yes maybe jupi should have banned him. but that would have done nothing to stop the constant flamebaiting that goes on in the forums
and no offense to jupi, but he cannot do the job of keeping the forums in order when he is not interested in them and does not read them as part of a personal interest in daoc/daoc community
How can he spot trends of who is responsible for many flamebaiting and so forth if he only sees reported posts, most of these resulting from a respose to a regular flame baiter
most flame bait is not dieirl so cannot be reported easily and mostly reporting would just look like personal dislike

edit: while you may think such disparaging things about the doac forums (and it is true to some extent), this also ilustrates why someone outside the community is not likely to do a good job of regulating the forums, simply because they dislike reading it. Reading as chore rather than an interest is hardly likely to be comprehensive

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We discussed this with a number of users when the thread first came up and we have plans afoot to introduce new mods, if necessary, when the forums are re-structured following clustering.

To say I don't have any interest in the DAOC forums is incorrect... I played the game for a lengthy period and still have friends playing even now. I read all of the forums from time to time and have a good knowledge of who causes trouble on a regular basis. I wrote the DAOC section of the new CoC and have been actively enforcing the newer rules, and I can already see improvements in some areas.

Chill out, more changes will come when the clustering goes through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom