Converting a DVD Movie to Mpg4 format for the Ipod video.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I want to convert a DVD movie to mpeg4 ipod video format. Does anyone know any FREE and fast converters?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
There are still very few _free_ one-step DVD ripper and converter tools, remember that decryption of the CSS on a DVD is illegal unless you have a licenced product, which usually means you have to pay for it.

Separating the ripping (decoding) and conversion processes is normally a better way.

The sites videohelp.com and dvd-guide.com contain a wealth of guides and free software to do this.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Xane, do you know any free ones then? ^^ i don't really wanna pay more money as i just paid £220 for the bloody thing.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
This may help.

I know nothing about ripping video to ipod, but I can type 'ipod video ripping' into Google, and this was the first thing that came up.
RB

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Just put this up on my site.

Super DVD to iPod Converter

Have run and installed the program and everything looks fine. I don't know the limitation of the program though as it is a trial version. Might be worth trying out. I am changing my site to concentrate on software mainly now and working my way through it slowly. Just bought some software off my site myself infact - DVDCopy 95 lite for just £13. Also bought some other programs as they work so damn well. Anyways the above is a trial so you can see if it fits the bill first which is ideal in my opinion :) . Purchasing products gets you lifetime access to upgrades more often than not. I have always used cracked versions of programs myself upto now but on testing some products I forked out for lifetime support and upgrades. Worth every penny so far :D .

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Dudley52 said:
Xane, do you know any free ones then? ^^ i don't really wanna pay more money as i just paid £220 for the bloody thing.

There are plenty of free ones if you want a separate ripper.

DVD Decrypter seems to be the one most people recommend, I use one called SmartRipper which has worked well for me.

Once you have the decoded VOB on your disk, there is a wealth of software dedicated to converting it to any format you want, most of them are largely reliant on codecs, so you need those installed as well.

I use FlaskMPEG and the DivX codec, which comes in the free DivX Player bundle.

You might want to see if you can get the AAC sound codec for iPod, I think it offers a better compression and playback.

Recently I've been experiementing with different methods of conversion for my video clips for my Palm, so a lot of my software needs urgent updating.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
So Xane i rip the videos to my computer using the DVDFab Decrypter then use the Divx program to convert it to mpg4?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
dvdx works nicely for windows to get it into mpeg format
http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

then you want videodora ipod converter to convert that to m4v
(you might be able to get dvdx to output in m4v directly but I'm too lazy to actually find out and just used the thing I used to convert the random .movs I had kicking around)
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

takes about 40 minutes to get one 25m episode of black books onto my ipod for watching on the bus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom