Crackley sound

T

throdgrain

Been playing Vanilla (or rasberry) BF1942 a bit lately, and the sound seems very crackley.
I have quality on high, 44khz and 48 channels. i have a Audigy soundcard by the way. Can I improve the sound of the game ?
Also, sometimes the servers seem laggy, if I change from adsl settings to isdn settings , will this improve things ? I know when I had isdn I used the modem settings, and it was fine, now i have adsl maybe one back may help ?
These are really quite nit picky things, but I want to get it as perfect as possible :)
Thanks for any help :D

D

Deadmanwalking

Im assuming your using hardware sound? As my sound just wont work in software :(

T

throdgrain

Do you mean hardware acceleration m8 ?
If so, no its not checked , just the 48 channels thing. is that right I wonder ? Or should I go to hware, or 64 channels or back to 32 ?
Its quite annoying really, as me jolly old Radeon video card means that every time I exit the game, to adjust something or whatever, when i return to thegame I get complete picture distortion, and have to restart :/

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by throdgrain
Do you mean hardware acceleration m8 ?
If so, no its not checked , just the 48 channels thing. is that right I wonder ? Or should I go to hware, or 64 channels or back to 32 ?
Its quite annoying really, as me jolly old Radeon video card means that every time I exit the game, to adjust something or whatever, when i return to thegame I get complete picture distortion, and have to restart :/

I have mine on hardware acceleration and all is fine. And if i use software i get no sound whatsoever :(

It's worth a try.

B

bids

I'd certaily give 32 channels a try, as this solved all sorts of problems with my setup (Creative Platinum / Ti4200).

T

throdgrain

I had it on 32, got the crackling. Turned it to 48, still got it , went back to 32, still done it.
Does anyone know what the channel thing means ?

A

Athan

The number of channels is the number of sounds it can play simultaneously. One sound per channel.

I used to not have crackly sound at all. Then I upgraded from win98 to XP Pro, now I get it at times of heavy load. Google searches just show up a load of hits of people experiencing this with XP and Soundblaster cards, and a lot of "check your hardware" suggestions. The latter is obviously bollocks as the exact same hardware (all that's changed is the hard disk, to a faster one), had no such problem with win98.

If I don't use h/w sound accel (set in dxdiag) then the sounds clip in and out terribly, although I didn't try adjusting ingame bf1942 setting for that. I've alwats used the s/w setting ingame anyway as it allows me to actually have 32 channels, not 31 (with 31 I get no engine sound in planes :/).

My only guess is something about win XP uses some smaller buffer or something. On the whole win XP seems a lot nippier (probably better scheduler and VM), so I don't think it's just it sucking more resources (yes, I went and turned off a lot of un-needed services, like the indexing thing).

-Ath

T

throdgrain

Thanks for that post Athan.
I may try 64 channels then , and after that hardware and see which is the best :)

Users who are viewing this thread