Crane Flies

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
The daddy long leg is the spider, ye know, small body, long legs...
Anyway, they ain't poisonous, and they can bite, but you hardly feel it. It hurts less than a black ant. So that venomous stuff, that's a myth.

Watch mythbusters etc, they tested it :)

i always called the crane flies daddy long legs, and the spiders, just spiders.

Some Spider Site said:
Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i kill all flying things that come into my house except bees and butterflies. Moths and daddy long legs just fly around dive bombing me, pointless creatures. Spiders and such i just get a glass and a bit of paper and catch them then put them outside.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
my mate has a praying mantis, that loves eating them

And yes the daddy long legs is the spider but we all call crane flies daddy long legs, so really we have changed its name :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Nullifidian said:
Wow you're cool.
why even post, seriously....

On topic:
I tend to catch them and throw them out the window :p, they arent the quickest things in the world to react o_O

wasps however get squashed, 2nd most useless insect imo! (1st would be mosquitos)

Nullifidian

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
why even post, seriously....

On topic:
I tend to catch them and throw them out the window :p, they arent the quickest things in the world to react o_O

wasps however get squashed, 2nd most useless insect imo! (1st would be mosquitos)

Sorry, would you rather me boast about taking another creatures life like the rest of the morons in this thread?

pikeh said:
apparently they live for three days, and in that time they dont even eat anything. worthless creatures and fooking disgusting.

Overdriven said:
I still squish spiders/flys/bugs that fly around.

I HATE them. I physically feel ill around them... They die. ( Though, I get sad when I see a dead slug =( )

Raven said:
i kill all flying things that come into my house except bees and butterflies. Moths and daddy long legs just fly around dive bombing me, pointless creatures.

You lot make me :puke:. How would you like it if aliens came to earth, and started squishing or pulling the arms and legs off of you "worthless creatures"?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
well then they will top of the food chain so they can.

Being number 1 must have privileges

:)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Nullifidian said:
Sorry, would you rather me boast about taking another creatures life like the rest of the morons in this thread?

You lot make me :puke:. How would you like it if aliens came to earth, and started squishing or pulling the arms and legs off of you "worthless creatures"?

didnt say i killed any of them. Cant even bear to touch the buggers, so i just push them outside with a bit of paper. I just dont see much point to them, thats all. the live for three days, dont even eat, mate once, and then die.
The fact is, if you move a house spider outside, its going to die, even though it seems like the sensible thing to do.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Nullifidian said:

Noone made you post useless comments like your first post,
if you wanted to be productive you would post your opinion on the matter rather than bring the moronic "rvr-section" ethos here

It may be sadistc but its the same principle in nature,
this coupled with the fact in nature if a animal stays onto another animals territory they are usually killed. So it is perfectly in line with the survival of the fittest.
This coupled with the fact that if you dont kill it, it is very likely it will find its way back, in the case of wasps they come back with friends

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
problem is we find ourselves too intelligent so think that we need to spare things

Do you think a lion will spare you if you walk into it place, hell no, unless it has just eaten then it probably cba to kill you

Nullifidian

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Noone made you post useless comments like your first post,
if you wanted to be productive you would post your opinion on the matter rather than bring the moronic "rvr-section" ethos here

It may be sadistc but its the same principle in nature,
this coupled with the fact in nature if a animal stays onto another animals territory they are usually killed. So it is perfectly in line with the survival of the fittest.
This coupled with the fact that if you dont kill it, it is very likely it will find its way back, in the case of wasps they come back with friends

The only person with a moronic ethos here is you!

I think I made my opinion perfectly clear in my last post. Things like territory and survival of the fittest have nothing to do with it. You wouldnt kill next doors cat if it accidently strayed onto your lawn.

And no, wasps do not come back with friends if you don't kill them. :twak:

Nullifidian

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
problem is we find ourselves too intelligent so think that we need to spare things

Do you think a lion will spare you if you walk into it place, hell no, unless it has just eaten then it probably cba to kill you

Killing for food, and killing for pleasure are two totally different things.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually ants and wasps, the ones who venture into your lairs, are scouts and if they do survive back, they will inform others.

Any creature, be it even human, who ventures into my territory gets one warning, then it's good night sweet prince.

I ask the ants and spiders to leave, but if they just sit there, it's squishy time.

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Dont really mind daddy long legs, normally shoo them out of a window (or just into someone elses room) or just leave them if im too lazy :p not so hot on spiders, they get the big heavy book treatment :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Put this sign up outside your territory. Should do the trick:

no_wasps2.gif

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Nullifidian said:
I think I made my opinion perfectly clear in my last post. Things like territory and survival of the fittest have nothing to do with it. You wouldnt kill next doors cat if it accidently strayed onto your lawn.

And no, wasps do not come back with friends if you don't kill them. :twak:
if next doors cat came onto your land and you feel threatened/feel it is a threat to your family you are well within your rights to kill it

Wasps do go back to their nest, once again you post uninformed drivvel

Nullifidian said:
The only person with a moronic ethos here is you!
the fact you post without actually knowing what you are talking about pretty much backs up my argument, no doubt following this post as you have nothing constructive left to say you will probably throw some insults (possibly truley believing that i actually care) or clasify me in whatever box you have created to feed whatever "ego" you place on it

Thanks for that

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
ok ok who wants the red handbag, and who wants the green?

Nullifidian

Fledgling Freddie
uninformed drivvel lol. "in the case of wasps they come back with friends". You'll be telling me that they go for your neck next.

Now wether I know, or dont know more than you is totally irrellivant. And using that against me to diminish my point is just lol. Killing another living creature for fun or simply because you can IS wrong, no matter how you cut it. And if you or the rest of Freddyshouse cant see that, I pitty you.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I don't tend to kill any of them, just move them out (except for housespiders, as long as their webs aren't in an 'obvious' location). Mind you, the cats normally get them before I get the chance. Not seen many insects in the house since we got cats.

Darzil

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
have you ever seen a cat kill a mouse? thats not for food, thats for fun

they toy with them till they are bored then kill them, same with spiders.

So where is the difference?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Life's tough for a crane fly.

~Imagine you're the poor sonofabitch crane fly thats flying round trying to get laid on your third (and last) day. You spent the entire 2nd day down at the pond bar with the boys getting hammered and you wake up, realise you've got less than 24 hours to live, and you GOT to get laid ! Poor bastard. What do ya do ?

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Life's tough for a crane fly.

~Imagine you're the poor sonofabitch crane fly thats flying round trying to get laid on your third (and last) day. You spent the entire 2nd day down at the pond bar with the boys getting hammered and you wake up, realise you've got less than 24 hours to live, and you GOT to get laid ! Poor bastard. What do ya do ?

find a hooker xD

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
have you ever seen a cat kill a mouse? thats not for food, thats for fun

they toy with them till they are bored then kill them, same with spiders.

So where is the difference?

No, I've not seen our cats kill mice. When I see them catching them, I rescue the mouse. I fairly often find mouse skulls (the only bit they don't eat), in the morning, when they've finished their dry food overnight.

Darzil

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Nullifidian said:
uninformed drivvel lol. "in the case of wasps they come back with friends". You'll be telling me that they go for your neck next.

Now wether I know, or dont know more than you is totally irrellivant. And using that against me to diminish my point is just lol. Killing another living creature for fun or simply because you can IS wrong, no matter how you cut it. And if you or the rest of Freddyshouse cant see that, I pitty you.

Whether you know or not is very relevant as i made a point based on fact, then you seem to justify yourself using something you made up. As they do in the rvr section, and you intitially joined this discussion with a 1 sentence, unprovoked attack on someone, just like in the rvr section. Which in my opinion is moronic, and more to the point what my statement about the ethos of the rvr section is.

i didnt say it was the right thing to do did i? (apart from wasps, for which i gave my justification)
i simply said its hardly the end of the world, and this is how things happen in nature anyway

pip

Banned
Lamp said:
I had about 13 of these fuckers flying around my room last night.

---- ROFL

When I was at school, we used to throw them at the girls or pull their wings off etc. Now turning the light off stops em fluttering about. The females have pointy bits and we used to say they were venomous lol (the crane flies not the girls lolcakes)

Anyone else get em ? Anyone else still pull their wings off ?

250px-CraneFly.jpg

AKA Daddy Long Legs
September is time for them lol had my kid other nite catching them and throwing em out:)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I like to stealth, then *BAM* Just landed PA on the bugger...

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I let them live so long as they don't touch me or land in my drink, then they get evicted!!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i have discovered i am a good shot with a G18 airsoft pistol can shoot them off the wall.

Thats not for fun, its target practice completely different. What happens if there is a war and i need to go be John Rambo?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
i have discovered i am a good shot with a G18 airsoft pistol can shoot them off the wall.

Thats not for fun, its target practice completely different. What happens if there is a war and i need to go be John Rambo?

There is a war, go sign up soldier!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom