"Couch to 5k"

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Hey all

I've just started training to get myself ready for the army. Having been in college for the past five years doing "sit-on-my-arse" computing courses I've not had the need to be especially fit, and while I've always enjoyed the odd sprint here and there I've never really been a marathon runner.

Anyways, I want to be properly fit for the army, but I'm just not cut out to start doing 2-3 mile jogs at a time. So I've started following this new training schedule called "couch to 5k".

Seems fairly good for someone like me, starts out doing cycles of one minute of jogging then one minute of walking over a period of twenty minutes, gradually you build it up untill you're doing thirty minutes of jogging with no walking to break it up. Seems quite good, although I'm almost certainly going to be doing more than the advised three workouts a week - I hate the idea of never getting anywhere (but I am carefull of overdoing things).

I've dug up my old mp3 player and just went out for a jog - stayed out over an hour doing the one minute jog one minute walk thing. I struggled a little at the start but by the end of it I felt strangely good, looking forward to trying it again tomorow - assuming I'm not aching too much to move :)

Has anyone else done one of these "get fit" training programmes? Did it work for you? Any info/tips much appreciated :)

Cant wait to be doing three miles at a time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom