Daoc net working stuff

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Right then, due to my growing insanity i decided to get a buffbot.

My pc did not have enuf ram and i was not gonna fork out money i dont have for more ram, as two accounts on my ageing celeron might not be a good idea.

"i need another pc, just like the way they used to run buffbots"

so i dug out a old motherboard i thought was dead with a fucked bios but now works again (wtf?), a p2 300 cpu, 32mb of ram from my currant "good" pc, and my old 64 mb Hercules prophet, some old 400ish meg hard drives, took out a old mobo from a case and put it all in and it worked but i had no OS yet, but i will nab the win 98 cd off a m8, anywho i digress. i only have one network card and i was pondering if direct cable connection would work for daoc, i can get a browser working over a direct cable connection useing a proxy programme, would daoc work tho? and how laggy would daoc be on the above specs? :D rember all it has to do is /sit and buff now and then.

before you say im mad and should buy somthing new, people told me sharing the net on a 56k modem ,over a parrel cable to a win 95 running 486 machine was impossible but i did it.

it would be win 98 connecting to win xp (or the other way around) using a parrel cable. the actual net connection is broadband.

would it be possible to set up?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Jeros said:
Right then, due to my growing insanity i decided to get a buffbot.

My pc did not have enuf ram and i was not gonna fork out money i dont have for more ram, as two accounts on my ageing celeron might not be a good idea.

"i need another pc, just like the way they used to run buffbots"

so i dug out a old motherboard i thought was dead with a fucked bios but now works again (wtf?), a p2 300 cpu, 32mb of ram from my currant "good" pc, and my old 64 mb Hercules prophet, some old 400ish meg hard drives, took out a old mobo from a case and put it all in and it worked but i had no OS yet, but i will nab the win 98 cd off a m8, anywho i digress. i only have one network card and i was pondering if direct cable connection would work for daoc, i can get a browser working over a direct cable connection useing a proxy programme, would daoc work tho? and how laggy would daoc be on the above specs? :D rember all it has to do is /sit and buff now and then.

before you say im mad and should buy somthing new, people told me sharing the net on a 56k modem ,over a parrel cable to a win 95 running 486 machine was impossible but i did it.

it would be win 98 connecting to win xp (or the other way around) using a parrel cable. the actual net connection is broadband.

would it be possible to set up?

Too me ram is wayy to low in the second machine to run daoc especially in si areas .. Over parrallel .. hmmm donno ... but network cards go for like a tenner so why bother .. get a network card and a cat 5 cross over cable use internet connection sharing from xp and you should be sorted.

You can probably get away with the cpu if u upped the ram .. and lowered all the gfx settings won't be pretty but it will probably work well enough for a bot.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Moriath said:
Too me ram is wayy to low in the second machine to run daoc especially in si areas .. Over parrallel .. hmmm donno ... but network cards go for like a tenner so why bother .. get a network card and a cat 5 cross over cable use internet connection sharing from xp and you should be sorted.

You can probably get away with the cpu if u upped the ram .. and lowered all the gfx settings won't be pretty but it will probably work well enough for a bot.

thanks, i dont intend to use the bot in SI tho, hell my good pc had problems with SI before i upped the ram and gfx card

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom