D&D Online

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
How will this compare to something like WOW?

http://www.ddo.com/index.php

I might be persuaded to join the dark side if it shapes up ok. And because of this.

Is Wizards of the Coast involved?

Yes. We are working closely with Wizards of the Coast, the author and publisher of the most recent edition of Dungeons & Dragons, to ensure that DDO is a faithful online representation of D&D. The folks at Wizards of the Coast regularly help us with our design and development questions, in addition to participating in a formal review process of our work.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Been interested in this myself even though never a player of D&D as it is following the rules of D&D to the letter, i.e. solo play is difficult, XP is not given for killing mobs its for effort / quests, instanced content ala EQ2 so the load can be spread properly so there never should be lag.

But its a year+ off (well according to the boards i was reading a few weeks ago) and by that time SoE will maybe have announced there modern day MMOFPS they been working on for years :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Been active on the DDO boards since it was announced and to be honest im very unimpressed with what i have heard so far.

The problem myself and many old skool pnp players have is that you will never be able to recreate the pnp flavour that made D&D such a great game in a mmorpg, it simply doesn't work.

The best this game will be is another mmorpg fantasy clone like EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WoW etc (ironically these are all essentially clones of the D&D system). The absence of real-time DM's and decent alignment rules means that the online version will bear no resemblance to D&D in any significant respect.

I have higher hopes for Warhammer Online to be honest.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
More news here about a delay >> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10721

It's interesting reading these views from regular players. I don't class myself as an expert at all and I am not a major player of MMORPG's anyway...but... I might see myself getting involved with this... don't know for sure yet? I love RPG's on my consoles but have yet to find a MMORPG that could hold my attention span tbh, too many offer too little variation imo, I may have not looked hard enough? I kind of hoped D&D would lean towards a more advanced group battle system as well, bigger battles, clans etc?

Does the idea of experience for adventures completed rather than enemies killed not give a MMORPG a more team driven environment? That is to say people are more likely to work together? Or not?

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
D&D online trailor released:

Official location:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1869

Or cheeky direct link to 30 meg trailor:
http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_dndonline_2_h264.wmv

Got to say - first impressions follow the above comments. It doesn't look that impressive - graphically less than EQ2 (a passing resemblence to WoW?) and the lead developer has admitted that the D&D levelling system isn't suited to an MMO (and rightly so I'd agree) so they've invented their own system for levels inbetween the normal D&D levels. I had high hopes for this game - I'll reserve full judgement until I've tried it but atm I don't think its going to be the next big MMO which I'll be ploughing a few years worth of effort into :(

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
On stress beta atm - Have really high hopes for this. It seems great!

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Tried stress test aswell and even tho i said i would never play a pure pve mmo, im gonna buy this on release day 100%.Very impressed.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Played US beta and i was unimpressed at first, however im an old skool D&D player, so it would have had to be incredible to impress me tbh.

After 3 days i was loving it, i won't buy it at release, but I will be watching to see how they develop the game and plan on playing once they fix some of the problems the game has and fix the content issue.

The beta is almost the final version and not due for a few weeks in Europe, Euro beta starts soon, sign-up at the official website.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Everything about this game sucks fucking arse.

The whole game is set inside a town! yes thats it a town.. when you get a quest you go inside a door and it leads you to some half arsed thing they like to call a dungeon.

You do the quest and go allllllllllllllllll the way back the way you came and hand it in.. rinse and repeat until your mind fucked with boredom.

There is zero fucking content guys notice how Tallen is not getting the game at release that just says right there he basicly didn't think it was good enough to warrant a buy.

I can't begin to say how much this game is going to flop about 2-3 months after release when every fanboi who loves the game right now gets bored of running 2 meters to the door of his quest.

Are these devs idiots? whatever happened to the adventure of getting to the dungeon? nope not here you stroll on in and whack a mole.

Guildwars (not that im a great fan of that game either) offers basicly the same gameplay but for free.

I think the biggest letdown when i go ingame was realising that this is it.. the town is the boundry you cannot wonder outside the town and explore.

Stay away from this game.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
anyone else on the beta? - just got onto it myself so gonna give it a go (despite what aada says ;) )

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Aada is right in some ways but i still think this game is great once u stop looking at it like other mmos,DDO seems to be 100% about the grouping and lving.
The instance quests>wow/daoc type xping imo but DDO will need a steady stream of new content to survive and thats the thing most ppl are worried about.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I got my beta invitation last night and the client should be downloaded by now. Finish early today, so I should be on the servers from about half 2. I'll try and be called Whipped if I can.

Haven't recieved my confirmation e-mail for signing up at the Codemasters site though. So don't know if I can login.

Yep, just tried to login and it tells me I haven't activated my account. But I haven't recieved an activation e-mail yet ffs!!!! :(

Whipped

Part of the furniture
The servers are only online from 12PM till 7PM. What the fuck is the point of that. I don't get home from work till around 6 and I'm usually hungry. So I'll get to help them out with their beta testing for about 10 mins before they shut the servers down. Great :(

Poag

m00?
Strange, I was able too login at 11 last night make my char run through the first missions, edit a video together, psot the video and then play some more before i went too bed.

Maybe they took them down for maintenance? this is afterall a beta :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Talivar said:
Aada is right in some ways but i still think this game is great once u stop looking at it like other mmos,DDO seems to be 100% about the grouping and lving.
The instance quests>wow/daoc type xping imo but DDO will need a steady stream of new content to survive and thats the thing most ppl are worried about.

This is pretty much my opinion as well.

Aada

Part of the furniture
But guys explain to me what content they can possibly add that will make it fun after you have entered that same door 5 or so times over for a quest?

They gonna make more doors round the corner from the Inn with so called dungeons in?

I thought MMORPG the first M is meant for Massive? this game is as small as a peanut.

Isn't this the sort of stuff they should be releasing on consoles? 4-8 player style gameplay? ;/

I look around on boards and the game gets bashed over and over again with the odd guy sticking his 2 cents in and saying the game is great.

WoW raised the bar for the future MMORPG im not a WoW fanboi but the game has fun painted all over it, ok i agree running the instances can get a little boring but atleast they add WHOLE new zones to explore every few months.

Whats this game going to add? another door?

I know none of you guys are going to buy this game after the 2nd or so quest i was thinking ''is this it? is this all the game has to offer?*

Whipped

Part of the furniture
If you zoom the map out all the way when you are outside then there seem to be a lot more locations. So maybe they've just localized everything to the one place for load testing and to get the mechanics of the instancing right ebfore expanding it.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Thing is tho aada the actual quests are way more fun than daoc/wow quests and thats what ppl like, but like i said they will need a steady stream of new quests ect to keep it going.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Talivar said:
Thing is tho aada the actual quests are way more fun than daoc/wow quests and thats what ppl like, but like i said they will need a steady stream of new quests ect to keep it going.

People get bored of quest grinding after a while dude.. hence there is nothing else to the game.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Yea but thats our point, what is there is great just here isnt enough to keep ppl occupied for a long time.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Talivar said:
Yea but thats our point, what is there is great just here isnt enough to keep ppl occupied for a long time.

Thats why the game will fail i think alot of the MMORPG community like abit of PVP in a game they play like WoW/DAoC for instance.

DDO is just going to fall flat on its face and after turbines last fiasco with AC2 i doubt any AC2 fans will touch the game with a barge pole.

The game is just doomed from the word go ;/ along with Lord of The Ring Online .

What they need to add to keep players:

Crafting a PVE focused game attracts crafters and there are a hell of alot of people who just like to craft.

Some form of PVP.

For gods sake let us out of the freaking town!!!!!!!!!!

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
People get bored of quest grinding after a while dude.. hence there is nothing else to the game.

The point of DDO is that it's not quest grinding, it's questing which is what D&D was founded on.

The "grind, grind to max level, then moan about the lack of content" mentality which plagues DAoC and WoW is only held by a minority of players, the majority of players enjoy this aspect of the game. The storyline, the immersion, the co-op gaming.

Those who "grind" their way to "finish" the game should really not bother, the fun of the game is in the playing, not the completion.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tallen said:
The point of DDO is that it's not quest grinding, it's questing which is what D&D was founded on.

The "grind, grind to max level, then moan about the lack of content" mentality which plagues DAoC and WoW is only held by a minority of players, the majority of players enjoy this aspect of the game. The storyline, the immersion, the co-op gaming.

Those who "grind" their way to "finish" the game should really not bother, the fun of the game is in the playing, not the completion.

There isn't any immersion what so ever in this game.

Dungeons just round the corner from the inn with a door? 2 meters away another door that leads to pretty much the exact same textured dungeon as the last?

No crafting either? cannot adventure outside of the town? ;/

There is anything but immersion in this game.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
There is adventures outside of town and i read of zones called danger zones which are supposed to be non instanced zones u can xp in if u like.I will have a look later to see what the zones really like.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Well im loving DDO when i can get into a decent team.

I also recently installed WoW,and tbh questing in DDO so much more rewarding.

I will be buying DDO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom