Politics Coronavirus

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have not been anywhere or seen anyone other than my wife and mum (we share a front garden) one trip to the supermarket and a couple of days in the office for nearly a month now. I'm a miserable anti-social sort and it's even bothering me. I can't imagine what it's like for youngsters who are used to interacting with people, especially those at uni who have turned up just to be virtually imprisoned. For many of them it will be the first time they have been away from friends and family, just to be holed up in halls in a city they don't know.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Right what is the point of a vaccine?

Boris had Covid, recovered and has at least some form of immunity yet now he's been in contact with someone who has tested positive with Covid has to go into quarantine.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because at this time it is unclear whether there even is an immunity and if so, how long that is. There are reports of people catching it twice.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Because at this time it is unclear whether there even is an immunity and if so, how long that is. There are reports of people catching it twice.
Hang on, so if catching it and recovering does not give you immunity how the fuck did your immune system beat it?

The vaccine does not actually stop you catching it though does it? It merely trains your immune system to understand how to beat it? So if my immune system understands how to kill Covid and I come into contact with someone positive why the fuck do I have to go back into quarantine?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hang on, so if catching it and recovering does not give you immunity how the fuck did your immune system beat it?

The vaccine does not actually stop you catching it though does it? It merely trains your immune system to understand how to beat it? So if my immune system understands how to kill Covid and I come into contact with someone positive why the fuck do I have to go back into quarantine?
They've said all along that people can catch it twice @Deebs.

If you catch it a second time you *may well* fight it off better, with less threat to your life, but still be contageous.

The vaccine *may* cut the chances of infecting other people in half (or thereabouts) - which is a significant bonus - especially in asymptomatic people who don't know they've got it.

But where you do know, it's safest to isolate to halt any chance of passing it on.

You may be fine post-vaccination - but you're potentially still a spreader.

So the point is - it'll help a lot. But scientists have been trying to get the message out for a long time that it's not a perfect magic bullet.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They've said all along that people can catch it twice @Deebs.

If you catch it a second time you *may well* fight it off better, with less threat to your life, but still be contageous.

The vaccine *may* cut the chances of infecting other people in half (or thereabouts) - which is a significant bonus - especially in asymptomatic people who don't know they've got it.

But where you do know, it's safest to isolate to halt any chance of passing it on.

You may be fine post-vaccination - but you're potentially still a spreader.

So the point is - it'll help a lot. But scientists have been trying to get the message out for a long time that it's not a perfect magic bullet.
I get that but until everyone has been vaccinated you will still need to self-isolate.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I get that but until everyone has been vaccinated you will still need to self-isolate.
Yep. Pretty much what the scientists have been saying all along.

And social distance, not see your friends properly because they won't be allowed to stay in your house etc. etc.

"Next winter" is the timeline given by the guy who heads up the vaccine. I've personally been saying next September since about July. Feels about right.

So yeah - people are going to hit fuck it in the late spring. If we get a really good christmas in our systems to recharge our motivation and remind ourselves why we're doing this then I think we've probably got one more lockdown in our system. After that I think large swathes of the population will say "I'm done" and just get on with life.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yep. Pretty much what the scientists have been saying all along.

And social distance, not see your friends properly because they won't be allowed to stay in your house etc. etc.

"Next winter" is the timeline given by the guy who heads up the vaccine. I've personally been saying next September since about July. Feels about right.

So yeah - people are going to hit fuck it in the late spring. If we get a really good christmas in our systems to recharge our motivation and remind ourselves why we're doing this then I think we've probably got one more lockdown in our system. After that I think large swathes of the population will say "I'm done" and just get on with life.
Problem is that people believe once they are vaccinated they can then go back to normal immediately.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Problem is that people believe once they are vaccinated they can then go back to normal immediately.
You'd hope that what the vaccination means will be explained clearly by tgeir GP and that the government will get the messaging right.

Oh. Wait :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Well I think once it's rolled out and "tested" in the real world we will see how effective it is at saving lives. If it does reduce the infection and death rates to 90% then I think we will return to normal.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Well I think once it's rolled out and "tested" in the real world we will see how effective it is at saving lives. If it does reduce the infection and death rates to 90% then I think we will return to normal.

It should be fairly effective as long as does what it's supposed to - reduce the severity of symptoms and decrease the time that you are contagious.

The girlfriend has a friend whose flatmate tested positive, but showed no symptoms. Friend got tested, negative, her sister who was visiting got tested, also negative. A week later, they get tested again... both positive. Zero symptoms. If the time you are contaigious drops from 8+ days to 3-5 days, then that in and of itself will be huge. The roommate was tested because his workplace just decided to test everyone prior to going into office, if they hadn't done that, he would never have known, and the 3 of them would have been spreading it wherever they went.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It can reduce the death rate - but they're talking about a potential infection rate reduction of 50%.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Looks like Moderna's vaccine is better than Pfizer's, and doesn't have onerous storage requirements. Good news for once.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Looks like Moderna's vaccine is better than Pfizer's, and doesn't have onerous storage requirements. Good news for once.
Think they've tested it on less people so far, no?

It's all good - but we're not part of the european consortium that's in for it. also it's ten times the cost, right?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Think they've tested it on less people so far, no?

It's all good - but we're not part of the european consortium that's in for it. also it's ten times the cost, right?
The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are two of the most expensive (£38-45 per 2 shot course and £30 per 2 shot course respectively), the AstraZeneca/Oxford one is supposed to be about £3 per dose.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Surely they're gonna have to test how the different vaccines 'cooperate'?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Surely they're gonna have to test how the different vaccines 'cooperate'?
It's not like drug interference where you've a chemical in your body that could precipitate out into your bloodstream, or react, if you put another drug (or grapefruit juice!) into your body.

They both work by stimulating an immune response - they're not reactive chemicals but rather denatured virus or inactive but recognisable mRNA "foreign bodies" (or somesuch).

They could, theoretically, interfere with immune response if given simultaneously - but that's not likely to happen (unless deliberate). But you don't need to worry about chemical interference with vaccines.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mr Cummings will be kicking himself for not getting his or his mates hooks into that.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'd forgotten it was a virus that killed everyone in The Stand until I heard the bit about Captain Trips whilst listening to Among The Living. Luckily Stephen King warned us that it wouldn't be the same back in March so no need to start looking out for The Walking Dude.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
An interesting study done in Sweden about who catches CV19 and also who dies based on nationality taken in June - it will be interesting if they update it now considering the increases in testing.

1605632807587.png

1605632912540.png

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Kalsarikännit - A little too much of this I suspect.... The feeling when you are going to get drunk home alone in your underwear – with no intention of going out.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom