Crash at Shoreham Airshow

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
It was lucky...ish that he hit the road, if he'd hit the crowd the toll would have very, very much higher

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Seriously...every time they say never again and still they crash...planes showing off for crowds...never going to end well.
This one has to be it....game over, seven people killed in the road next to it!

Embattle

FH is my second home
It was lucky...ish that he hit the road, if he'd hit the crowd the toll would have very, very much higher

Irc there are many regulations in Europe regarding air displays so the plane is never suppose to head towards a crowd, minimum height, etc. Personally from the footage I've seen I think the pilot was too low to execute the move safely.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I saw the ambulances going to it as i left the ferry today

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The pilot is still alive apparently.

Edmond

Ejected I would assume, he's fighting for his life in hospital. They think they will find more bodies too

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Reporting one of the cars was a wedding Limo...please don't tell me the couple were in it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If he had the presence of mind to eject you would hope he could've aimed the plane at something that wasn't a very busy road...

leggy

Probably Scottish
If he had the presence of mind to eject you would hope he could've aimed the plane at something that wasn't a very busy road...
I'm pretty sure ejection is more instinct and training than presence of mind. Self preservation trumps reason and logic every time.

Edmond

The way the reports read are that he didn't eject, he crashed with the plane, but somehow survived

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The way the reports read are that he didn't eject, he crashed with the plane, but somehow survived

Doesn't look like it in that picture on the front page of most of the papers; looks like the canopy is open.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Only pics I have seen is of an open canopy. Not a cleared canopy. When ejecting the canopy is cleared

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not seen any pics of a half or semi open canopy i think he semi landed the plane on the ashfelt and hit cars.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'd imagine pilots learn to eject like drivers swerve to avoid things.

Issue I have is that he was half way through a loop, I mean look at the angle he ejected from, he would have gone flying with 0 chance of parachuting

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
He obviously hadn't tried to eject yet in this picture...

stream_img.jpg

Embattle

FH is my second home
Depending on the ejection seat model ejecting at such a low level would of been fairly risky.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I think it was just very busy so it could have been a lot worse depending on how he crash landed

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Is that left hand lane grid locked, or is it because they stopped because they saw the plane?

Shit :(

Apparently there were roadworks and the traffic lights were on red. If they'd been on green, the carnage would have been far higher.

Depending on the ejection seat model ejecting at such a low level would of been fairly risky.

They're called "zero-zero" ejection seats for a reason; you can eject from zero altitude, zero ground speed.

Poag

m00?
Apparently there were roadworks and the traffic lights were on red. If they'd been on green, the carnage would have been far higher.
They're called "zero-zero" ejection seats for a reason; you can eject from zero altitude, zero ground speed.

Thats what they are nowdays, and since the 80s? but this is a 50's aircraft....not sure if they upgrade these Warbirds with current mil ejectors.

Embattle

FH is my second home

No doubt but conditions would surely still apply.

Either way more information will come out in due time, I still feel it was a risky move from what I've seen of the footage.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He didn't eject, the cockpit clearly shows that.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If you have an ex military plane, chances are the ejector seats won't be functional because nobody will be able to maintain it, it was probably decommissioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom