Current conflicts

taB

Part of the furniture
It's good to see more Titans dropping, there are too many of them now.

Edit: ET battle report up now - CAOD link

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
That quote from CCP shows that something was wrong in EVE from the beginning: it rewards the ISK clowns. Sure, can tell me about how this is a sandbox game and how the economy drives it and so on, but it's just pure bullshit.

If I am able to buy a bazillion of game time codes for real money and sell them for in game currency, how is this different from just buying ISK on the market, beside of that the profit isn't going to CCP?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
From a cynical standpoint, it's the same shit. The only difference is that you buy the ISK (directly or indirectly) from macro farmers rather than proper players (and macro farmers). :p

Doubt CCP would have had the cash to further development at it's steady pace unless they hadn't been able to offer the GTC for ISK, character transfer, multiple accounts and so on right from the start.

To try stay on topic, here is a random CAOD link: EVE Online | EVE Insider | Forums

What you reckon? BOB metagaming with knowledge of node load algorithms or just CCP fail when it comes to fleet battles?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i hope its the latter but i'm suspecting the former. theres just to much wierdness going on whenever BoB is involved.

i mean, its not like BoB havent got help from corrupt CCP employees before.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
To try stay on topic, here is a random CAOD link: EVE Online | EVE Insider | Forums

What you reckon? BOB metagaming with knowledge of node load algorithms or just CCP fail when it comes to fleet battles?

I think that looks like someone who doesn't really understand lag and server load. I have been thinking about maybe going into 0.0. But right now, with this kind of example of what you might face, I am not so sure.

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
Just think about what he's saying, he's sat in a fleet, getting lagged to fuck, hears a friendly cyno jammer going down, gets more fustrated, jumps to conclusions.

One thing is for sure, the lag is ridiculous, its why i no longer play and unfortunatley some players know how to play 'with lag' more than others.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
some players know how to play 'with lag' more than others.

Sounds like Bernard Shaw's 'some are more equal than others'.

I don't go for these major fleet conflicts - can safely say the biggest fight I have been in involved 60-70 ships and it was good fun and completely lag free.

Last nights scrap between 18 of us was a really nice fight...

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like Bernard Shaw's 'some are more equal than others'.

I don't go for these major fleet conflicts - can safely say the biggest fight I have been in involved 60-70 ships and it was good fun and completely lag free.

Last nights scrap between 18 of us was a really nice fight...

Well just to give you an example, when i was fighting in the north about 2 and half years ago, when entering a fleet fight we would naturally ensure that our sounds were off, turret effects etc. We were reminded to do this before each fight also.

The majority of FE and PA were not aware of this and as such suffered even greater lag, hence more casualties.

Majority of Bob players have been playing the game for a very very long time and probably aware of every trick in the book to cope with lag and more to the point their FC's are more experienced in accomdating lag into their strategies.

It's a terrible state of affairs really.

Small encounters are the way to go, but you can't always ensure that the opposition just won't bring a 100 man blob to your 20 and as such bring the lag with them. So they don't always come off.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
well thats always been Eves biggest strength and weakness. People do not like losing their stuff and so are not likely to engage unless they 'think' they have a fair chance of winning. 0.0 obviously has more at stake than simply ships and so the whole arms race escalates and with it comes lag. It just seems everything that is weak about eve gets exaggerated in 0.0.

Empire wars are all about trying to convince your opposition that they have a chance and to give it a go so you have to hide your main fleet or hide some of your ships. It is quite common for example to end up fighting who you are supposed to be fighting only to have two or three out of corp logistics ships appear and start repping your target. People use all sorts of dirty tactics just to win. Same as the blackbird alt in another corp became almost mandatory in low sec before FW hit the scene.

Thats Eve.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Aya, I can see neutral reppers be quite the shit. Props for the dedication, but sometimes it's just too silly to be able to play the game you need to have multiple chars running. (buffbots anyone?)

Imo, empire wars and stuff can be quite dull. If only one party wants to fight, the other sits in station all day.

Same with lowsec except FW.

0.0 roams can be fun, just raiding big alliance stations. Always some juicy targets in belts and unorganized people that undock to help. Drawback is that the opposition can become quite alot and you might get holed in 0.0.

In big fights the lag is so bad that it's useless. I can't bother fighting in 5-15 minute lag , if it was lag-free then I would probably play every day.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I think the current situation in EVE has a lot to do with the players themself.

No one wants to be blamed for the loss of a small scale fight. When blobing, the mistake of an individual has lower consequences on the overall outcome.

Was 2003 as true as 2008.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I don't really follow you Manisch but I totally follow and agree with Lordjox

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I think the current situation in EVE has a lot to do with the players themself.

No one wants to be blamed for the loss of a small scale fight. When blobing, the mistake of an individual has lower consequences on the overall outcome.

Was 2003 as true as 2008.

I'm inclined to say game mechanics -- POS rings a bell? SOV? Deathstars et all?

Small scale fights is what EvE should be about -- All my ingame skills and personal skill at EvE are based around small scale. I loved to get the rock on in 1v1, 10v10, etc. I specced for it ! It's what I know how to do best in EvE -- and there are many, many players that will tell you the exact same thing.

It ain't the players -- they changed the rules.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, noone said that you HAD to follow these new rules.

ppl can still 1v1 / 10v10, they just chose not to for the most part.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
It ain't the players -- they changed the rules.

Not sure if you've played from the start.

Corps like Evolution and all the other Fountain scum blobbed already 2003. They started to PvP in big Armageddon fleets, before they haven't been seen anywhere.

One night (must have been 2005, still pre-capital) I jumped (on mistake) with 6 Battleships into a fleet of 40, they wouldn't simply fight with much less.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Blobbing was used as a defence mechanism by FA -- I should know, was briefly with them. Same thing MM does today with their large bubbles all over Tribute.

When I said CCP changed game mechanics, I meant they changed the way people interact over "valuable" resources. Aka - Space.

CCP - "Look, we're introducing POSes, and you can have SoV."

Players - "Awesome".

Months later:

Players - "CCP, the system kinda sucks, we spend hours getting a POS in reinforced, and we need gazillion BSes."

CCP - "No problem, wait for the next content patch, we're introducing new capital ships which will make POS bashing easier, and we're changing how the system works."

Months later:

Players - "CCP, it still doesn't work, now it's too easy to lose space, due to capital zerg."

CCP - "No worries, here, have cyno jammers."

and now...

Player1 to Player2 - "Man, the XXXXX Alliance zergs us like shit."

Well I say - No Shit?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Got ya.

Yeah, it sucks. I fell asleep a couple of times when putting stations into reinforced, with no one there to defend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom