Cordless Joysticks

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I saw this little baby in PC World last night, whilst just looking around, and as my Microsoft Sidewinder 2 has just gone pop for some reason, I was thinking "why not a cordless joystick".

Often, whilst playing Battlefield 1942, I jump in a plane and grab the joystick, but what concerns me about cordless ones is battery power, do they switch off after a certain amount of time to conserve it, would this be a problem mid-game ?

Anyone have experiences of using cordless joysticks and recommendations if possible.

TIA

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
As far as I know, it wouldn't need to reinit the driver or anything when you grab the joystick, but there may be a second or two while the wireless 'wakes up'.
Bym has one and hasn't ever complained.

If you literally need response from the first movement you might find it takes a while to get used to the delay when the joystick first reconnects.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I have one of these. You just need to remember that if you havent flown anything for a few minutes (cant remember the exact time, but I can check if you like), then you need to press any of the fire buttons to reconnect the joystick. The reconnection takes < 1 second so isnt any hastle.

The only problem is if you forget all about it, then you are sat there wiggling the throttle to no effect.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Excellent, an answer and it saves me turning Byms PC on.

Xav

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Okay, got the joystick and tried it out today.

What can I say but fan-bloody-tastic, I'd recommend one any day.

I loved the solid feel of the thing in the shop, and having no cord is a real bonus, even with it sitting in my lap it is easy to use.

Funnily enough, I keep seeing people on Battlefield 1942 jumping into planes and firing off a few rounds as they taxi off the runway, I can see why now, they must have this stick, as you need to click the fire button to get it working :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom