copy cats

S

sheepseyes

Microsoft announce Mythica
Web posted on 28/4/03

Internal game design studio working on new online RPG based on Norse mythology. How. Cool. Is that?

In much the same way that there can never be enough games featuring monkeys, here at SR we believe that there just can't be too many titles about Vikings. Pointy hats, long boats, round shields, all the pillaging you can handle - those Norsemen were just made for videogames. And Microsoft have been good enough to sate our desire with Mythica, an online RPG based on the Viking's culture, religion and aforementioned pointy hats.

The game uses Microsoft's "private realm technology," which allows each player to play the part of a dead Viking warrior arriving at the gates of Valhalla seeking to achieve god-hood, while still retaining the social dynamic of online gaming.

There are public spaces and private realms, and within the latter the player is the central character in the on-running storyline, and their actions will have long-running consequences in their own game. We're not one hundred percent sure how the system of running a strong one-player storyline within an online world will work, but Microsoft are promising that the game will "revitalize the massily multi-player genre by putting the focus where it belongs: on gameplay."

Several planes of existence are being touted, all taken from Viking mythology. The eternal spring at Asgard and the fiery heart of Muspellheim will be amongst those present, along with creatures like the Midgard Serpant, which will be hard to destroy - even with your God-like powers.

Mythica gets it's first public outing at E3 in a couple of weeks and it is scheduled for release in 2004. Remember where you heard about it first...

S

Sharma

Microsoft are such tossers now, cant think for themselves :flame:

T

tripitaka

10/1

Originally posted by sharma

Taking bets tho - is it gonna be better than DAOC ?

D

Draylor

Originally posted by sharma
What do you mean now?

Name one Microsoft product with any originality at all that wasnt developed for them by a third party?

What they do well is create "good enough" clones of other peoples products and beat them with marketing.

B

bredo

Umm i don't see the copy cat issue here.

FYI norse mythology wasn't created with Daoc ;)

P

Pin

Originally posted by bredo
Umm i don't see the copy cat issue here.

FYI norse mythology wasn't created with Daoc ;)

Mythica?

O

old.LandShark

I think you might be pushing it a teensie bit, although I'm not contradicting what Dray said.
I mean, we don't play a game called Mythic, we play a game called Dark Age of Camelot, and only a third of it is even remotely connected to norse mythology.
Btw, DAoC is such a ripoff of The Lost Vikings.

lostvikings.jpg

N

Nightchill

looks a completely different style of game... copying? been plenty of other games based on mythology.

P

Pin

Not that I care. It's Microsoft. It'll undoubtedly suck.

O

old.LandShark

I would like to point you towards my mouse, my joystick and my regular and highly enjoyable games of LAN Age of Empires2 :p

P

Pin

Originally posted by old.LandShark
I would like to point you towards my mouse, my joystick and my regular and highly enjoyable games of LAN Age of Empires2 :p

Mouse was not made "in house". Joystick was not made "in house". TBH, I don't know if Age of Empires2 was made "in house" or not.

There's a big difference between something with a Microsoft badge on the box and it being made by Microsoft.

O

old.LandShark

OK, AoE was made by Ensemble. :(
Recent Mechwarrior franchise games.... not in-house either...
Flight Sims... also not in-house.
Bah, ok. ;)

O

old.LandShark

lostvikings.jpg

Btw....

From left to right:
-Novamir
-An animist turret
-Outlaw (top) and Zoyster (bottom, lost, note the stylish red AF37 vest)
-Hatts!

P

Pin

Btw....

From left to right:
-Novamir
-An animist turret
-Outlaw (top) and Zoyster (bottom, lost, note the stylish red AF37 vest)
-Hatts!

:ROFLMAO:

I notice that in this incarnation, the Theurgist BT used a shield graphic.

O

old.LandShark

And that avalonians had leet beards. PH34R Z07$T@R's |\/|4D |3£4RD 5K!LLz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom