Crazy germans :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
It´s getting completely out of hand here in germany. A couple of weeks ago, someone sued the 89 year old former german chancellor Helmut Schmidt for "smoking in the public" and being a bad example for the younger people. I mean.. WTF? This guy has been smoking for his entire life and nobody seemed to care.
Lots of pubs here are now smoke-free areas and many of them probably won´t survive because people want to smoke while drinking their beer. It´s so hyprcritical. Why ban cigarettes, but not alcohol? I quit smoking seven years ago and I don´t miss anything. But when I go to a pub, I know that there will be smoke. So what? It´s my decision, my choice. I don´t mind people smoking right next to me.

True story... back in the years when I was still smoking, I went to a big outdoor even in sweden. There was like 500 people there and we made a huge bonfire one evening. So I was there, sitting next to the fire in this huge circle of people, smoking my cigarette, when some dude came up to me and asked me to extinguish my cigarette because his girlfriend was allergic to smoke. Being the nice guy I am, I said sorry and threw the ciggy into the fire. So the guy turned away and went back to his girlfriend... all.. the.. way.. back to the OTHER SIDE of the bonfire, approximately 30 meters away from me, under the clear sky, with a 10 foot bonfire between us!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
*waits*

*waits some more*

*sighs*

Ding!

*gets popcorn*

I'm rady for the ciggie debate now.

Lethul

FH is my second home
every pub/club is smokefree in sweden afaik. They are allowed to have sealed off smokerooms tho.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
True story... back in the years when I was still smoking, I went to a big outdoor even in sweden. There was like 500 people there and we made a huge bonfire one evening. So I was there, sitting next to the fire in this huge circle of people, smoking my cigarette, when some dude came up to me and asked me to extinguish my cigarette because his girlfriend was allergic to smoke. Being the nice guy I am, I said sorry and threw the ciggy into the fire. So the guy turned away and went back to his girlfriend... all.. the.. way.. back to the OTHER SIDE of the bonfire, approximately 30 meters away from me, under the clear sky, with a 10 foot bonfire between us!

Rofl, seriously? thats crazy!

I had to laugh at the extinguisher though, I thought it was some stunt pulled by an anti-smoking group when I saw the title, but then when I read it was the guys girlfriend I was like wtf! :D

My parents smoke, I hate it personally but I dont see why people go on about it, pubs are shit now, people either dont bother going anymore or they end up going outside every 5 minutes so you cant really just sit and chill.

Preferred it when it was too smoky to being smoke free and empty!

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
The funny thing is, the militant types who spout "We don't go to pubs because it's smokey" haven't came out the woodwork since the ban which is ironic.

The only thing that the smoking ban has achieved is a loss of profits for pubs on the whole, mass closures of working mens clubs and a massive loss of tax revenue which has resulted in a tax hike elsewhere (Yes, it has happened, so don't give me the 'better for the NHS' BS).

Granted i'm trying to quit now for the sole purpose of my own health since coughing up brown shit daily is horrid but the fact is that the smoking ban has shot itself in the foot.

Binge drinkers don't give a fuck either way but they're a minority anyway - the people who like a smoke and a drink stay at home now.

Has been 1 or 2 pubs close in Boro quite soon after the ban came in so this results in a lower tax revenue of alcohol too, the result in the end? Government see's a loss of tax off booze and fags and hike it on other stuff (Such as metered water under the premise that we're running out apparently LOL).

/edit: Watch Billy Connoly's standup on smoking, tis rather funny. ;)

Little Boy

One of Freddy's beloved
Lol fine maybe ask him to put it out!
But fucking Fire Extinquish it? Err lol

soze

I am a FH squatter
Passive Smoking is real and kills people.
Passive Drinking does not exist.

I suppose thats why public smoking is banned drinking is not.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Passive Smoking is real and kills people.
Passive Drinking does not exist.

Passive drinking equivalent is the violence related to it and causes more people long term injuries then passive smoking.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Passive drinking equivalent is the violence related to it and causes more people long term injuries then passive smoking.

Nope you are talking about binge drinking if you work in a bar and 200 people have a fag at the bar during the night thats 200 "passive fags"

Here was me thinking that you got arrested for that already. Do you want it made more illegal to get drunk and punch people in the face?

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah the anti-smoking lobby is certainly getting uppety now its got what it considers 'Victories'... but its not like smoking is a crime. Personally, I'd have the Landlords make the decision as to go smoke free in there businesses, with a small disclaimer outside telling people about the smoking enviroment. If people don't like it, they can go elsewhere.

I can see the point in hospitals, as many people can. Pure oxygen being pumped around the wards, gases under pressure, and having to keep serile (ish) enviroments is a pain as it is... But I still see letters of complains in the paper every week about it "Hospital unfair to smokers" despite the fact they have box loads of nicotine patches they hand out every day.

Apparently, according to one woman "Its totally unfair, there are no rules about having sex in the hospital, so why should there be one against smoking"*. If she's 18, brunette and hot, I know who i'll be spending time with when I next have to go in for treatment.

*= My all time favourite newspaper quote.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
you see them trying to ban patio heaters now (because they are unfriendly to the environment....) so even the poor sods who go to the pub and have a fag outside will be made even more uncomfortable.

why dont they just remove their testicles from their foreheads because they are obviously obscuring their vision and take a look round; people still smoke so deal with it. Fine if you dont like it there are more places where you cant smoke than where you can but theyre even trying to ban it from the streets now. They have this whole campaign where you get fined like £500 for dropping a fag end in the street...do they say anything about the messy little bastards who drop crisp packets, cans flaming hyperdermic needles?? or what about those people (and i use the term lightly) who puke up in the middle of the pavement cos theyve drunk too much, or the ones who let their dogs crap on the road and dont scoop de poop!

no they dont say anything to them, i personally am not effected by this at all as i only smoke at home but the sheer hypocriticalness (er..) of it all really really bugs the hell out of me. If your going to ban it then ban it dont piss and moan about it in that bloody irritating asthmatic liberal way they have (you know the one: faint gaspy cough then accusatory look at the smoker...they then go get in their car and pollute the whole damn environment).

Theyre even saying about banning smoking in Amsterdam now, and i think thats so sad. I really enjoyed my holiday there with no one nannying me telling me what i should or should not do and no one being all judgemental at me for having a cigarette after my lunch.

i shouldnt even be bothered about this because like i said i only smoke in my own home and i only have like 2 a day anyway but i really hate it when they leap all over one issue and totally ignore several others that are (imo) worse.

*blinks*

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Haha, I was expecting some guy to be going around with an extinguisher putting peoples cigs out with that from the story title. :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Nope you are talking about binge drinking if you work in a bar and 200 people have a fag at the bar during the night thats 200 "passive fags"

Here was me thinking that you got arrested for that already. Do you want it made more illegal to get drunk and punch people in the face?

Most bar workers smoke.
Those who don't, never minded the smoke and knew the "DANGER!" with it.
Those who do, hate the smoking law.
You don't have to binge to be an a-hole and punch/kill someone. One drink, and there's loss of judgement already. 3 tequila shots, and you might be rolling to death row.
More bar employees are killed by other reasons then passive smoke.

Those are facts.

I don't mind going out for a smoke if the greenppewpers don't like the smoke in a BAR as it's been for AGES.

Just hate that these "we don't like stuff" a-holes are winning everywhere. I mean, try finding a decent steak without someone trying to push a cr*pload of veggies on it, you can't, and the steak can't be a steak either!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
you go to pubs to drink..not breath in other peoples smoke

You go to pubs to drink...not look at other peoples act like an a** and puke over the tables.
You go to pubs to drink...not to get a pint poured over you.

It's been a pub, it's a pub, it will be a pub, everyone knew what it's like and everyone chose to go there.

There's always been places where the non-smokies could go, but it wasn't enough.

I'm just waiting for the day when the non-smokies decide it's hazardous to walk to the door when people are smoking by it.

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
well i for one dont smoke and i applaud what govt's are doing to halt smoking. its an addiction that is harmful to yourself and everyone else around you, and comparing it to alcohol isn't fair. this is a long term solution. making exceptions for people who smoked all there lives is not an excuse. a law is a law and that is final. also when you drink you are not inhaling over 3000 different chemicals. here are a few of the problems which you can associate with smoking: lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, childhood asthma, high blood pressure, male impotence, routine colds and illnesses, pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, bladder cancer, employee absenteeism, medical spending on preventable disease and skyrocketing health-insurance premiums.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
aye and when you have cancer from smoking in 20 years time dont come running looking for free cancer treatment or complaining that you wern't told about the effects :)

I won't, it's my choice, and i take all that's coming from it. so far so good, should quiet really, but, then again.

But i doubt my smoking has killed anyone, or even will, or even has given anyone the sniffles, so anyone who's using that as an excuse towards ME, can f*ck right off.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
aye and when you have cancer from smoking in 20 years time dont come running looking for free cancer treatment or complaining that you wern't told about the effects :)

It wont be free though as smokers pay for the ENTIRE NHS!!!

Mey

Part of the furniture
you go to pubs to drink..not breath in other peoples smoke

If you have been to any proper pubs, and i'm talking about long established ones where you have the same people most nights and little to no background noise (aka some crappy teen song) smoking is/was a big part about it. I use to go to pubs to sit down have a smoke and a pint whilst talking to the old guys who used to tell stories whilst they'd be sucking on their big old pipes.

The pub was rarely visited by "outsiders" and if they did come they'd sit in a whole different area (the pubs kinda seperated by different rooms - or rather, caves, it's very cool actually) now, you hardly get the atomsphere anymore and the place seems like a pointless waste of time. Shame really, tis a big part of some of these guys lives with most if not all of there social interaction with the outside world happening there.

But hey aslong as it keeps the no-lifer's-nothing-better to do doers happy who cares.

Mey

Part of the furniture

Can we ban sunbeds too.. what with them causing skin-cancer!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Even if many non-smokers won't admit it, this has nothing to do with health. This has nothing to do with "protecting workers".

This all comes down to one thing:

"I dun want my clothes smelling like that!"

And that's the only thing, and that was WELL known fact about going to the bar. If you didn't like it, you went elsewhere.

People minded smoking, sure, but they lived with it. But now tha the new law came, all anti-smokers have become these f*cking crusaders of good and pure. Like you ever thought, when you went to the bar, "Oh noes, i'm getting cancers!" Bloody hypocritical bastards.

The smokers? Well, hell, we smoke come rain, sleet, snow or kittens. We don't mind going out, we don't mind anything really, it's a minuscule inconvinience, especially when compared to the fact that most non-smokers hate when they ahve to stay alone at a table because the smokers leave *grin*

So why the rant? Well, i don't mind the smoking law, i don't mind moving to accommodate your fresh air, but don't you DARE come and preach about this and that and how much it saves people with the smoking ban or some other health issue like that, when the only thing you're happy about is not smelling like smoke. And that's ok for a "happy time".

Also, as a final little note, sure, now you don't smell like smoke, but now you smell all the piss, puke, spilled beers, sweat and all other LOVELY odors in the bars that you just couldn't live without.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Can't wait till summer when all the no-smokers want to sit outside, if anyone moans at me for smoking in the smoking area (that most pubs have these days) i'll tell them where they can stick dem words!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can't wait till summer when all the no-smokers want to sit outside, if anyone moans at me for smoking in the smoking area (that most pubs have these days) i'll tell them where they can stick dem words!

Oh yeah, sweeeeeet!

Didn't think of that.

Will smiths summertime song has a whole new meaning.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Most bar workers smoke.
Those who don't, never minded the smoke and knew the "DANGER!" with it.
Those who do, hate the smoking law.
You don't have to binge to be an a-hole and punch/kill someone. One drink, and there's loss of judgement already. 3 tequila shots, and you might be rolling to death row.
More bar employees are killed by other reasons then passive smoke.

Those are facts.

I don't mind going out for a smoke if the greenppewpers don't like the smoke in a BAR as it's been for AGES.

Just hate that these "we don't like stuff" a-holes are winning everywhere. I mean, try finding a decent steak without someone trying to push a cr*pload of veggies on it, you can't, and the steak can't be a steak either!

I do not care either way about the smoking ban in clubs i prefer not having to smoke someone elses second hand smoke because they are so adicted they can't go without but hey. Smoking is banned in football stadiums now which is great.

Just offering a theory as to why fags are banned booze is not.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I do not care either way about the smoking ban in clubs i prefer not having to smoke someone elses second hand smoke because they are so adicted they can't go without but hey. Smoking is banned in football stadiums now which is great.

Just offering a theory as to why fags are banned booze is not.

Not a matter of going without, more a matter of enjoying more with.

Much like alcohol, weed, whatnot.

Hell, i think most of the guys here against smoking are avid weed users, and as such, criminals. I think breaking the law is worse then possibly maybe by 0.00001% add to someone toxin inhale. But that's all personal opinion really.

People do a sh*tload of worse things then smoke, but if the pansies can't stand a bit of it, we can move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom