Crash to desktop

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Shouldn't these crashes to desktop have been fixed or am i imagening it?
Every evening i still have a crash to desktop (aside from the crash i had from my gfx driver which i upgraded a few days ago).

Anyone else still having this or got more info about it?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
could try a "full file check" thing?

cept 1.73->1.76 I think don't have the full file check option - need to play around with shortcuts or something. (Mythic saw the light and put it back in a later patch though)

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
I get the odd crash - and it is my gfx card - but that's cos it's a) Old b) Seriously o/c :p c) Fan too small

Not had a game related crash in ages - and new gfx card due on Wednesday - woot.

Also check all your background progs - Norton 2005 is a pain - until you limit it a bit - caused me some grief till I set it up properly.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Has Brack not upgraded your Babbage Calculator yet?

Seriously, what graphx card you have and which drivers? If Nvidia, a few people have been having problems with the newer drivers. Try downloading the very latest (Aug I believe) and if that does not work go back to some older ones or the original drivers supplied with the card.

If that all fails you might have some RAM latency issues, quite common on Athlon XP MOBO's. Had this using Kingston Standard DDR 400 SIMMs. Ended up getting a matched pair of Geil SIMMs. You could also have Power Issues which on Nvidia Cards starts to scale down the operating frequency. Sometimes to such an extent that it crashes out. Had this problem recently when I added two more SATA HDD's. Having to use 2 PSU's on my main now (550W + 300W) :(

Just back off hols Aad's and will be in game later if you need any help :fluffle: .

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Has Brack not upgraded your Babbage Calculator yet?

Seriously, what graphx card you have and which drivers? If Nvidia, a few people have been having problems with the newer drivers. Try downloading the very latest (Aug I believe) and if that does not work go back to some older ones or the original drivers supplied with the card.

If that all fails you might have some RAM latency issues, quite common on Athlon XP MOBO's. Had this using Kingston Standard DDR 400 SIMMs. Ended up getting a matched pair of Geil SIMMs. You could also have Power Issues which on Nvidia Cards starts to scale down the operating frequency. Sometimes to such an extent that it crashes out. Had this problem recently when I added two more SATA HDD's. Having to use 2 PSU's on my main now (550W + 300W) :(

Just back off hols Aad's and will be in game later if you need any help :fluffle: .

That's what happens when all of you abandon me! ;) Good to see you back!

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500. Running already on the latest driver from 11/08.
Haven't tried going back to the shop driver yet but there's no way the older dl drivers will work as i crashed with those.

RAM = 7xx something can't remember the exact amount.
So how do you see that about the power loss?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Aadia said:
That's what happens when all of you abandon me! ;) Good to see you back!

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500. Running already on the latest driver from 11/08.
Haven't tried going back to the shop driver yet but there's no way the older dl drivers will work as i crashed with those.

RAM = 7xx something can't remember the exact amount.
So how do you see that about the power loss?

With the RAM it is diificult to tell. The ones I had that caused problems were Kingston Standard DDR 400 SIMMs. These caused crashes to desktop and one or twice - pagefile faults (blue screen of death) which is what made me suspect the RAM. Testing revealed nothing though :(

The issue was fixed when I got a matched pair of Fast DDR400 SIMM's by Geil. Crucial and Kingston also make the faster matched pairs, just not available in Dubai right now.

If power was a problem and you are using latest Geforce drivers, you would see a dialogue box when the you are dumped to desktop. It should state that the card performance was stepped down due to lack of power required.

What CPU/Mobo are installed?

Internet is still fooked only business accounts have been rerouted with good latency. Tried to play last night in DF and had a 5 sec delay. Latency was 4700 mS LoL. Guess I'll be taking a PC into work over the weekend if still not sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom