News Costner trys to scam BP...

Lollie

Loyal Freddie
wheres the scam? article says 32 are supposed to be sold so that a canny lot of water/oil it can shift

rynnor

Rockhound
wheres the scam? article says 32 are supposed to be sold so that a canny lot of water/oil it can shift

<sigh> you know how big an olympic swimming pool is?

Now picture an enormous stretch of sea thats also very deep - to put it in context its like trying to empty a lake using a thimble (and thats being generous).

This idea is junk but perhaps Costner is stupid enough to think the pitiful amount of water these would clear is significant.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why do you hate dolphins rynnor?! If you love oil so much why don't you go live in it!

rynnor

Rockhound
Why do you hate dolphins rynnor?! If you love oil so much why don't you go live in it!

I love dolphins (wild ones that swim by your boat not the ones in tanks) but his idea is so poor even my kids could come up with better ways to tackle the spill :p

I just thought it was amusing that the guy who wrote that article clearly had no conception of how tiny the amount of water these things would process - I figure BP can do basic maths and thus rejected it.

Reminds me of that machine that some Yanks built to scrub CO2 from the atmosphere - lol.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Oil tends to float on water.
All these machines would need to do is filter the surface layer of water, not the lower depths. Rig up a bunch together and you have the makings of a vacuum cleaner for the surface waters. Take them to the worst agglomerations of oil and make like Spaceballs...
suck... Suck... SUCK... :)

On it's own it won't have a big effect, but combined with a number of other methods it helps.

It's all down to limiting the leak, cleaning up what's possible, and leaving the rest for nature to break down. It'll take a couple of decades if the Exxon Valdez was anything to go by.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, it's basically better then nothing.

If there's 32 of them, they clean out 10+ olympic swimming pools / day, that's quite a lot of cleaned water.

rynnor

Rockhound
All these machines would need to do is filter the surface layer of water, not the lower depths.

As the oil ages it changes and sinks thus the tarballs that are washing up on the beaches - the other problem is waves and eventually the weather will also shift it to lower levels and make these machines unusable.

Next its spread out over an enormous area - I think I read a figure that said there were hundreds of thousands of small slicks out there now.

I think all that can realistically be done is to try and protect the sensitive wetlands and rescue the wildlife that gets slicked. Eventually the oil will change to a more benign form that causes less harm as it sinks to the bottom.

rynnor

Rockhound
So what is your solution exactly?

Cap the well - thats it really - the rest is largely busy work - theres not much that can really be done v such a large slick - sad but true.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So your solution is "Stop the spew, like they always do, and clean up, like they always do" :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's nowt else they can do - if you have a magic wand to wave please do so.

Sometimes it's about doing X to stop Y, sometimes there's no one solution and it's a joint effort.

If i had a magic wand, i wouldn't waste it on this.

rynnor

Rockhound
Sometimes it's about doing X to stop Y, sometimes there's no one solution and it's a joint effort.

If i had a magic wand, i wouldn't waste it on this.

Dispersants are good or anything that causes the oil to sink generally but dispersants still suffer from the issue of the massive area covered.

On the North Sea coast if you poke around in the mud you can find the residue of spills from decades before - its pretty harmless now though and the sealife even in the mud doesnt seem to be affected by it so there is hope.

Chilly

Balls of steel
lol meights look at my pro oil-o-matic-cleaner-tron

sieve_jpg.jpg

It can only process a few litres an hour, BUT ITS BETTER THAN NOTHING SO YOU BETTER PAY OR BE BRANDED A **** FOR EVER!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Why can't we just get a big frying pan, scoop out the oil and fry some badass fish and chips?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Why can't we just get a big frying pan, scoop out the oil and fry some badass fish and chips?
Why not? You could scoop up the fish at the same time as the oil. :)

There's the small matter of it tasting like a cross between Beelzebub's farts and road tar.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Which would be a vast improvement on my local chippy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All these machines would need to do is filter the surface layer of water, not the lower depths..

Apparently the dispersants have been keeping a huge amount of oil under water, and apparently there's a column of oil-water mixture 10 miles wide from the seabed to the surface.

Add to that the fact that the slick currently stretches across an area that fits from London to Bornmouth to Lincoln...

But yep. BP should still buy 'em - just 3200 of them instead :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
human hair soaks up oil. everyone should shave their heads and dump it in the oceans!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
But yep. BP should still buy 'em - just 3200 of them instead :)

If thats what it takes to clean it up and it works then yes they should. gogo drive down the shares even more so its worth my while to buy a load!

SWtarget

Fledgling Freddie
A friend of mine works a Florida company called Osprey Biotechnics. Since this thing began they've been trying to get the attention of either the federal government or BP, and neither has bothered to return their calls / e-mails / shouts / smoke signals.

As the name implies, they grow various bacterias and use other microbial products and biproducts for various industrial uses. One of their microorganisms actually eats oil. You would think someone would be as interested in what these folks can provide as they are in some Hollywood actor's idea.

Local company's bacteria devours oil - Gulf Oil Spill Coverage - BradentonHerald.com

Osprey Biotechnics gets call from Crist - Gulf Oil Spill Coverage - BradentonHerald.com

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Where's the "buying shares" thread, I think BP shares would be worth adding to one's portfolio at their nice 50% discounted price.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A friend of mine works a Florida company called Osprey Biotechnics. Since this thing began they've been trying to get the attention of either the federal government or BP, and neither has bothered to return their calls / e-mails / shouts / smoke signals.

As the name implies, they grow various bacterias and use other microbial products and biproducts for various industrial uses. One of their microorganisms actually eats oil. You would think someone would be as interested in what these folks can provide as they are in some Hollywood actor's idea.

Local company's bacteria devours oil - Gulf Oil Spill Coverage - BradentonHerald.com

Osprey Biotechnics gets call from Crist - Gulf Oil Spill Coverage - BradentonHerald.com

I read a science fiction story once about someone releasing an oil-eating bacteria; didn't end well.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm not even giving that a /badum tish :eek:

As for the bioengineering. I'd be surprised if they used microbes in the wild on this. The unknowns could be huge.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Black days ahead.

Sounds like the enforcement of safety rules was pretty crude.

BP are in deep deep trouble.

Thanks i'm here all night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom