crashing annoyance

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
just got a 7600gs (agp) vid card and i 'think' iv installed everything software wise thats needed to be up and running on daoc

ok, so far, installed newest nvidia drivers relevent to the card, also installed dx9.0c again just incase anything was overwritten

the cards installed fine and dandy, but daoc isnt behaving with it, iv set gfx options to lowest possible (so performance, high framerate etc)

daoc keeps crashing on either high traffic areas or loadup screens

so basically, has anyone got this card and got it working fine on daoc?

my rig is an amd 3000xp chip, asus mobo, 2gb 3200 ram (ddr) a 600watt psu and then said gf7600gs 512mb agp

its god damn annoying, the framerate is an awesome improvement over my old effort of a card (gf5900xt) but this crashing is getting real old real fast, its also struggling to loadup at the start on occasion

any ideas? do i need to uninstall old drivers, could it be clashing? how do i check for such things?

tyvm in advance guys :)

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
Update on what seems to be wrong (even though im still fairly perplexed :<)

I got the new gfx card, new psu (600w 18a on v12 rail), and a new stick of ram (same brand as old same speed etc, and that seems to be fine, ran memtest and strained it in another couple of programs)

I'm not getting BSOD about 30% of the time on daoc crashes, with the line IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

from what I can gather online this seems to be a fairly common bsod, and can relate to loads of things

The rig also has crashed just running wmp so I do believe it is a problem with the card, whether its driver related or the card itself I'm not too sure, also don't know how I can be 100% its not driver related (Again from what I can gather on the net, 12% or so of these cards come back faulty)

Anyways, the pc loads up more than fine, basic 3d gfx tests run ok, it crashes on 3d mark though (hangs not bsod) and daoc gets error messages or a bsod after about 5 mins of playing, and the rig is not overheating on either the psu/cpu/gpu

again ty if anyone has any suggestions, really don't know what to try now :(

aika

Can't get enough of FH
if you an ASUS motherboard, remove the "enhanced display drivers".

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
ooo ooo i do, where can i find said drivers? already turned off the fast write gfx option thing, im guessing this is diff though?

DeathsBows

Fledgling Freddie
can be you bought a knackered card,

i did once..

pc booted np even play smallish games but had probs with daoc used to blue screen a lot, card was defective sent it back got another and had np.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Could be that the soundcard is sharing an irq with something else. Generally this aint a problem in modern PC's but can still throw wobblers on some boards - funnily enough I had the same problem on an old asus board.

Unfortunately focing the soundcard to use a unique irq is something of a black art - i'm gonna be lazy and suggest google if you think that might be an issue having looked through device manager at what is on what irq.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Oh and if you are worried about driver mess, then there is a real cheap utility called drivercleaner that will sort you out - under a tenner iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom