DAoC Origins - How to

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Let it go

I don't know why people expect Origins to A) Ever happen, and B) Be as good as it was 6 years ago.

It won't.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
free to play on this server atleast if i was up!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Let it go

I don't know why people expect Origins to A) Ever happen, and B) Be as good as it was 6 years ago.

It won't.

It's only natural.

People base future pleasure from something, off the peak pleasure they received from a similar/same experience in the past.

That's why the more you eat of something, the more disappointed you become, as the future pleasure doesn't live up to the past pleasure and each time the 'peak pleasure' of the past reduces.

Never thought you could explain a mmorpg with economics huh ;d

/end hi-jack

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bugz that's dependant on other things too.

If something is good enough, it keeps on the level of good.

Ofcourse it means that the initial effect shouldn't be a "shock" experience.

Also, bloodtypes effect some foods. Per example; meat always, always tastes as good(same meat that is) as it does 5 minutes or two weeks ago, because my body knows it's yum.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Bugz that's dependant on other things too.

If something is good enough, it keeps on the level of good.

Ofcourse it means that the initial effect shouldn't be a "shock" experience.

Also, bloodtypes effect some foods. Per example; meat always, always tastes as good(same meat that is) as it does 5 minutes or two weeks ago, because my body knows it's yum.

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Well...me? Other people? It's a fact?

For example, like i said, my taste of meat doesn't change no matter how much i eat it. That's proof of the subjectional aspect.

Not everything needs to be proven all the time you know. You don't go asking people to prove that the day "looks nice" :D

It's not like i questioned the obvious of your statement being psychological instead of economical.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Your idea if anything is more theoretical than mine.

You are expressing the idea that on a bell-shaped curve of pleasure for each piece of meat you consume, the peak is always the same place. That's sayign that all other things hold equal each and every time (the 'right' time to cook; the right supplements (mash vs. roast potatoes etc.).

I'm not saying it's impossible but I can't think of a single thing off the top of my head that I enjoy the same amount every time I do it...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's you then, that doens't prove that "everything works like this".

OFcourse enjoyment is deendent on the atmosphere, but as the meat example, chicken always tastes like chicken, UNLESS it's f*cked up in the making process or if it's VERY nice chicken.

The general taste experience of chicken, for me as an example, is neutral. There is no curve except if the chicken is prepared noticably better or worse.

Supplements and other incridients don't matter, as we're ultimately comparing it into an MMO.

MMO works more with a routine based boredom scale. You do soemthing long enough, it becomes work and generally work=boring. It's a must. And a must=freedom limit for people.

In my opinion.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
You enjoy chicken every time the same amount?

If I have chicken any more than 2-3 times a week; I get a bit bored of the taste and yearn for something else.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You enjoy chicken every time the same amount?

If I have chicken any more than 2-3 times a week; I get a bit bored of the taste and yearn for something else.

I do, that's what i meant in difference in people and also, the very interesting blood type effecting what's good for you and what you crave.

I could also say that it has nothing to do with the taste of chicken, but the routine of things that bores you out of chicken ;)

But this thread might go way over the OT line with that.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
So if you had chicken AND NOTHING ELSE for a whole week, you would not be bored of chicken?

And it has everything to do with chicken - since we're measuring the pleasure of eating chicken in an environment that constantly changes. Chicken is the test subject - the variables are the things which affect it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So if you had chicken AND NOTHING ELSE for a whole week, you would not be bored of chicken?

And it has everything to do with chicken - since we're measuring the pleasure of eating chicken in an environment that constantly changes. Chicken is the test subject - the variables are the things which affect it.

I would, and i know many who would do the same with given choice of food. I've got plenty of them though, in the meat department.

You misunderstood your second point; not chicken, but taste of chicken, eating chicken. If you bring outside effects into play, you can no longer observe the boredom of an individual towards one subject, but you have to observe it towards several and all the variables.

Example;

If i have a good day, i like to play, say, DAoC.
If i'm having a bad day, i don't.

That example tells you that it doesn't matter what the DAoC is, but infact what the day is.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not slamming you Tohtori btw - I agree with you in the sense that some things people get bored of way quicker than others.

But i do believe that eventually, you get to a point of consuming so much of one thing (or playing so much of one thing) where there are discrepancies in the enjoyment you get out of it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No offence taken or meant too and in some aspects you're right, i simply don't agree on the full scale of it ;)

Laddey

FH is my second home
DAoC was great, it will never happen again.

WAR is shite
WoW is shite
Bugz' mums fanny stinks of shite

Thats just my opinion anyway

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
X-Com is as good as it ever was, more than 15 years on. Sure the graphics dated and it seems basic by today's standards but it is fun fun fun and surely that is all that matters in a game anyway?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
It's only natural.

People base future pleasure from something, off the peak pleasure they received from a similar/same experience in the past.

That's why the more you eat of something, the more disappointed you become, as the future pleasure doesn't live up to the past pleasure and each time the 'peak pleasure' of the past reduces.

Never thought you could explain a mmorpg with economics huh ;d

/end hi-jack

Economics, or logic. Now that i think of it, there are lots of stuff that contradicts with your statement above.

But our friend Tohtori is working on something to still our hunger. He just needs to hire some staff to make things happen ;)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
your mom got horney, i satisfied her and now shes sleeping, going back in soon.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm trying to find the funny cuntingtons but it's NOWHERE TO BE SEEN. :(

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Aaand another thread turned into crap by yours truly... (yeah, you!) I know its "Off Topic" forum, but get a fuuucking clue. You argue like 13 y/o chavs on Vent..

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Aaand another thread turned into crap by yours truly... (yeah, you!) I know its "Off Topic" forum, but get a fuuucking clue. You argue like 13 y/o chavs on Vent..

i-dont-care.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom