Cowardice of the worst kind

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
I think that the 'allowed character transfer' announced yesterday was a disgrace from EA/Mythic/GOA (delete as applicable).

Taking my server (Karak Hirn) as an example, what they have done is effectively announce its closure without properly preparing for it. With what has been said none of the big guilds dares stay because, if they do, the next announcement may well be that it is closing and their guild, and all its setup and earned levels have gone. With the big guilds (including mine - CLA) going the server is dead. Why didn't they bite the bullet and just say this in the first place if they need to save money?

What happens to people who have destro chars already on the servers that the guilds go to? One set of characters or other, paid for and worked on, will have to be deleted. Since the guilds alliances are going to work together to choose where to go this is definitely going to happen to someone, and probably more than a few.

Why can't they do a DAOC and allow order and destro on the same server but with a 30 minute to one hour time gap between switching realms?

Why do the guilds have to be 'rebuilt' on the new server? I know it will be possible to retain a guilds reknown and level, but surely it is not a massive task to transfer the guild en-masse as it stands once the GM decides to go, saving the need for everyone to leave the guild, transfer, and rejoin.

This has been very badly handled in the scramble to save money and just shows where the paying gamers come in the list of priorities - nowhere. If it has to be done then at least let it be done properly rather than trying to hide behind an 'opportunity' to transfer when it really is a must now that the announcement is made.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I'm not going to move EU servers again - I've already lost several character names that I was very attached to due to being forced to move to Hirn from Orrud, and I'm simply not prepared to have the toons that I pay to enjoy playing buggered about again by GOA.

My auto renewal has now been cancelled because of this latest debacle, and if I do move servers it's going to be to a US one. Although I've been in this game since the day the closed Beta went live in mid 2007, and even though that means I lose all the CE extras I have here, if this is how things are going to be in the EU then it's best we cut our losses and move to the US now. Vote with your wallet.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
but they care about our community they put it on their website ;)

I have never really had a problem with GOA, but this whole thing stinks of incompetence. Drop this on us when they know people have resubscribed just for the patch, so they can maximise the number of people transferrnig across.

THey are dsetroying the community that has been built up by the players on Hirn, along with the additional like minded guilds that have already moved once before.

Being forced to share a server with 13 year old inbreds is going to be a nightmare.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
It won't really affect me personally since my Hirn chars are all just alts i play when K8P is boring / in city siege, nut while it's frustrating, lets keep the criticism constructive. Bashing them rarely accomplishes much except venting anger.

I think most people's objection seems to be how it's handled rather than what is being done per se - is that fair to say?

Calaen

Yes it has been handled terribly.

They are destroying the community that they are saying is great and they know it. There aint no chance all of the guilds/alliances/players from each realm is going to be able to get on the same server.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
It's possible it was going to happen eventually it just seems way too soon to me (and many others).

Meh.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno why they dont cluster servers instead of cluster fucking players.

Calaen

The whole situation is summed up very well by Corwynn
(he's the biggest whiner ever but we wubs him)

corwynn-maelstrom.com Blog Archive The Karak-Hirn Drama Continues

The whole server has been merged bollocks had nothing to do with an error. It was well thought out plan to get people to start jumping ship, how they expected people to be able to communicate where and when they have went is beyond me. They are destroying the community.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
Bashing them rarely accomplishes much except venting anger.

I think most people's objection seems to be how it's handled rather than what is being done per se - is that fair to say?

Two things. First NOTHING accomplishes much, things have been handled as badly as this for years in DAOC, so at least bashing serves some purpose.

Second. Yes, it is the way things are handled. We had a debate in CLA while in DAOC, whether to go for US servers or give GOA a chance again and go for EU. I argued for the EU and the way this has been done seems to be proving me wrong. Moving the whole guild to USA may be a very bad option now, but it may be an option we have to look at since we are once again being treated as not wanted here.

If it has to happen why can't GOA (if it is purely them);
1. Consult
2. Inform properly, not tell us its an optional benefit
3. Look at the problems it may cause and agree ways around them
4. Prepare a proper transfer mechanism for guilds
5. Give us some decent warning and a date when we have to decide by.

I don't know if there is a single thought in the company management about how it will affect people and guilds, exept maybe the thought "Bugger them, they are only customers and don;t matter"

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, sucks monkey nuts.

Karak Hirn is an awesome server with a great community and is one of the few that has a balanced population. Very few of us want to leave and join the leet servers but it looks like thats the way things are heading. Many of the big guilds have said they are moving which will fuck the population balance and screw over what has been, until now, a great place to play.

I have played Azgal, Norn & 8 peaks and, no offence to players there, but they are no where near as good as Hirn. It's personal experience/opinion ofc, but I'd rather quit tbh than move to any of those servers.

Same as Tetley, we had a similar conversation about giving GOA another go after the DAoC shambles or go US...seems we might again live to regret that decision.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Same as Tetley, we had a similar conversation about giving GOA another go after the DAoC shambles or go US...seems we might again live to regret that decision.

Same here, thoroughly regret staying with EU servers and only did so because there were sufficient servers to avoid falling back into the factions that ruined DaoC for me.

But after paying out for collectors edition for myself and my husband I don't feel the game is worth throwing more money at to move to the US, might even be forced back to AoC!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Any GM's want to put their thoughts & opinions into this thread.

If Corwynn's words are the truth, you have a fuckin lot of explaining to do.

Calaen

Oh it's not a fakey or anything. They have had a response on WHA regarding this message saying it was a mistake, Sure it was. Just like announcing on patch day when the server was at Med/Med pop that we were getting killed off.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sam.f.day/Pics?feat=directlink#5309642977599827730

Good morning guys.

This message is obviously wrong, we are offering transfers off the server and are not merging it. We're currently in the process of removing/changing it. This will require a client patch which you will see come by within the next hour or so.

Our sincere apologies for the confusion.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
lots of stuff

Fair enough - very few people really like spin. However, you can't really expect any company to give it to you straight anymore be it Mythic themselves or GoA - it's just the way things are done now.

The best providers i ever came across for telling it straight were the HGL providers, and even they indluged in a fair bit of spin.

Hope it works out for you guys.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Being forced to share a server with 13 year old inbreds is going to be a nightmare.

In both this and the other related thread

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/warhammer308/235566-cluster-fail-see-latest-cluster-news.html

we are seeing some pointless comments about players on other servers. You may not want to move but lets avoid causing other issues with such unpleasantness.

I hope one of the GM's does come on and add some information. Hopefully they are away sharing the depth of feeling with whoever gets to make these decisions and can then add something of value. Come on GOA lets see a bit of customer care.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH

no, i think GOA just killed a perfectly healthy server with a good population and an adequate community, with no good reason.

i just don`t get it why GOA made this error of judgement (imho)

i already moved server once, it broke our guild, but the server i came from was really underpopulated and not always fun.

now i am on a good and fun server with good population. fortress sieges are soo masive that each time, only a limited amount of the people who want to join can join due to server restrictions... is that a dead server ?!?!

it will be a dead server by GOA`s own doing, not by natural causes.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
no, i think GOA just killed a perfectly healthy server with a good population and an adequate community, with no good reason.

i just don`t get it why GOA made this error of judgement (imho)

i already moved server once, it broke our guild, but the server i came from was really underpopulated and not always fun.

now i am on a good and fun server with good population. fortress sieges are soo masive that each time, only a limited amount of the people who want to join can join due to server restrictions... is that a dead server ?!?!

it will be a dead server by GOA`s own doing, not by natural causes.

Couldn't have said it better.
I've played a bit on Norn yesterday, to see what it's like.
The server was infested with players who kept repeating things like "World of Warcraft is teh best game evah" and "omg, these graphics are teh suck; Wow was way prettier!"
I feel that we're going from server with a great community to a playground for retarded children :(

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
fortress sieges are soo masive that each time, only a limited amount of the people who want to join can join due to server restrictions... is that a dead server ?!?!

Even the low pop servers can cap out a fort during a siege so that means somewhere between fuck and all sorry.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Now all we need is requiel saying "I'm not leaving a sinking ship i'm merely moving on to better things"

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Couldn't have said it better.
I've played a bit on Norn yesterday, to see what it's like.
The server was infested with players who kept repeating things like "World of Warcraft is teh best game evah" and "omg, these graphics are teh suck; Wow was way prettier!"
I feel that we're going from server with a great community to a playground for retarded children :(

In all honesty, i find Norn a lot better than Hirn for lag...god only knows what ZX81 they were running Hirn on and the higher population is certainly noticable in all tiers. In short, after all my personal pontificating, i quite like the "new" server.

However...

There has already been a rather nasty spate of "them" and "us" syndrome on Norn, but it's naieve to think this is due to one group of players more-so than another.

It'll take time im sure to integrate the players, but most Hirn alliances have transferred to Norn lock-stock, so for now we have "Norn" alliances and "Hirn" alliances...it's all fucked-up and GOA are keeping out of the bickering and shit-throwing.

The bottom line, and THE fundimental problem, is that both servers thought they had a good enough population and now both are suffering. Hirn players have been made virtual refugees and Norn now has a massive influx of unwanted players.

Gratz GOA, 2 servers unique communities wrecked in one moment of inspired brilliance...lets hope the players can fix your fuck-ups.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
Aye the atmosphere among Order players on Norn was very much a 'them and us' one last night but I hope this will settle down quickly. We from Hirn are there now and there is nothing either group can do about it so we better start working together.

The most noticable thing to me last night was the sheer number of 'swear' emotes in Praag. In the end I turned emotes off just so I had a chance to see normal chat - which was childish to say the least.

We have to organise if we want a chance against destro, and we cannot do that while fighting each other.

Speaking of destro, does anyone know if they are suffering the same in-fighting on Norn?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The most noticable thing to me last night was the sheer number of 'swear' emotes in Praag. In the end I turned emotes off just so I had a chance to see normal chat - which was childish to say the least.

I think its part of the Bitter Rivals event, but I'd have to be log into game to confirm :D

Regarding settling in... There's going to be a period of jostling gand hostility. There are loudmouths transferring in that are going to upset people just for the fun of it, just as they did back on Hirn. Lets face it, you already know where the main sources of trouble are going to be. Give it a little time and it will calm down.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aye the atmosphere among Order players on Norn was very much a 'them and us' one last night but I hope this will settle down quickly. We from Hirn are there now and there is nothing either group can do about it so we better start working together.

We have to organise if we want a chance against destro, and we cannot do that while fighting each other.

Speaking of destro, does anyone know if they are suffering the same in-fighting on Norn?

The catalyst for the Order barney was the IC capture.

Certain former Hirn guilds claimed they had taken the IC on their first day on Norn, which was utter crap, it was a realm effort, and it (understandably) riled a few of the locals. Thanks to these IRC/WHA fuckwits, people wound up at each others throats last night.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
There's a lot of hate toward GOA here stretching back for DAOC, some people just arn't willing to let that go, fair enough fine I didn't play DAOC, I did on the other hand play on Hirn and now on Norn.
Hirn was dead, it just didn't know it yet, beyond prime time t4 there was nothing happening on Hirn and the issue was growing by the week. Order was less aware of this since they had a short wave of new players from the 20% exp drive, the over all trend for Hirn was down, down,down we faced a slow drawn out death.

Now look at the past few days on Norn action in every tier, large scale rvr in more than just the one t4 zone prime time extended by at lest 2 hours, are you seriously saying this was a bad move?

People here have a bad experience with GOA in DAOC, I get it, it's been posted once every day since the game went live. Get over it and grow up, you're all adults here so lets start seeing things for what they are and work with what's happening now and not what happen 5 years ago.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
People here have a bad experience with GOA in DAOC, I get it, it's been posted once every day since the game went live. Get over it and grow up, you're all adults here so lets start seeing things for what they are and work with what's happening now and not what happen 5 years ago.

While i'm not taking a side per se with regard to this whole messy argument, the problem is (generally) that those of us that were in DAoC from the beginning have seen many of the same mistakes repeated in WAR. That is why people go off on a DAoC rant, not because they are still annoyed by a cock up 5+ years ago.

I think GoA have done well overall with WAR, but this has been marred by a number of particuarly shoddy things (beta issues, forums, website, autopayments) that have gone on. Nobody ever remembers a good consumer experience (as it's what they expect), but a bad one sticks in your memory for a long time.

Calaen

Oh of course, ther is alot of bollocks being thrown around. I am just staying out of it all it's pathetic. I will go on doing exactly what I was doing on Hirn, it is my server now as well. I am not buying into the whole we do things this way so thats the way it has to be done. compromises will be made over the next couple of weeks which is only natural.

Both realms will work far better without all of the crap!!!

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
I am not suffering from this but it clearly has caused some upset.

Some peeps seem to think the server was struggling and others not. What would be nice is for someone from GOA to pop on and simply say "we are sorry if this has caused you upset and difficulties. We really felt we had no choice because ..."

So far Nic has popped onto the other thread based around this subject but not actually made a comment similar to the above. dunno if it would help with those who are so annoyed but at least it shows they are taking notice and have some sympathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom