DAoC Origins Website - Signup

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
PhysX is a now free API that can be incooperated with any game engine out there. The game systems software that is needed and provided by Nvidia makes sure that PhysX uses GPU acceleration if avail, or an extra board or the CPU. There is nothing that is state of the art about it, it's the present. (I'm adding physics API support to a certain 3D engine for certain project :p.)

What I wanted to say with OpenGL 2.2 was that you shouldn't count on OpenGL too much, it's in a fubared state at the moment. DX 10 and hence SM 4.0 is fubared because it only runs on Vista, it has little support in the industry. When DX 11 ships, Vista and SM 4.0+ cards will be more spread and the people who switched their rendering targets from OpenGL to DX will use DX 11 as they consider DX 9 just crap and DX 10 not wide spread enough.

But one shouldn't count on all of this too much, games development moved off to consoles in big style and to web browser games.

What I see currently are interesting concepts like TR and AoC failing due to low quality of software at release copy-cats of WoW taking a bit of the market.

Imho only niche products will prevail in addition to the clones, and niche products don't need superior graphics, they need the unique game play/design idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom