Corrupt daoc files

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
My daoc dir's havent changed much for a LONG time. Recently I bought a new HD for my main comp...fresh winxp install etc etc. I copied the daoc folder from other comp as Ive done many times before. But after a few days windows started popping up saying chkdsk has discovered xxxx daoc file was corrupt and it wont start daoc.

Atm Im trying to do a fresh install of daoc but windows has already said the patch.bin is corrupt?!

The new HD is a sata300 on a pci controller card. No problems aside from this.

Does anyone know what this is?

Any help appreciated.

/Dracus

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Do you have other S-ATAII/300 connections on your motherboard? If so, connect it to one of those because I think it's the controllercard rather than the harddrive itself. Might be a problem with the NCQ functions orso.

A way to test the drive for write errors is to get a huge file (~4GB), check it with md5sum (copy this file to %WINDIR%, which usually is C:\Windows\)
Then to make it easier get the "Open Command Window Here" WinXP Powertoy

Now, make two folders next to eachother somewhere easy to find on the drive in question... name 'em something like check1 and check2.
Copy the big file to the check1 directory and test it's md5 hashcode by right-clicking on the check1 folder and click "Open Command window here"
A big black box will appear and there you'll have to type:
Code:
md5sum %bigfilefilename% >> md5check.txt
where %bigfilename% ofcourse is the real filename of the big file. You can close this black box now.
now, copy the big file and md5check.txt from the check1 folder to the check2 folder. Visually compare the two md5check.txt files to see if they're still thesame. Then rightclick the check2 folder and click "Open Command Window Here" where you'll have to type:
Code:
md5sum --check md5check.txt
should it give an OK then the file is exactly thesame as the original. The bigger the file, the better the check on drive inconsistencies...

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Thx a lot Ingaf, I'll try that..I havent seen the problem since I corrected a large disc problem. C:\$mft error or summit.

Only 1 drive on the comp and thats on the PCI controller. Mobo dun support sata2/300.

Will let you know how it turns out ;)

/Dracus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom