Couple of Questions

B

bids

Couple of questions:

1) Mate is upgrading motherboard and CPU/mem, and has Windows XP running (currently Via chipset). Doesn't want to re-install if absolutely necessary, so can he simply de-install all 'system' devices from Hardware Manager, upgrade, and then all will be sweetness and light ? Anyone done this (successfully) under XP ? Using a corporate product key (legit) so activation shouldn't be an issue ?

2) Just come back from me hols, and suddenly Outlook 2002 won't let me send to a Hotmail account - can't be arsed to search the Web at the mo - anyone any ideas why this is happening.

3) Bearing in mind I've been away for three weeks, what this old. bit on the front of my tag - I know I should wade through all the news/announcements, etc, and will do over next few days, but where is the page to get rid of this bit (although the old. is quite applicable in my case !).

Cheers in advance.

Cheers in advance.

X

xane

My personal experience is that my main PC I am using right now originally ran Windows 3.1 back in c.1990 and then got upgraded to Windows 95B and then again to Windows 98SE, inbetween it has had no less than seven motherboard/CPU upgrades and countless other hardware, I have yet to re-install the OS, even moving from an Intel 440BX to a AMD/VIA KX133 motherboard.

No sodding around with the registry is required, simply bung in the new hardware and reboot.

As far as I am concerned, Windows, if set up right, is incredibly good at coping with hardware upgrades, especially if you take the time and trouble to arrange for all your new drivers to be available.

No experience with XP tho, but based on the past record I would not hesitate to upgrade without re-installing. I'd do a quick houseclean of the entire system beforehand.

E

Embattle

1) Its always wise to do a complete reinstall since it'll offer the best stability.

2) I believe MS have stopped free pop3 access to Hotmail.

3) Read the Announcement.

B

bids

Cheers lads.

1) Think we'll try the hardware upgrade without re-install first, and see how it goes. If there are subsequent instability issues, then a re-install is on the cards.

2) Bugger :(

3) Reading announcement now - cheers SG :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom