Core Combat

D

Deadmanwalking

Right in a possibly vain attempt to get something going on in here...

Core Combat: Worthy Expansion pack or Cheap cash in by Sony?

You the public decide.

Edit: All information on corecombat is on the offical site http://planetside.station.sony.com/

O

old.Dillinja

What is core combat? Apart from the obvious. (it being an expansion)

J

Jupitus

I went for worthy expansion... it's a toughie as I can well see many would argue that this is just stuff that should go into the main game, but I do feel that they have been making regular revisions and trying to keep the main game from becoming static as is.

Of course, I'd prefer it if the patches weren't always introducing new bugs and I think their QA/version control needs looking at, but the intention is along the right lines in my view.

T

Tenko

I voted dumb cash in, not because PS couldn't do with a nice add-on pack I just don't think much of it.

Don't like the look of the underground combat or the weapons.

M

mid_Efour

i said worthy,

PS is a sound game, i like it alot. If they released the game and didnt keep promosing online updates with new S**T id be more than happy with paying a few quid for more material, maps and guns-big guns.

i dont mind tho anything to make the game more interesting.

S

Spinky

I'd say cash-in, some of the additions are expack worthy, but the vehicles are simple things that would have been more welcome as empire specific variations rather than all 'Ancient Tech'.

Since when did the TR suddenly decide they'd drop all the anti alien tech (spawn tubes and suchlike notwithstanding) and embrace the Ancient technology left by the extinct alien race, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that supposed to be the Vanu mantra? with the TR bitterly opposed to it all, and the NC being freedom fighters?

ah sod it, rant over. Some nice additions but it's not all been thought out as intricately as i'd have hoped :(

Y

Yoni

Although I've gone for worthy expansion pack - I will reserve my right to change that vote till after I have played it.

As for the factions theories on Alien Technology.

It may have been TR's initial cause to be anti everything down that route, unfortunately they don't seem to mind giving out some lasher treatment when they pick one up :p, and NC will use any means to fight for freedom.
:p

C

.Cask

I voted cash-in because I haven't played in a while and because releasing an expansion a few months after release is ridiculous. They probably had most of it done before the main release and decided to hold it back.

I just hope that they pack the expansion with the main game and don't bump up the price too much because it'll put off new players in droves. Game, subscription fee and expansion? Pretty big investment :(

Y

Yoni

Originally posted by Jupitus
.... like Magriders, for example ;)

heh you have to admit pl and bs did well to hack three in one go and have one of them left when I went to bed last night :clap:

there is a message in there:

Vanu when trying to kill us when we take a tower plz plz plz remember not to leave your vehicles unattended :p

F

Faeldawn

Cash-in, but only because its too soon after the initial release to make us pay for a game improvement.

As for the actual core combat, i'll wait until i see it before i decide.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Cash-in, but only because its too soon after the initial release to make us pay for a game improvement.

As for the actual core combat, i'll wait until i see it before i decide.

Erm... this pole is about "The actual corecombat" so im not sure what planet you are on.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Erm... this pole is about "The actual corecombat" so im not sure what planet you are on.

I'm saying that releasing the mod is a cash-in as it is being released too soon after the initial game release, BUT just because it's a cash-in does not mean that it's not a worthy addition to the game, i will wait to test the core-combat content for myself before i decide on the latter.

Do the words "mutually exclusive" mean anything to you?

Think you should re-read what you post before flaming others, but then again you always love to try and flame people unsuccessfully and end up looking a fool when it comes back to bite you.

D

Deadmanwalking

My post was in no way a flame oh great master.

And if you look at the poll its a choice - Expansion pack worth it or not.

R

Rigon-Noir-

I was a bit undecided on this but in the end i voted worthy expansion. Have to say i only voted that because anything that keeps Planetside moving forward and keeps a good amount of players intersted has got to be a good thing.

Having to pay for it and having it release so close to the original Planetside i think is still poor

X

Xavier

It's a bit of a con from where i'm sitting... month on month Turbine produce whole new episodes to Asherons Call 2 - recently adding a whole new continent (Heroes Isle, Arramora), new monsters, new items, an increased level cap - all of the things gamers paid for in Shrouded Isles for DAoC and it's not costed the subscribers an extra penny.

Microsoft decided that £120 a year plus the original game cost from each gamer is enough for them and I agree - if you buy PS (~£30) then the expansion (~£22) then getting on for a £10 a month and think it's a good deal, you're probably also the kind of person who thinks they're getting a triffic deal on a car just because the slimy salesman says so...:rolleyes:

P

[PS]Nova

Then again (and I'm not in any way saying that I agree with this, I don't) you have to admit that Microsoft are also a company that can afford not to charge for the expansions - they aren't exactly short of cash, and they have other avenues of revenue.

Other gaming companies have to balance profit with pleasing customers, and you can never please all of the people all of the time. They may well feel that since they have spent so many man hours coding the thing, that they should get some return on that, since it has cost them a lot - the PS subs may be covering something like original costs or something, but not the coding of the expansion. (OK this doesn't apply to SOE, but still)

Bear in mind, I know nothing about how game development works, so excuse me if I'm wrong and tell me nicely :)

I don't agree with it at all, altho I'm such a sucker I prob will buy it when I can find the money from somewhere, but all I'm saying is I can see how they might have made that decision.

Although I'm sure cold hard profit is one of Sony's aims, they wouldn't have gotten this far and this big if it was their only one.

Anyway, just my 2cents :)

S

Scouse

Expansion should be bundled with the full game from now on - and current subscribers should only have to pay a one-off £5 extra for this.

At the end of the day - you pay more for this type of game than for any other. - £35 for the game, £10/month...

£155/year just to play ONE game? And they want to make you pay another 30 quid for that?

F*CK that.

I, for one, will not be buying unless they charge no more than nominal price. Don't forget they've already got:

• graphics engine
  • physics engine
  • netcode
  • subscriber base
  • servers
  • experience in this type of work
  • loads of cash from current subscribers
  • vast-majority-of-the-work-done-already-ness

:(

R

Rigon-Noir-

Scouse, i couldn't agree more mate, well, up to a couple of nights ago anyway. Yes i still think it's too quick but having now played it i have to say you can see a lot of work has gone into this expansion and all the members of our outfit who have it are very impressed. I downloaded from SOE, paid around £20 which isnt too bad and due to the amount of files already pulled accross with recent patches my final download took 7 mins (takes me longer than that to drive to game (hehe takes me longer that that to get dressed :D)). Looking back since release we've had a lot of patches that have vastly changed the game, Platoons being one of the more recent, although i know we were promised that at release. Others tho when you think about them, Lib, Skyguard LLU and Base benefits have all been patches and have all constantly evolved the game from what it orginally was when most if not all of us started to play. Half our platoon last night didn't have CC, they worked above ground while we worked below, they still have access to all the extras in CC when they are brought to the surface, just not access to the geowarps and the caverns and like i say, when you get down there, its huge. Of course, it's each to their and if people feel an early expansion is still more of an insult than the 20 quid it costs i understand that, no one has to buy it. I did becuase the amount of my gaming time that goes on Planetside is about 95% and i still enjoy it a great deal. Its a shame you can't get a 7 day trial to the expansion, i'm sure more would take the plunge.

Must add this tho, in comparison to DAOC which i played for just short of a year and a half (and my brother still plays) i think the devs do a great job, you tend to get patches every night and they are constantly looking at fixes and improvements for the game, can't fault em really :D

Users who are viewing this thread