CPU 99 degrees in bios...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Basically, today I seemed to have got some kind of virus. My anti-virus and windows' firewall both went hayware and started reporting corruptions all over the place: win32 files and so on. I'm at a loss why as I was tuning up my CV at the time and was on pretty regular sites.

Anyway, only way I could get out was to flick the power switch on the tower. I try to start it up and I can't. The computer never loads the Windows loading screen but sits with a black screen and eventually cuts out.

I suspected this was the virus manually shutting down my computer as soon as Windows was attempted to be booted but it started happening as soon as I switched it on.

Anywho, I checked the BIOS and my cpu was reporting 99 degrees. I shut it off straight away at that point and took out all my fans, cleaned them, removed excess dust and then put everyting back in.

But now I have two problems: my flash leds stay on permanently, when they are suppose to come on for 1-2 seconds then flash off and my graphics card is reporting a 'temperature error' LED. I do not have onboard graphics and no spare parts so in a bit of a awkward place.

All fans work & run when I switch it on & there is definitely not an issue with the gfx fan. Are there any tests I could carry on to see if the motherboard is fucked/processor are fried without replacing?

Also, could this suspected virus have been a result of the overheating? It seems bloudy strange that I'd get a virus and discover my cpu is overheating like a bitch at the same time.

Bugz

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Basically, today I seemed to have got some kind of virus. My anti-virus and windows' firewall both went hayware and started reporting corruptions all over the place: win32 files and so on. I'm at a loss why as I was tuning up my CV at the time and was on pretty regular sites.

Anyway, only way I could get out was to flick the power switch on the tower. I try to start it up and I can't. The computer never loads the Windows loading screen but sits with a black screen and eventually cuts out.

I suspected this was the virus manually shutting down my computer as soon as Windows was attempted to be booted but it started happening as soon as I switched it on.

Anywho, I checked the BIOS and my cpu was reporting 99 degrees. I shut it off straight away at that point and took out all my fans, cleaned them, removed excess dust and then put everyting back in.

But now I have two problems: my flash leds stay on permanently, when they are suppose to come on for 1-2 seconds then flash off and my graphics card is reporting a 'temperature error' LED. I do not have onboard graphics and no spare parts so in a bit of a awkward place.

All fans work & run when I switch it on & there is definitely not an issue with the gfx fan. Are there any tests I could carry on to see if the motherboard is fucked/processor are fried without replacing?

Also, could this suspected virus have been a result of the overheating? It seems bloudy strange that I'd get a virus and discover my cpu is overheating like a bitch at the same time.

Bugz

When do you suspect you got the virus? Can you boot into safemode and do a system restore?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Right I've actually got it to boot up by re-cleaning and re-attaching eveything from scratch.

But it is still cutting out and won't go further than the Windows screen.

Just checked BIOS...cpu temp 100 -> 120 in 20 seconds. Really?! I have a sneaky suspicion the virus has messed with BIOS and its autocutting after 120 as a safety precaution.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
When you say you re-attached everything, did you take off the CPU Heatsink? If Yes, did you clean it properly and re-apply some Thermal Paste?

I can't be certain, but if the virus is the cause, it would either disable the cpu fan, or overclock the cpu to cause it to generate so much heat?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Hardly any virus will mess up your BIOS. Mainly because there are so many different ones (every new MB needs a new one), so it doesnt make sense to write a virus for it. Also it's nearly impossible to infect it. That said, there have bin some that did.

But yeah, 100C is far too much for the CPU. Clean the blades, make sure it has airflow and get it down to atleast 50 before you procede. Else you might and probably will damage the CPU.

To answer your question, if your cpu really gets that hot, it will cut itself. However the temperature sensor could also be damaged, so it gives a false reading.

You say you can boot up untill the windows screen and then it freezes. Then it might be the gfx card that's overheating. Either way you will need another piece of hardware to figure it out.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Could it be a faulty temp sensor on the motherboard - ie motherboard borked and on its way out?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Okey I'm an idiot - it wasn't a fault temp sensor or the virus. Part of my headsink was detacting because the stupid clip was bent awkwardly (damn you Intel). Managed to get it in and temp has regulated about 60-70 degrees. I have some new thermal paste on order and I will probably buy a new heatskin too, as full power it is only reaching 1600.

So my computer boots up but after selecting boot options and choosing any of them, it simply hits a blank screen and goes no further.

I'm about to burn windows diagonostics and repair service to a dvd and try booting up with that. I have already tried replacing the boot files via the recovery console but no luck.

Just going through different methods at the moment - anyone have any suggestions?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
reinstall windows .. the high cpu might have been causing corrupt instructions and read writes before it got so hot to cut itself off

if the repair dont work try reinstall

otherwise you may have a hdd failure

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Reinstalled master boot and I HAVE A WINDOWS SCREEN.

Now I'm going to quickly back everything up as I have a feeling my harddrive is on its way out.

Thank you for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom