Core Warrior Values

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Good on you Dukat, hippies suck at life.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Anyone thinking about joining any of the Armed forces i say fucking go for it.. it was the best time of my life and the friends you meet are for life sure you get the ups and downs like any job but every day you had a great laugh with the lads.

Unless you have decent qualifications theres fucking all going in the UK accept boring arse IT/admin/retail and the arse fuck factory work which everyone dreads.

I still remember my first day in training once we get to our rooms it was ''RIGHT GET YA SHIT OFF AND GET YOUR PT GEAR ON ITS BEASTING TIME!'' he wasn't kidding either 2 hours of running around doing every exercise you can think of.. at the time i felt like crying but after it wasn't too bad :p after your first 6 weeks training when you get back its different the staff have more respect for you for sticking through the shit they put you through.. but if you fucked up you paid for it.. damn makes me wanna go back in time to that.

rynnor

Rockhound
Dukat said:
For example: If I get a direct order to fire on a child that I see as innocent, I will not obey the order.

Your not likely to be directly ordered to kill civilians per se but what you could be ordered to do is 'take out that group of buildings' which could contain civilians and children but you'll likely never know it - by going there you are accepting the risk that you'll end up killing the civilians you are in theory there to protect - its not a black n white war - there wont be clear battlefields free of civilians.

If you go there go with your eyes open.

Personally I've always considered the armed forces to be a waste of talent for people with intelligence but the RAF's something of an exception - sign up for the minimum term though and good luck to you - with luck you wont have to serve in Iraq.

rynnor

Rockhound
Escape said:
There are no soldiers in Iraq, only mercenaries. They deserve anything that comes to them.

I dont agree with having our Armed forces in Iraq but you still cant class them as mercenaries or legitimate targets - the guys are out there to do the job they've been ordered to do - for the overwhelming part they are doing a great job in terrible circumstances - focus your anger at the politicians and lets bring em home.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
rynnor said:
Erm - but your in media Tom?

I think, on the technical side (ie me), you'll find a disturbing lack of left-wingers and druggies.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
rynnor said:
Your not likely to be directly ordered to kill civilians per se but what you could be ordered to do is 'take out that group of buildings' which could contain civilians and children but you'll likely never know it - by going there you are accepting the risk that you'll end up killing the civilians you are in theory there to protect - its not a black n white war - there wont be clear battlefields free of civilians.

I was trying to make a point when I wrote the line you quoted, meaning that I will not go against my principles.

Actually I almost wrote out the exact same words; You're right, and I do kinda get the fact that the chances are the scenario is more likely to be me being tasked to bomb a target, I fly over it, the WSO drops the bomb, we turn and head home and only later do I find out my target turned out to be a nursery or something like that.

The problem is, there isnt alot that I - meaning me personally - can do about that. All I can do is say that i'm not going to carry out what I interpret as an illegal order.

I'll do my job to the best of my ability and hopefully others will do thier jobs and mistakes like the one in the scenario described above wont happen. At the end of the day there isnt alot more I can do or say tbh.

rynnor

Rockhound
Dukat said:
I'll do my job to the best of my ability and hopefully others will do thier jobs and mistakes like the one in the scenario described above wont happen. At the end of the day there isnt alot more I can do or say tbh.

Fair enough - good luck to you whatever you choose to do however if you want to become a commercial pilot there are other ways.

A mate of mine now fly's for KLM - he got his private license as an air cadet then did a degree to have something to fall back on if he failed to make it as a pilot. After his degree he took out large career development loans and went to the Southern US to get his commercial pilots license.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Often the same. The Paras didnt have a fantastic time in Northern Ireland I seem to recall ... ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I'd be worried if Marines weren't good at killing tbh. Stupid report.

TWS

Fledgling Freddie
Why is the report stupid?
Possibly over dramatised,ok, but what about is stupid?

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Well I'd be worried if Marines weren't good at killing tbh. Stupid report.

Of course they should be good at killing. The bits that concerned me were more to do with the alleged breakdown in discipline .

Raven said:
yet another one sided story by the press, they never fail.

edit, no i am not defending what happened in any way, but if you fully believe what you read in the papers then you are pretty dumb.

Excuse me, but short of popping over there and checking out the situation personally - where exactly are we supposed to find out what's happening? Anyone who believes EVERYTHING they see on TV or read in papers is indeed pretty dumb. Almost as much as those who believe nothing in the media can be true. The only way that particular story could be said to be one-sided is because the marines refused to talk to the journalist.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
TWS said:
Why is the report stupid?
Possibly over dramatised,ok, but what about is stupid?

What information does it impart?

Some reporter went to a shitty old dam, where some Marines are stationed. Nothing works properly so the place is a shithole. A Marine apparently shot himself in the head, what did he live, die, was it an accident, purposeful? Why mention it if you can't even establish what happened?

An engineer is worried by the Marines, so keeps a 'private dossier' on them. There are people like that in this country, they usually phone the police when their neighbour makes too much noise cutting the lawn. On the other hand, he might have something important to add. Yet again though, nothing is said of what information he has. So why mention it? Can the reporter even prove the engineer has any information on illegal activity? Obviously not.

The entire report stinks of making a story from nothing. All it says is 'hey, some troops are living in a shithole near where some other troops got blown up. They might go mental but I'm only guessing. Still, lets just leave the reader with the impression that the American Marines have gone feral'.

Its bullshit writing of the highest order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom