DAoC and large scale RvR

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I guess we can only hope that they take this into account when they create the Frontiers expansion - that is: that there is a considerable time spent on optmizing the code and stresstesting.
And even though there will only be one huge rvr zone it will most likely be run on a much bigger network of servers (at least that would be logical to assume) - At least it shouldnt be worse than today.

EDIT: its reassuring to hear that the US players have to suffer the same as us when doing large scale rvr. It does show that GOA's servers arent unique in chrashing during these events, and would imply that Mythic are probably dealing with it.

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
And even though there will only be one huge rvr zone it will most likely be run on a much bigger network of servers (at least that would be logical to assume) - in a best case scenario it shouldnt be worse that today.

It's technically very difficult to run a single zone split over different machine. If it would be doable, it would require a redesign of the entire game core, so I don't think this will happen. A Quad CPU configuration for the frontier server might help a little, but you're still likely to run into other hardware limitations.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
aye, with the problems we're having with the frontier's split I'd like to see how they propose to merge them without creating a bigger problem

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Thorarin said:
It's technically very difficult to run a single zone split over different machine. If it would be doable, it would require a redesign of the entire game core, so I don't think this will happen. A Quad CPU configuration for the frontier server might help a little, but you're still likely to run into other hardware limitations.

The limitation is solely software..

Performance benefits of a quad over a dual is not that great, I have run several quads on my personal network over the last 4-5 years redesigning the smp apps to get the best perf from them in this environment, the OS has a lot to do with it, however, unless we know what OS it runs on if anything and how it is configured guessing that a quad or a server upgrade "should" make it better is pure speculation.

Sometimes throwing cash at a solution aint the answer, sometimes its the simple things that work.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Shagrat said:
aye, with the problems we're having with the frontier's split I'd like to see how they propose to merge them without creating a bigger problem

Probably like other people have done, multiple svrs representing a zone or something along those lines is likely what would be used.

This would mean that there may be some sort of lag when "zoning" (This should not be confused with the normal use of zoning we know) predictive pathing would help alliviate this to a degree.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Thorarin said:

They could split the frontier zones from the homelands though with a system like teh capital city zoning which would mean they could run them on seperate servers which would probably reduce the load a lot.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
imo opinion every zone shoulda been designed so it could hold the server limit.. and the servers be able to cope with it.

was promised HUGE battles.. something this game is great for when it pays off.. but if we ALL decided to go to emain for example.. have a full on realm v realm battle in bowl.. server would crash yeah?

well it shouldnt. not what i was promised by the ads/manual..

can i sue under trade descriptions act if server goes down again? :)

atm it seems like the M25.. supposed to be able to handle it.. was promised to handle it.. but more and more peeps got cars.. and it dont work as well. shoulda been taken into account dontcha think?

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
Agree completely with you Ilaya every zone should be able to hold the max limit.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
orbin said:
Agree completely with you Ilaya every zone should be able to hold the max limit.

Hm.. so, when say Midgard raids hibernia with 250 people, and Albion's zerglings are 'just' 100.. And the cap is 400 people, would it be fair that Hibernia would only be able to defend with just 50 people? So if they put a limit, it should be some exeptions on the rules ofc.

But why should player A from Hibernia paying 12€ a month not be able zoning to a specified zone, while player B from Hib also paying same amount do can reach that zone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom