Crysis, sounds a bit "fishy"

Chronictank

FH is my second home
its a very scalable engine like the farcry one, also bear in mind you dont need as much umph to run it in dx9 mode

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm starting to think Crysis is the next biggest overhyped turd since Half Life 2 :eek7:

Honestly!

It's all over the place, everyone saying it's "stunning!" and "best thing ever!" and i've yet to see anything impressive about it.

If you don't take into consideration that now you can shoot trees!

Sure, a good shooter, but not the god of click click that it's seem to be described as.

Gamah

Banned
I'm starting to think Crysis is the next biggest overhyped turd since Half Life 2 :eek7:

Honestly!

It's all over the place, everyone saying it's "stunning!" and "best thing ever!" and i've yet to see anything impressive about it.

Sure, a good shooter, but not the god of click click that it's seem to be described as.

So you've played it then?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So you've played it then?

So have you?

You didn't quite see, or understand, what i saw saying.

I wasn't commenting too much on the game(except that it seems like basically same old), just saying that it's overhyped, which also happened with half life.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
well ofc it's going to seem like the same old, I mean how much variation can you actually have in an fps. Main variations are just gonna be characters and plotline/environment. End of the day it's still just gonna be a floating gun with you shooting shit.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I thought HL2 lived up to the hype tbh :mad:

How can you call HL2 turd?! it might not be the best game ever (thats arguable), but it was bloody brilliant in places, the atmosphere, the sounds, the variety of different levels, the AI and the general polished feeling throughout the game imo make it one of the better FPS's out at the moment.

and as for Crysis, surely the videos show that its looking pretty snazzy? (as much as videos can show anything).

I can see that there might be room for things to go wrong, but whats the point in being all "doom and gloom" at this stage when all we've got to go on are videos and screenshots?

From what I've seen and read I dont see any reason to be worried about Crysis, I do wonder if the minimum specs are a little suspect, but surely thats not a reason to think the games going to be crap?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
well ofc it's going to seem like the same old, I mean how much variation can you actually have in an fps. Main variations are just gonna be characters and plotline/environment. End of the day it's still just gonna be a floating gun with you shooting shit.

Yes, ofcourse. That's why the hyping of it seems a bit, off. Which is what i was saying. Never said "this game is from the 90s" or "this gamez haz like bad graphixez!"

It's cool looking, it might be nice, might be a bore, have to play, but like i said, it's hardly "the sh*t" people claim it to be. Note: From what i've seen.

How can you call HL2 turd?!

but whats the point in being all "doom and gloom" at this stage when all we've got to go on are videos and screenshots?

Well, about half life, it just didn't live to the overhype. It was told to be a god among gods, yet still was just a rather generic fps with some fluff in it.

Gravgun(or what the hell was it) and doom'esque atmosphere splatted on.

It just didn't click.

About being all "doom and gloom", i'm nto, as said, i'm not saying "the game is crap!", i'm saying the hyping is crap. To semi-borrow your words, "what's the point of being all "fart rainbows and puke cotton candy" at this stage when all we've got to go on are videos and screenshots?"

Bahumat

FH is my second home

This game has pretty advanced physics and AI from what i've read. Also the nanosuit seems a great idea. I suppose you could say it's similar to Deus Ex, but it's impossible to make a "new" idea like you say.

If you have a basic concept, but execute it in a unique way...and more importantly, it works, then you don't have to be original.

A perfect example is when people used the Quake 3 engine for their games, or the Half Life source engine. If you have something that works, then be like the Japanese and accessorise the fuck out of it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

Honestly!

It deserves hype, but not THIS much hype.

It's the first major release to truely use dx10, and damn the game does look pretty.
78014-pc18.jpg

108792-pc_crysis_armour.jpg

Dx9:
55customak1.jpg

That and its a follow up from Farcry so expectations are high anyhow

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It deserves hype, but not THIS much hype.

Exactly.

Yes i agree that partly the graphics are stunning.

But from the stuff iv'e seen, the enviroment(trees, bushes, water) looks absolutely stunning! It's what farcry was, but to the 10th.

But...here's the thing...then, especially as a game 3d artist, i focus on the models, the characters, the sand texture on the beach and...i'm just about to vomit. Seriously, look at them! Am i the only one who sees a "tiny" difference between quality here?

I know, moving objects vs static etc, but the overall quality can't be broken like that. A major rule in all should be, not to be taken too literally, "the crappiest looking object you see ingame, is what all should look like".

leviathane

Part of the furniture
I suppose you could say it's similar to Deus Ex, but it's impossible to make a "new" idea like you say.

If you have a basic concept, but execute it in a unique way...and more importantly, it works, then you don't have to be original.

Exactly tbh aslong as it has good game play it'll be a hit.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
To semi-borrow your words, "what's the point of being all "fart rainbows and puke cotton candy" at this stage when all we've got to go on are videos and screenshots?"

Because what we've got to go on looks good?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Because what we've got to go on looks good?

Some of it does, but if seriously people are hyping and waiting a game this much because it "looks good" and they promise the heavens...it's a recipe for many many far going cries in the future.

You said "why be doom and gloom"(which i wasn't saying), i say "why be SO uber positive"(like some people are).

Dukat

Resident Freddy
You said "why be doom and gloom"(which i wasn't saying)

um.

Honestly!

This isnt you being all 'doom and gloom' ?

Whatever really, we're getting off the beaten path here because we're doing what we always do - stating the same things to eachother over and over again.

For me, I look at this as whether its either "half empty" or "half full", you seem to be doing the old 'half empty' approach to this based on the fact that people are hyping it, as they are want to do - there doesnt seem to be any other evidence that its going to be crap that i can see.

I am looking at this as 'half full' because I think that what I've seen looks good (hence the hype), and although there is a chance that it wont live up to the hype, I dont see the point in being moany about that chance.

Yes, it could be crap. That would be a shame. However I dont have any reason to think this, therefore I wont. HL2 lived up to my expectations - I think this is because I sorta know how to read between the lines of reviews and media spin enough to know more or less what to expect from a game. If you take the media hype at face value and expect everything they say and more, then yes, there is every chance you'll be disappointed.

So, in summary, from my point of view;

1. the game looks good to me.
2. the game should be good when it is released.
3. if the game isnt good when it is released, then oh well, its not the end of the world.
4. lets just enjoy the hype and see what happens?

Case

Fledgling Freddie
I played the multiplayer beta and it was a pile of turd. Overblown 2142 clone with average gfx and very poor and annoying motion when moving. Incidently I ran it on a core2duo with a 8800gtx 768 dx10 card with 4 gig of ram and all settings set to high.

The gameplay was abysmal reminded me a bit of anarchy online without any of the good bits.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I played the multiplayer beta and it was a pile of turd. Overblown 2142 clone with average gfx

er... the gfx are a hell of alot better than BF2142 as well as most games out at the moment, and they arent even the dx10 version yet

Bahumat

FH is my second home
er... the gfx are a hell of alot better than BF2142 as well as most games out at the moment, and they arent even the dx10 version yet

Chronic you're like the Crysis Pimp Overlord and I think that's great :)

I personally think Case installed Doom 1 and got confused...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This isnt you being all 'doom and gloom' ?

1. the game looks good to me.
2. the game should be good when it is released.
3. if the game isnt good when it is released, then oh well, its not the end of the world.
4. lets just enjoy the hype and see what happens?

It's not doom and gloom towards the game.

See what i mean? I mean that the turdiness is because of the OVERhype of it. Hype is good, very good, and it's worth the hype, but not THIS much hype. If a thing is overhyped, it becomes turdier then it would become by regular hype because the letdown(which always happens at some level) is more.

I think it looks good, partly, but the overall quality isn't leveled enough. Meaning that in parts it looks awesome and some parts look really bad.

Otherwise, gameplay etc wise, it's only judged when it comes.

I'm not looking at the game as anything but a prettu looking glass now, to be filled later, but the hyping has become an overflowing cup of...

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Thing you gotta watch for with screen shots of a new game is that its being run on a top end machine and even then the frame rate will be crap.
Fact is the vast majority of us will never experience the picture quality graphics we see in these screenies.

Having said that though ...... look how far games have come in the last 10 years :)

My first machine was a ZX81..... you were lucky if the damn thing went beep every couple of mins :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Chronic you're like the Crysis Pimp Overlord and I think that's great :)

I personally think Case installed Doom 1 and got confused...

i personally am not particularly bothered, i am waiting on the likes of UT3 and Jericho rather than Crysis as i wasnt really a huge fan of farcry

But saying that the gfx are poor is plain wrong
78018-pc22.jpg

BF2142pcSCRNprint2.jpg

76861-pc09.jpg

BF2142_1.JPG

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I just wanna rub Crysis oil all over my nipples!

Case

Fledgling Freddie
I just wanna rub Crysis oil all over my nipples!

Have you actually played it? It's awful. The screen blurs when you turn, the characters feel really unsubstantial. Movement doesn`t feel "real" in the way it does in games like bf2142 and even planetside.

Unless the release is vastly better than the demo can`t see me wasting any money on it. I really don`t see the big doo doo about it whats the big deal just cos it has good gfx? (which i thought were avcerage incidently)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Have you actually played it? It's awful. The screen blurs when you turn, the characters feel really unsubstantial. Movement doesn`t feel "real" in the way it does in games like bf2142 and even planetside.

Unless the release is vastly better than the demo can`t see me wasting any money on it. I really don`t see the big doo doo about it whats the big deal just cos it has good gfx? (which i thought were avcerage incidently)

I heard there is a lighting effect (cant remember the name) where if you are in a dark area, then go into a light area your eyes take a few seconds to adjust.

Is this what you mean, or does this occur all the time?

Case

Fledgling Freddie
it occurs all the time only when turning not when moving forwards and back. It`s very annoying, wifey had a look and said it looked awful to play aswell incidently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom