"Core" or "Open RvR"

Bourlog

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering what you guys think sounds best, Core or Open RvR?

Well im just gonna follow the old daoc guilds, so i really hope they choose Core cus that just sounds better then that open rvr shit.

If you played wow you know that those fucking gankers running around killing you when trying to level up is kinda annoying, and i dont wanna go trough that again! :p

And i think Core is going to be nicer for RvRers, cus if u wanna rvr you know where to go. RvR zones will be smaller and therefor easy to find people to slaugther. And if that zone is zergy, just go to another zone :)

And ive heard people say that on a corse server there wont be as much group vs group action. But as i said above, jsut go to another zone if its zergy, its not like there is going to be one rvr zone :p

I think Core is going to be more like Emain and Open RvR more like Stranglethorn Vale if you know what i mean :p

Anyway what do you guys think about the two server styles?

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Id more like to see them as Camlann Vs Excal/Pryd. Tho we don't know the exact rules for sure

In fact I enjoyed both back in my DAoC days, not so sure where I'll want to be until the complete rulesets are made official.

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
Open for attack any place anywhere (except maybe starting zones)

Its WAR i want to feel on edge every place i go in fear of being ambushed.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
All depends on where the old daoc players go tbh :>

And how many there will be on the server...

I'd still rather do open rvr

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Core for me, as the game is very PvP (or FvF if you will, perhaps RvR :D) orientated, so there are many opportunities for PvP.
The only thing I've read so far that Open provides that Core does not, is that I could go into the enemy "PvE" areas and attack them. Cause if an enemy enters my "PvE" area, they are automatically flagged for PvP as well, and I can attack them if I so choose.

Otherwise the two mechanics looks very similar to me, with Core being most attractive because there I decide if and when I want to PvP not somebody else, and I have no interest in attacking people unprepared for combat either.

So definitely Core for me as I've understood the rules, so nobody can force their style upon others.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Open for attack any place anywhere (except maybe starting zones)

Its WAR i want to feel on edge every place i go in fear of being ambushed.

Just flag yourself as PvP, and problem solved. (As I understand it there is a PvP flag you can set).
Then you can "fear ambush" everywhere you go.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
The basis of the game is RvR already, I see no reason to go to a server where it's 100% RvR, it's healthy to get some change.

rynnor

Rockhound
The basis of the game is RvR already, I see no reason to go to a server where it's 100% RvR, it's healthy to get some change.

Hmm I played Wow on a pvp server - it was worse in Wow than it will be in war as theres no stealth classes and less cc it seems.

I'm undecided whether I'd do it again - I think on the whole i prefer the daoc formula since being able to choose when to rvr is a lot more fun than being ganked by people 20 levels higher (or more) in some newbie zone :p

Bourlog

Fledgling Freddie
HI think on the whole i prefer the daoc formula since being able to choose when to rvr is a lot more fun

Amen to that :)

Those people saying that WAR IS EVERYWHERE and shit like that.. Come on thats just booring :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
think i'm gonna go core. theres gonna be enough pvp on those servers to satisfy me. and i DO want to have atleast a few places where i can just "hang out" and kill mobs without worrying for griefers.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing better in the day exping in DC valley and the call goes up on the alliance NP fg inc to DC,

Just to watch the 100's of players running to DC for safety or more like my grps those that choose to ignore the warnings only to get ganked about 10 mins later.

Now thats fun!

I've lost track of WAR a bit, but I'd hate to be in a position where i could see a player from another side and not be able to attack him because he had a PVP flag up, thats just crap.

Lets hope they have a least a few different types of server, so the girls can play happy with a PVP flag and the rest of us can fight it out and have the fun. :)

Eble

Canabi

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing better in the day exping in DC valley and the call goes up on the alliance NP fg inc to DC,

Just to watch the 100's of players running to DC for safety or more like my grps those that choose to ignore the warnings only to get ganked about 10 mins later.

Now thats fun!

I've lost track of WAR a bit, but I'd hate to be in a position where i could see a player from another side and not be able to attack him because he had a PVP flag up, thats just crap.

Lets hope they have a least a few different types of server, so the girls can play happy with a PVP flag and the rest of us can fight it out and have the fun. :)

Eble

Well if you dont want to see them where you cant kill them, just dont go to their PvE area.. :p
For what I understood that's how it works...

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
<snip>

Well, the only way this supposedly could happen on a Core server is if you go to their "PvE" area and they decide not to attack you.
All other areas, if you see an enemy you can attack him- the only difference so far between the two is that you decide if you want to attack others, or open yourself up to attack .... not other people deciding for you.

Your PvE area: If an enemy enters, he's automatically flagged.
RvR/PvP area: Automatic flagged.
Their PvE area: You are automatically flagged, and they decide whether they'll attack you or not.
Spiced up with the chicken mechanic as well, to prevent L50s from steamrolling low level areas.

Open means you can attack them in their PvE area without them "consenting, which is exactly why I'll stay away from Open, cause I want the consenting PvP where people are ready and aware. It have always provided me with the most fun aspect of PvP.

However, if things have changed since these information, then I do not know :D

rynnor

Rockhound

Hmm but you were Alliance and I was Horde - it probably seems like a much more fun idea when your on the side that has the numeric advantage but its less fun when theres bunches of level 40 alliance players waiting for the teens Horde players to head towards tarren mill for their quests.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
It'll be core, thats what my guild plan to play and i'm happy with that. Open would be fun for the first character and thats it. Core would provide me with peace and quiet while i craft for a chill out. I can just flag myself if i wanna rumble outside the rvr zones :D

Night_Stalker

Fledgling Freddie
As i see it there are large area with rvr in it for players that like the buzz going on all the time they can just stay there, for gankers ofc that means they have to wait for the few people actuly justdoing quests ther but there should still be plenty. My view on it it's gnna be Core for me aswell as Open seems just like nonsense and gankers paradise.

For me Gankers are just unskilled people that can't stand up when theyr opponent is prepared.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
think i'm gonna go core. theres gonna be enough pvp on those servers to satisfy me. and i DO want to have atleast a few places where i can just "hang out" and kill mobs without worrying for griefers.

Me too. Although I enjoyed the constant warfare from Camlann, it did annoy me as well.

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
Without fail, Core.

it should prove more organised and fun for RvR, and be nice to get away from RvR focus once in a while.
I'd predict that open will rarely have much in the way of skillfull groups, as it will just alot of killing targets just after they pull some big MOB.
Core sounds like it will be alot more like DAoC, which IMO has offered the best PvP to date of any MMO. base something on a winning fomular, and you should have success.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Ok got a better understanding of the mechanics now, I will go core aswell, I can see Open being like the PVP DAOC servers which were fun for all of 5 mins in the day.

OFC with core once you have got a few levels you could hang about the PVE areas and wait for the nme's to wandering and kill em, with the keep sieges this game sounds more and more fun :)

See you out there.

Eble

Bourlog

Fledgling Freddie
OFC with core once you have got a few levels you could hang about the PVE areas and wait for the nme's to wandering and kill em,
Eble

I dunno if u got it wrong or maybe its just me being stupid now, but you cant kill enemies in the pve zones. Atleast thats what ive been reading :)

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
I believe its as follows... (not bothered looking this up, just from last memory)

ZONES
------------
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
------------

Zone 1 = Order
zone 2 = neutral (world rvr?)
zone 3 = dest.

If Order goes into zone 3 he can not attack, but Dest players can attack him.
If Dest goes into Zone 1 he can not attack, but Order players can attack him
In neutral area, its all open.

Bourlog

Fledgling Freddie
I believe its as follows... (not bothered looking this up, just from last memory)

ZONES
------------
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
------------

Zone 1 = Order
zone 3 = dest.

But there has to be some /pvp on /pvp off then.
Like if the Order guy gets into the zone 3 he can only attack Dest player with PvP on, makes sence?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
But there has to be some /pvp on /pvp off then.
Like if the Order guy gets into the zone 3 he can only attack Dest player with PvP on, makes sence?

I do think there is a PvP flag you can set, but its been some time I've read about it.
But the order guy is automatically flagged and open to attacks, so this means - that in my (not so humble) opinion - that the "Open" caters most to the people who want to attack unprepared people, as all other forms of PvP looks to exists on Core as well.
But I think it is very much a result of (some) people (not anyone specific or here) just looking at the name and then jumping to a conclusion, that this confusion about the servers exists in general.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik, Core is the way the gamedesigners developed it 'as intended'. Open is for the hardcore gankfreaks, and all they've done for it is flag certain areas differently so people can be attacked. Meaning, it looks to me, that core will be a better balanced game. But from the looks of it, everyone agrees...is there anyone who wants to go open?

/edit: Oh, looks like Crispy goes open.

Z

Zojak

ZONES
------------
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
------------

Zone 1 = Order
zone 3 = dest.

What you’re stating is more of what WOW has for their PvP servers. This is incorrect from what I’ve seen/read. First, I do not think there are THREE zones like you say. I think it’s more of two zones with a certain percentage of each being RvR areas. Unlike DAoC though, your enemy can enter your zone. Not only can they enter it but from the videos and podcasts I’ve seen, it appears they have quests in your zone as well. Also it’s been stated that initially your first zone is about 80% PvE and 20% RvR and that by the time you get to the endgame your main zones will be 80% RvR and 20% PvE.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
On Open RvR servers you can probably forget doing any PvE at all ever!

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
What you’re stating is more of what WOW has for their PvP servers. This is incorrect from what I’ve seen/read. First, I do not think there are THREE zones like you say. I think it’s more of two zones with a certain percentage of each being RvR areas. Unlike DAoC though, your enemy can enter your zone. Not only can they enter it but from the videos and podcasts I’ve seen, it appears they have quests in your zone as well. Also it’s been stated that initially your first zone is about 80% PvE and 20% RvR and that by the time you get to the endgame your main zones will be 80% RvR and 20% PvE.

Your both right

There are 2 maps for each of the first 3 tiers for each racial pairing.

Each of these maps has a PvE and an RvR area. When you put the two maps together the relevant RvR areas fit together much like a jigsaw. This essentially creates one map with an RvR area seperating the two PvE zones.

As the tiers get higher the size of the linking rvr area increase and encroaches on the PvE area causing it to shrink.

Tier 4 has 5 maps. One for each capital city area. One for each side with a small PvE and a large RvR area (like the other tiers) and a 5th all RvR map in the middle. Thus giving you a large area to fight over and win before you can sack the enemy capital.

At least that's how I would do it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom