CSR or Self Regulation?

C

Cadire

A lot of posts on these boards are from people complaining about other players abusing bugs in the game to gain an advantage.

Without going into the ins-and-outs of each individual exploit, what would be the best way to deal with this issue?

Should we petition GOA to provide ingame CSRs, probably at extra cost to ourselves?

Should we try and deal with this ourselves, with Guildmasters shouldering the responsibility of ensuring their bit of the world is 'clean'?

Or should we just accept it, and whine about it, then move onto the next MMORPG, where we will repeat the same process?

I'm sure a lot of people have an opinion on this, but can we try and keep the discussion as civilised as possible (if that is possible!).

My own view is that ingame CSRs, even at extra cost, is the way to go, though I would much prefer the self-regulation route.

I like all others ingame, pay to be there, and therefore I am not prepared to have my game-time spoiled by the actions or others. Unless we have a sea change in the way people play the game, it will wither and die, especially as 'bug-fixes' are implemented very slowly.

So... waddya think?

A

Addlcove

you´re one cute kobbie

oh and seriously, the self regulation way would be best, ain´t gonna happen though, to many idiots in the game

S

SFXman

Cadire sure knows how to make useful, interesting and civilised posts. *Lother claps at you*
Problems arise due to lack of self regulation so how could we get this self regulation on our side to remedy the situation?
In-game CSR's would be nice, most problems that might go un-noticed could be solved in no time. Doubt the cost would be that much higher, it is not like we need an entire army of CSR's.

O

old.Belorfyn

Ingame CSR would be best and I wouldn't mind seeing them here.

The guildmasters' and other players' powers are pretty limited after all when it comes to cheats and stuff. There's no way for player to prove 100% sure for example that someone is cheating. Sure when someone seems to see you from behind tree in rvr, you think "okay that's radar for sure" and the seen player is probably 99% sure it was radar, but on the other hand the player who saw him probably doesn't agree on that. That's where we need CSR guy to tell who was right and who was wrong. Or if it can't be checked for that incident, the CSR can after appeal keep and eye for the suspected cheater for a moment and see what happens. Such observation and other ways aren't possible to players use.

C

Cadire

Ingame CSRs would certainly bring a level of much needed regulation into the game, but I'm not so sure that they would come cheap. I guess nobody outside of Mythic/GOA know GOA's business model, but employees are usually a company's largest investment. Employing somebody in France is also not a trivial matter, as they have very different employment laws from the UK (more aimed at the employee rather than the employer).

When all is said and done, DAoC isn't a young product anymore, and with new releases, from Mythic, coming along, any investment in manpower would require a pretty strong business case. That said, a largely happy player base is as good a reason to do it as any other... especially if the new manpower could be retained for future Mythic releases.

My own personal reasons for posting this are largely general. I haven't been a frequent victim of bug abuse, but I do see it. This game is in turn addictive and infuriating. If the infuriation becomes stronger than the addiction, people will leave... it's as simple as that. Of course software houses realise this, and marketing and development is done with this in mind.

O

old.TeaSpoon

Ingame CSR's would be best. As a GM I shoulder all responsability for my guild.

If anyone sees any of my members bug abusing etc. I like to know so I can sort it out.

D

Damon_D

ingame CSR because cheaters will be cheaters.. and sure you can kick em from a guild..but that dossent stop em from cheating does it ???

M

mirieth

Originally posted by Damon Doombring
ingame CSR because cheaters will be cheaters.. and sure you can kick em from a guild..but that dossent stop em from cheating does it ???

True enough. However, this is a deterent more than anything. To stop people cheating because they know they will be caught and punished.

CSRs would be a good idea, in my opinion.

D

Damon_D

Peopel will cheat even thou they know they have a chance of getting cought , and when they do I want someone I can call , and have em banned whilst I jump up and down with glee. IMHO peopel who where banned should be listed on the homepage.. no more " have you seen xxx lately man he is uber.." Now it would be " LOL have you seen that xxx dude, thought he was uber but in reality he was a cheating mofu " If they ever open a position as public henchman I'm up for it.. cheaters chars should be hang or be-headed in the capital city....Ok maybe I'm getting carried away.. but I realy realy realy dont like cheaters

M

mirieth

Originally posted by Damon Doombring
Peopel will cheat even thou they know they have a chance of getting cought , and when they do I want someone I can call , and have em banned whilst I jump up and down with glee. IMHO peopel who where banned should be listed on the homepage.. no more " have you seen xxx lately man he is uber.." Now it would be " LOL have you seen that xxx dude, thought he was uber but in reality he was a cheating mofu " If they ever open a position as public henchman I'm up for it.. cheaters chars should be hang or be-headed in the capital city....Ok maybe I'm getting carried away.. but I realy realy realy dont like cheaters

:clap:

So true. CSRs couldn't harm the situation, though.

Hanging the cheaters in the capital city would be so funny :D

S

Sarnat

Not to mention that there is very few people in DAoC who cheat. I'm sure there are cheaters on prydwen, for example, but very few in general, and they have very very little effect on the average RvR player.

The whole cheating issue has become more like counter-strike lately. Everyone who beats you or finds you in your oh so ubercool hiding spot must be a r4d4r h4x0r just like everyone who kills you in CS is has an aimbot and a wallhack.

Bind k getskill

C

Cadire

Good Point Sarnat.

One benefit of having CSRs is that suspicion of cheating would be reduced. As you say, the thought that someone might be cheating has the same effect as if they were.

A good CSR team would leave us in the knowledge that whatever happens ingame, it's not because of cheating. Something which would benefit us all.

D

Devenport

wouldn't pay for csr's tho. they have them in the yanks but i never heard of u.s. customers paying more.

goa is obligated to provide us ingame support imo tho if they'd put csr's online the csr's would propably goa personnel's nephews playing with theyre privates and hanging out with theyre friends on the french servers. and we'd be billed for theyre gametime aswell.

so hush now.

D

decline

Actually, US pays 13USD per month, where as Europeans pay 10Euro, which is 3USD less.

D

Devenport

well damn.

life sucks dont it. and so does the u.s.

wont pay more than it is now anyway. think it's a bit too much atm anyway.

C

Cadire

So apart from saying that the US sucks, and that GOA's nephews would hang out on the french servers.... what was your point?

You think DAoC costs too much? That may be true for some people, mainly younger ones I'd guess, but £6-£9 a month is not a lot of money... even for the most idle teenager.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Self regulation only works in an environemnt where the self regulators can control what is happening to a reasonable degree with members of the community perhaps with powers to actually follow through with some kind of punitive measures on behalf of their fellows. Other than booting from guilds or using /ignore there isn't really a whole lot anyone can do in game unless they are willing to drop their standards to the level of anyone that is causing grief in-game.

CSRs would be great, though I pity anyone that takes on that job.
RightNow works reasonably well.

The advantage of something like RightNow over CSRs though, is that answers have time to be thought through, rather than done in the heat of the moment, leading to less mistakes and errors in judgement. Obviously, CSRs score because you potentially have on-the-spot help.

And btw not everything that sucks is bad. Sometimes, it can really put a smile on your face :)

MUHAHAHAHA(TM)

J

Jupitus

Of course having 24 hour ingame support would be nice, but it is not the business model adopted by GOA so live with it.

I have said before that I personally think GOA should adopt a name and shame policy with abusers who get banned or suspended to make the most of the possible deterrent value.

The main problem in my view is that people are too lazy, or perhaps feel too much peer pressure, to use the RightNow support tool effectively. If you see someone you think is cheating then file a report. GOA have only hinted at it in some areas, but I know that the GMs for the servers do follow up on reports of cheating with thorough investigations to be sure that people get punished accordingly.

D

Devenport

Originally posted by Cadire
So apart from saying that the US sucks, and that GOA's nephews would hang out on the french servers.... what was your point?

You think DAoC costs too much? That may be true for some people, mainly younger ones I'd guess, but £6-£9 a month is not a lot of money... even for the most idle teenager.

i'm saying that i wouldn't throw more cash at goa for services they wouldn't bother to provide.

ain't saying i'm a poor sod i just like to get my money's worth. ofc if someone wants to spend theyre money by throwing it away, its not my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread