Question Cosmology / Cosmogony

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Has anyone read any really good books (or found a really good resource) on these?

I've had an interest for ages and have a pretty solid idea about the origins of the universe and occurances until the present day in my head but I've not got a resource that goes into real deep detail.

I'm after recommendations for stonking detailed texts as well as some easier bedtime reads. Especially if you've studied something like physics at Uni or have astronomy as a hobby. Wider reading suggestions are also welcome!

Must. Better. Self. Need. Help! :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Some recommendations from my bookshelf:

Carl Sagan's Cosmos is perfect for general explanations and poetic descriptions of the life of the universe etc. It is quite wide ranging but there are a couple of chapters that cover what you seem to be after.

Cosmos: Amazon.co.uk: Carl Sagan: Books

For deeper understanding try Brian Cox' new book to get your head thoroughly around relativity.
If you're still hungry after that then Brian Greene has a few books on string theory aimed (optimistically) at the layman. These will bring you up to date on the most recent theories for the beginning of the universe. Pretty tough going naturally.

Why Does E=mc2?: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Cox, Jeff Forshaw: Books

As for astronomy as a hobby, just get yourself a planisphere and maybe Patrick Moore's annually updated book, and go out at night!

Philip's Planisphere: Northern 51.5 Degrees - British Isles, Northern Europe Northern USA and Canada Philip's Astronomy: Amazon.co.uk: Books

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ive just ordered that brian cox book read a preview and it really sparked my interest

am like you scouse i love anything physics based even thinkin of attempting A level physics in the future

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta. I bought Cosmos (the TV series) last year, best 8 quid I ever spent. Easily the best science program ever made because he dares to speculate on a wide variety of subjects (and somehow makes Brian Cox look like an intellectual muppet by comparison).

At the moment I have a specific interest in a detailed timeline of events from the big bang to right now. I'm sure Carl & Cox will have this on a superficial level but I'd love to dig a little deeper.

I'd do the A-Level physics thing too. In fact I'd love to go back and study physics at university if it wasn't for the economic barrier - that and the fact that, whilst I'm not shit at it, I find maths incredibly dull.

Keep 'em coming :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta Zen.

I've got Brief History of Time. Stonking good read. I've also got The Grand Design which I'm reading through now.

Bang is a possible purchase, but because of my Brian May fanboi-ism more than anything else :)

More MORE MORE!!111!!1! Nogoddamnit! ;)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
Ta Zen.

I've got Brief History of Time. Stonking good read. I've also got The Grand Design which I'm reading through now.

Bang is a possible purchase, but because of my Brian May fanboi-ism more than anything else :)

More MORE MORE!!111!!1! Nogoddamnit! ;)

saw this on amazon but wasnt sure if it would be beyond me or not has anyone actually read it? would i need a degree to understand it lol

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nah. His books are written with the average interested reader in mind.

If you have an interest in popular science then you're already way ahead of most anyway - so nae worries old bean. Get stuck in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom