Corrupt Registry Key

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Help :\

Having a very bad computer day today.

Sorted out my memory issues in that other post, but i've now got a seperate issue. My device manager is blank and it turns out it's because of two corrupt registry keys. When I try to view/delete them I get "error while opening key". I've tried changing permissions as some sites suggest but it won't even show them, "unable to display security". I've tried using regdellnull.exe and that is unable to delete them too.

I *really* want to avoid formatting/reinstalling but it looks like that's the only way. Someone help, please, I'm at my wits end :\

JingleBells

FH is my second home
tried running the XP repair tool?
start -> run -> "sfc /scannow"

it will ask you for your windows disk

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yup - that didn't change things either :\

I went to the windows recovery console from the xp cd and overwrote the system file in system32\config with the one in windows\repair - but that put my system back to sp1 and needed me to install all the drivers again. I got started on that but things started behaving very strangely. It did however get rid of those bloody corrupt registry keys.

I just need some software that can open up my system reg file and edit it to get rid of those fucked up values :\

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Which keys (and what part of the registry are they in)?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
hklm\currentcontrolset\enum\root\

Two subkeys both called Legacy_

They're also in the same location under ControlSet001 and 003.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Had a look around online. If they look like this:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\legacy_*008f*0010%af*00e5*0003*0017*001a*00a4*00b6*00c0*00a8
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\legacy_*00bdo.#*017e*201a*201e*0081*00f5*00d8*00c2*00b4*001e*00e2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\legacy___ns_service_3

then they're a chunk of CoolWebSearch (curse its name). Maybe CWShredder would have more luck?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, it's not spyware - my system is clean in that respect. They're just in as "Legacy_" and that's it. It's actually just a plain ole corruption in the registry that happened when I was installing some new memory and things went a bit loopy. I'm trying all sorts of reg repair software to see if there's anything that can sort it, but so far no joy.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
It occurs to me you may not have enough permission for the Enum\Root tree (by default the SYSTEM account only has full control, everyone else is read-only).

As administrator, run regedit.exe. Traverse to the HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Enum\Root key. Right-click on it in the tree-view and select "Permissions..." and give Everyone "Full Control" to that tree. Then you should be able to delete the keys - remembering to remove that additional access afterwards.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah a number of sites suggested permissions but unfortunately that hasn't resolved the issue - the thing is the key is in kind of a exists/doesn't exist state which confuses regedit. I tried downloading a number of other registry editor programs, none of which solved anything.

I've given up, I was searching for hours last night and hours this morning and I can't find any solution so I think it's rebuild time. The I've forgotten to backup something I'm sure, but I can't think what paranoia is setting in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom