DAoC Screenshot Association

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Okay, okay, we're not quite as fancy as the RPSA, but what do we care?

DAoC was born in 2001, and since then it had MANY graphical upgrades. I recently started playing again, so I had to upgrade to Darkness Rising (and I never upgraded to Catacombs). Then I realized how beautiful our game looks right now.

So, the idea is quite simple, make some beautiful screenshots and post 'm in this thread.

You could use your own Webhost, your ISP hosting (most ISPs offer this for free) or one of the following sites:I'll start:
Images of Camelot

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
I'll post mine too then :> Not really rare tho.. And seeing i don't play alot in DR client, it's the nicest one i had on my HD.

sshot005.jpg

and
sshot007.jpg

and (ToA Client)
sshot.jpg

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
daoc graphics make WoW look kinda shit these days :) will post a few later on when i have finished my vid :)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
Always thought the sky of DAoC was the best of any mmorpg

Hmm, I like WoW's sky a lot, that one is really good too.
Other than that, currently DAoC's graphics look a LOT better than WoW's. WoW sticks more to a certain style, though.

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
i loved your merlin tower pic so much im using it as a background for me laptop :)

ill post some laters :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Raven said:
daoc graphics make WoW look kinda shit these days :) will post a few later on when i have finished my vid :)
rather silly comparing the two tbh as they are completely different styles,
wow uses the warcraft-esque models, and does it very well. The graphics are done brilliantly to the style they were tailored to not to mention how the WoW gfx desginers have done amazingly with less pixels to play with

If you wanted to compare daoc to something it would be the likes of Elder Scrolls, Everquest and maybe even guild wars, in which case the enviroment is great; the flowing water is briliant. But other than that daoc is left behind its rivals by a long long way. And to be quite honest is done by lazy designers who went with the "get better hardware" approach rather than tweaking things to their full extent.

I am not going to pretend to know anything about gfx design, because i dont but when you compare the specs of wow and daoc
Wow
800 MHz or higher CPU.
256 MB or more of RAM.
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better.

Daoc (DR)
Pentium III 1.4GHz or AMD equivalent
512 MB RAM
Requires compatible 3D Acceleration card with 64 MB Video RAM
DirectX 9.0 or later
(on a troll,. the armour looks stupid on any other char imo)
4.jpg

Guild wars
Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz or equivalent;
256 MB RAM;
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM
Guild_Wars__2.jpg

It's pretty obvious who put the more effort in to get the most out of the hardware

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
It's pretty obvious who put the more effort in to get the most out of the hardware

We-elll... not really is it? I mean, DAoC's textures are a lot hi-res but DAoC doesn't use ANY Pixel Shaders or Bump-mapping or any other fancy stuff. :/.

So in the special effects category GuildWars does get the most out of the hardware, but, tbh, everything comes at a price and the GuildWars shot looks rather blurry.

But man.. if DAoC used PS2.0 it would be so awesome. Altough they'd first need to fix their bloody texture caching system.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
*note
I just realized that DAoC does use PS1.1 for the water effects. I don't know about Guild Wars, but the water in DAoC does look a hell lot better than the water in WoW.

Speedr

Fledgling Freddie

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Chronictank said:
So they used a bloom shader to get some nice screenshots, so what? That effect has been used and reused by game publishers this last year to the point that it is meaningless, and it doesn't look too good either.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Belomar said:
So they used a bloom shader to get some nice screenshots, so what? That effect has been used and reused by game publishers this last year to the point that it is meaningless, and it doesn't look too good either.
i didnt say it wasnt, i am stating in daoc the gfx are inferior in my opinion out of the hardware it requires against the looks it achieves. It doesnt look good is your opinion ofc, i think the armour is better opposed to the american footballers of daoc who look like the armour is glued to them in little pieces
Theres a reason why game publishers reuse things, because they work...

either way this is going OT, so i wont reply to any more arguments in this thread.
Feel free to make a new one/pm me if we want to discuss this further

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
I have some beautiful scenery shots of hib OF in my first movie :p Its even got Raemon in it wOOt :D

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Give more old screenshots, mine were wiped ages ago :(

I remember Emain looked like a friggin green carpet on my first trip there (on lvl 42 or smt - around a year after release), anyone have a SS of that?

You can discusss WoW vs Daoc graphics for ages, but at least I think everyone can agree to this: Daoc graphics has improved alot :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom