Core vs Open

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
My understanding is that the core model is more in line with the DaoC RvR structure. Has anyone in beta got an opinion on the difference between the two in terms of the open servers generating the same level of "realm loyalty" (one of DaoC's endearing qualities) as core, or maybe that this will not be a factor at all.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
My understanding is that the core model is more in line with the DaoC RvR structure. Has anyone in beta got an opinion on the difference between the two in terms of the open servers generating the same level of "realm loyalty" (one of DaoC's endearing qualities) as core, or maybe that this will not be a factor at all.

Well - I did already see quite visible fragmentation between players dedicated to each realm in the beta (which strikes me as fun, because of the more objective nature of a beta), so I do think realm pride will be much like it was in DAoC, but I doubt it'll matter much whether the server is "Open or Core" when it comes to this aspect.
I do think we'll see a number of people with "realm pride" and a number of people with "guild pride", meaning there'll be people who fight for the realm and people who only fight for their guild and could care less about the other people on their realm.

So I think the loyalty will indeed still be there to a high degree (similar as DAoC) but I see no reason that it'll differ between server types. Open isn't FFA or anything, so it is still Order vs. Destruction.

Frankly - based on my beta experiences, I do not see much reason to go to Open servers at all, lest one finds it fun to attack others while they do PvE questing (I know some do though)..... :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
What's the difference between open and core again?

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Open= you are flagged for rvr everywhere, except for chapter 1 ( lvl 1-3).This has the drawback that if you as lvl 12 ( Tier 2 lvl) wants to help with a T1 PQ ( lvl 1-11), you are chickenized when you enter the area. Lvl 32 in a T3 area also makes you a chicken.

Core= you are flagged for rvr in rvr areas, in enemy territory when you came through a rvr area, or when you choose to put the rvr flag up.
So as lvl 40 you can help with a T1 PQ without being chickenized.

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
Mind you, you can only ever fight people from the other faction, even on Open servers. So the realmpride will not be tainted by inter-guild-fights.

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
I hope I don't see high level players helping out in a low level PQ.

I hate it when they come down and try to show off. Ohh look how great I am. I can kill stuff sooo easy..GET A LIFE!!

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
I actually like playing together with my friends, and giving them a hand while they are levelling their alts. Especially if they are in an area that most people have leveled past, so it's hard to find a group. I'd say that is a much more important drive for me than showing off.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
I actually like playing together with my friends, and giving them a hand while they are levelling their alts. Especially if they are in an area that most people have leveled past, so it's hard to find a group. I'd say that is a much more important drive for me than showing off.

I agree but like JohnnyBoy suggests, don't do it in PQ's or you'll piss more people off than you help.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
I was going for Core servers quite long time but recently changed to Open. Now with much more people in the beta the PvP is probably much closer to released game sort. On Core servers i feel it can be hard to avoid getting drawn into the big zerg vs zerg fights that is going on in the RvR area. (Video Inc). On Open servers there will still be huge zergs in the RvR areas around the keeps and objectives but on Open you will see much more people roaming the lands for smaller 1v1 or 6v6 fights.

So in Core servers you have 2 types of PvP: Scenarios and Zerg
On Open you got 3. Scenarios, Zerg, Roaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom