FH is my second home
lol cowboys & aliens, excuse the typo

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
lol would be a very short movie

Clint Eastwood v Predator

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yeah this one has got me really excited, a really original concept with lots of scope for some very entertaining action sequences...lets hope Spielberg doesn't kill it with sentimentality.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's Spielberg? It'll be shit.

He's fucking awful. No I'm not trolling. He has done a couple of good films, and a horrendous amount of utter shite. I know a lot of people rate him, and he's competent at what he does but the films he makes are turgid tripe.

As a produce he's fantastic. As a director he's a bag of ****.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ahem!

Close Encounters
Jaws
Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List
ET
Duel
Raiders of the Lost Ark

yes, all shite films, all unpopular. Fuck off, lol

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Ahem!

Close Encounters
Jaws
Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List
ET
Duel
Raiders of the Lost Ark

sorry but ET...*shudder* kind of rated up there with AI on the schmultz scale, he is brilliant but he really does tend to over do the sentimental moosh...he did two of my all time fave movies (Jaws & Jurassic Park) both of which were only as great as they were because he managed to avoid the sugar dripping sickliness

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It's Spielberg? It'll be shit.

He's fucking awful. No I'm not trolling. He has done a couple of good films, and a horrendous amount of utter shite. I know a lot of people rate him, and he's competent at what he does but the films he makes are turgid tripe.

As a produce he's fantastic. As a director he's a bag of ****.
Yes you are trolling.
I agree with Lamp, apart from ET which I personally don't rate. Spielberg has had some turkeys but he has made up for them with some all-time awesome films as well.

You're spot on when you say his productions tend to be good. There are far too many to choose from but I pick Band of Brothers, Taken and I'm looking forward to Falling Skies later this year as well as Cowboys and Aliens.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i couldn't give two craps about the director, rarely do, this looks like a nice comic transfer, but time will tell.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Spielberg has had some turkeys but he has made up for them with some all-time awesome films as well.

This.

He's probably made more good films than anyone on FH.

Though Intergalactic Ez Zombie Strippers From The 10th Dimension sounds promising. I've got qualms about Dukat as director but I'm sure he'll pull them off. Er, I mean it off.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Ahem!

Close Encounters
Jaws
Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List
ET
Duel
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Popular does not equal good.

Close Encounters is terrible.
Jaws I don't personally like, but I can see why people do.
SVP is incredibly shallow. Amazing set pieces but terrible everything else. Move to BoB instead, same aesthetic but with story and character development.
Schindlers List is the only film of his I think is great.
ET is sentimental guff, an ok kids film but nothing more.
Duel is AWFUL. Truly fucking awful in every way.
Radiers - fun family action film, good entertainment, hardly the pinnacle of film though.

I notice the latest of those is SVP, before that Schindlers in 93. That was 17 years ago. That's a long time to make a lot of films that aren't good. That to me suggest he's pretty poop at directing.

This.

He's probably made more good films than anyone on FH.

Though Intergalactic Ez Zombie Strippers From The 10th Dimension sounds promising. I've got qualms about Dukat as director but I'm sure he'll pull them off. Er, I mean it off.

Yes, because only directors can judge directors or comment on them. What a stupid thing to say. Do film critics and those that have studied film have no valid opinions?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
But was, for example, ET crap because spieldberg did it, or wuold it be crap with say, err...michael bay?

Well, explosion propelled bikes would ofcourse be cool and an ET that turns into a mega-robot...but anyway, you get the point.

You can't judge a film by director alone, only thing you can judge is the film.

Much like you can't judge an actor of a poor performance, if the writing is just not meant for them. That's partly writing, partly casting, partly acting.

I think too much value is given/expected to directors.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Films are judged as films. Some of my favourite directors have made pretty crap films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom