Current Charts etc.

E

Ekydus

Looking at the current chart in music ATM it's a shame to see that a band like Black Eyed Peas is at number 1. They cannot sing live, nor can they even get a number 1 without the help of Justin Timberlake in the background. Now, I know "pop" stands for popular, but the amount of recycled crap that is spewed out into the charts is sickening. How can a band like Black Eyed Peas, who evidently suck beat a band like Muse to number 1? Their new single, "Time is running out" is probably the best song they have produced and one of the best songs I know, and yet it only reaches number 6? It's disappointing to see the current state of music, the charts are mainly filled with songs like "Where is the love?", "Fighter" and rap songs. But this is just my opinion, does anyone else have any views?

Discuss.

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks The Darkness are VERY overrated? They are shit TBH.

Z

.z.

Originally posted by Ekydus

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks The Darkness are VERY overrated? They are shit TBH.

No. I heard one of their songs and I absoloutley couldn't stand it. Sounded like the bloody opera....

O

old.ignus

I think that the people with decent music taste will either download or buy the album, kids with little money and no music taste buy singles so really the singles chart is the kids chart. Also the corruptness of radio 1 is ever present, ever notice why one track is played constantly and others never get a look in.

And how the hell did you manage to get to earther in 6 months?

M

mank!

Originally posted by old.ignus
Also the corruptness of radio 1 is ever present, ever notice why one track is played constantly and others never get a look in.

They're called playlists.

O

old.ignus

well in that case they're playlists written by someone with specific music tastes or someone with a lot of money in their back pocket.

M

mank!

Radio 1 caters for a certain demographic and that demographic are those who tend to buy singles. The playlists aren't made up by S Club 7 fans but are made up of new releases and succesful tracks in the charts. It's very rare to hear anything older than a couple of months on Radio 1.

M

Munkey-

I think its that "where is the love?" song thats helped them to the number one spot. catchy tune if not exactly to my taste, quite popular with the girls if i may say so

S

Sir Frizz

In my opinion, Muse are the shittest thing before Evanescence. But that's just my opinion.

X

Xtro 2.0

Its not just a recent thing.

Zoom back to 1985, "The Chicken Song" by the Spitting Image crew was No 1.

1981 - Joe Dolce with the ohsofuckinghilarious "Shaddapa Your Face" holds "Vienna" by Ultravox off the No 1 spot.

The charts always have been full of crap but yep definitely now the singles market is geared towards tweenies its much worse. I remember the fuss when Stock Aitken and Waterman started churning out their production line crap - much the same as the boy bands now.

T

Tom

Who said the charts were a good indication of quality? I thought they were about sales.

T

Tom

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Zoom back to 1985, "The Chicken Song" by the Spitting Image crew was No 1

ooo I remember that

/downloads

S

Summo

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
"The Chicken Song" by the Spitting Image crew was No 1.
Written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor who were to become the creators of Red Dwarf, if anyone's interested.

But yeah, the charts have always been the breeding ground for shit music. I guess fans of decent bands buy the album.

M

maxi--

It's no big deal, i don't see how anyone can get annoyed, genereally if your favourite band has gotten to number one, they sucked a lot of corperate cock to get there, IE Sold Out, gave up on their art in order to make people like Pete Waterman a bit fatter and a bit more Arrogant.

This doesnt mean I'll dislike an artist just because they get high in the charts, I wouldnt expect it that's all.

People call me a **** all the time, one of the reasons is, they seem to think i DELIBERATEY like bands they've never heard of, just because they've never heard of them. It isn't my fault they haven't heard of them, It's the marketing/big record labels refusing to market and get behind anything that wont sell enough to make them big bucks. (i.e it aint every genre of music watered down enough so the mass public can swallow it easy)

p.s muse are shite.

E

ECA

Heres the current radio 1 playlists.
A list tracks get more play than b, b more than c, etc.
See if you can spot a good song! ( like wheres wally but harder ).

A Tracks

Christina Aguilera feat. Lil' Kim - 'Can't Hold Us Down' (8/9)
The Black Eyed Peas - 'Where Is The Love?' (1/9)
The Darkness - 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' (22/9)
Dido - 'White Flag' (1/9)
Jamelia - 'Superstar' (15/9)
Elton John - 'Are You Ready for Love'
Beyoncé Knowles feat. Sean Paul - 'Baby Boy' (6/10)
Kontakt - 'Show Me a Sign' (8/9)
Lee-Cabrera feat. Alex Cartana - 'Shake It (Move A Little Closer)'
Lemar - 'Dance (with U)'
Milk & Sugar - 'Let the Sunshine In' (29/9)
Muse - 'Time Is Running Out' (8/9)
Nelly, P Diddy & Murphy Lee - 'Shake Ya Tailfeather' (8/9)
Nickelback - 'Someday' (15/9)
Sean Paul - 'Like Glue'
Starsailor - 'Silence Is Easy' (1/9)
Rachel Stevens - 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' (15/9)
Justin Timberlake - 'Senorita' (15/9)
Travis - 'Re-Offender' (29/9)
Jurgen Vries - 'Wilderness' (22/9)

B Tracks

50 Cent feat. Snoop Dogg - 'P.I.M.P' (13/10)
Athlete - 'You Got the Style' (22/9)
Big Brovaz - 'Baby Boy' (1/9)
Mary J Blige feat. Method Man - 'Love @ First Sight' (15/9)
The Chemical Brothers feat. The Flaming Lips - 'The Golden Path' (15/9)
The Cooper Temple Clause - 'Promises, Promises'
Siobhan Donaghy - 'Twist of Fate' (15/9)
Dutch feat. Crystal Waters - 'My Time' (8/9)
Feeder - 'Find the Colour' (22/9)
Foo Fighters - 'Have It All' (22/9)
Linkin Park - 'Numb' (8/9)
Longview - 'Can't Explain' (29/9)
Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On' (6/10)
Million Dan - 'Dogz & Sledgez' (15/9)
Morjac feat. Raz Conway - 'Stars' (29/9)
Rishi Rich Project feat. Jay Sean & Juggy D - 'Dance With You (Nachna Tere Naal)' (8/9)
So Solid Crew feat. The Reelists - 'Broken Silence' (15/9)
The Strokes - '12:51' (6/10)
Amy Studt - 'Under the Thumb' (22/9)
Sugababes - 'Hole in the Head' (13/10)

The C List.

*B2K - 'Uh Huh' (6/10)
*Basement Jaxx faet. Dizzee Rascal - 'Lucky Star' (20/10)
*Blur - 'Good Song' (6/10)
Evanescence - 'Going Under' (22/9)
*Funeral For a Friend - 'She Drove Me to Daytime Television' (6/10)
Gareth Gates - 'Sunshine'
*Liberty X - 'Jumpin' (20/10)
Limp Bizkit - 'Eat You Alive' (15/9)
Louise - 'Pandora's Kiss' (15/9)
Outkast - 'Ghetto Musick' (22/9)
*Pink - 'Trouble' (27/10)
*Mark Ronson feat. Ghostface & Nate Dogg - 'Ooh Wee' (13/10)
*Texas - 'Carnival Girl' [Kardinal remix] (6/10)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 'Maps' (22/9)

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Ekydus
Don't like them either personally, but like everything in the music world except Westlife, it's all a matter of opinion.

R

r32

Originally posted by ECA
Heres the current radio 1 playlists.
A list tracks get more play than b, b more than c, etc.
See if you can spot a good song! ( like wheres wally but harder ).

A Tracks

Muse - 'Time Is Running Out' (8/9)
Starsailor - 'Silence Is Easy' (1/9)

B Tracks

50 Cent feat. Snoop Dogg - 'P.I.M.P' (13/10)
Athlete - 'You Got the Style' (22/9)
The Chemical Brothers feat. The Flaming Lips - 'The Golden Path' (15/9)
Feeder - 'Find the Colour' (22/9)
Foo Fighters - 'Have It All' (22/9)
Longview - 'Can't Explain' (29/9)

The C List.

Those are the good uns. A few of the others are listenable, but these are the only ones that warrant a download....er purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom