Creationism

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Heard that some american stats still teach this, does anyone here actually beleive it?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Is that the one where they basically teach that god made earth, adam eve etc? Basic bible stuff, or the one where they claim earth is 2000 years old?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Plenty of people out there who do

Guy I knew at university was very religious. Tried to engage him in conversation one night down the pub science v religion. You can't win (or lose) any such debate.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Is the one where they beleive world was made in 2000BC i think and that everything we think is older was planted? by scientists to undermind beleif in God. From what i remeber anyway, feel free to correct me tho if im wrong:)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Is the one where they beleive world was made in 2000BC i think and that everything we think is older was planted? by scientists to undermind beleif in God. From what i remeber anyway, feel free to correct me tho if im wrong:)

Ah yeh, don't believe in it personally. I'm religious(sort of an "omnitist"(don't know if i've made that word up myself)), but don't think anything like dino bones are planted.

Lamp i agree, those discussions are best left alone after the point it gets into tictactoe. It's fun to discuss religions and science etc, but when someone throws in some insults or such, it becomes a case of psychological pugilism.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Im not religious but i do beleive a lot of the big religious events happened like the big flood, i just think they have natural explanations. Each to their own tho its what makes the world interesting.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Science or religion, I don't care what people believe so long as they don't start waving guns in others' faces because they don't. Unfortunately, thats often how this world works.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well the flood has some basis in fact anyway, its chronicled in the religious texts/legends of a number of totally unconnected civilisations

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is yes, though not chronologically identical and unlikely to be the same flood. There is no evidence of a global flood, there wouldn't be enough water for that anyway. Its likely to be land bridges giving way which caused the massive floods, or even tsunamis caused by earth quakes or even a meteor/comet strike.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I remember watching Dave Gormans Googlewhack and one of the guys he met was a leading creationist, Gorman realised the who thing was a misinterpretation of the third or fourth law of thermodynamics, I can't remember been a long time. Never met any in my day to day life, though met a few online and got into a few wasted heated debates with them. Call me sadistic but I enjoy the challenge, when Jahovah's come knocking I enjoy the ability the talk to them and raise questions, or even get them to question their beliefs. I am not evil about it, just enjoy the discussion. Also I am always curious to why and how they believe what they do, I just can't get into that mindset. Always been questioning about it, my junior school was a C of E and was banned from morning assembly because I asked too many questions about the bible and religion apparently.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
nope, I believe in the science explanation. If people want to believe in creationism that's fine by me but they should't ban the teaching of alternative beliefs/theories, explain all the possibilities and let folk decide for themselves that's my feeling on pretty much everything.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Haven't there been big debates in some states where people have demanded that evolution not be taught at all, but only creationism?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes. mostly because they're both American and religious nutters. lethal combination tbh.

Helme

Resident Freddy
The issue isn't really that this is taught, I think it should be actually - people should be able to see both sides of the coin and make up their own minds. My issue is that they want to teach it during SCIENCE class with the only fact reference being the bible.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
The main problem i see with it is how it is told as FACT in some places and not as just a possibility. Simply because if it is fact then it makes many historical things obsolete and causes conflict. People should be told both sides of the coin as mentioned before then be allowed to make their own mind up. I also dont like how some religions expected to be taken as real no matter how fantastical in nature and others are expected to be dismissed. Even from a young age i could never fully grasp why people could be ridiculed for saying they beleive in ghosts yet millions fully accept a man walked on water and turned stones to bread ect.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I have a cousin who is a minister and a creationist, which is so weird because he has a degree in computing and does loads of 3d modelling for Google, but then he spouts out the most simplistic explanations for his belief and tries to attach them to scientific fact by quoting the most pathetic misconceptions
banded around by the conspiracy brigade.
I can understand uneducated people failing to grasp the enormously slow process of evolution, but anyone who has an education past senior school really should know better.

He has made some cracking 3D models of English churches and cathederals though..even Noah's Ark.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well thing is, if someone faked everything before 1800s or so(that earth is 200 years old), we wouldn't know ;)

It's a fun thing to think about, even if the plausability of it is very low.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Always made me laugh when my gf and I went to a local zoo/wildlife place run by Christians called 'Noahs Ark' and in the presentation room they have a scaled down version of an Ark and Noah is herding dinosaurs onto the Ark including a T-Rex being herded alongside some sheep, I couldn't stop laughing, one of the workers came in wondering what was going on I asked him wouldn't the T-Rex eat all the other animals? but he said God would have told all the animals to be at peace, then I said what would the carnivore's eat? he replied that God would have provided the food, so no harm would befall the chosen creatures. I did go on and ask why the dinosaurs dies out and became fossils, He stated quite strongly that they went evil and had to be wiped from the Earth, by then my GF was trying to pull me away from the worker, saying that she didn't want us to be chucked out, so I said OK and moved on. The only proof that people need to see is a virus for the argument for the theory of evolution, Viruses evolve at a much faster rate than us, you can see the different mutant strands push forward and the strongest surviving into the next generation.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I think he may be right about the dinosaurs though.

When's the last time you saw one helping an old lady across the road.

Lightfighter

One of Freddy's beloved
I think he may be right about the dinosaurs though.

When's the last time you saw one helping an old lady across the road.

How could he have seen that, when they died out 65 million years ago?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Funny, was watching a creationism clip and the guy said "dinosaur is a new word, there's no mention of dinosaurs in the bible".

Made me think; There's mention of a dragon in there :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And Leviathan and Behomoth

Oh yes, later the guy sang how "behemoth means dinosaur", so kind of conflicted with the whole "no dinosaurs" thing :p

There's also mention of other gods in the bible, egyptian demi gods for instance.

But being a god, the bible god does tell you to worship him alone.

So even the bible says there are other gods, but you should worship this one cause he wrote the damn book :D

Biible religion would be a fun one, if it wasn't for the human corruption in the message.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I imagine if you could peel away all the heavy christian bias there is a lot to learn from the bible. I cant be sure but im sure in one of the very earliest works of the bible it even mentions God in the plural sense, implying that to begin with atleast there was more than one. (saw it on one of them Ancient Astronauts programs!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom