Contact Lenses

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Ok, so I finally got them.

Had them in for 3-4 hours today and just took them out (thats what they said to do).
I have monthly disposables. For those of you with experience of them I have one question that I forgot to ask. Do I have to leave them in the barrel soaking case (with solution in) until the next time I wear them? Because it says leave them in the solution for at least 4 hours or overnight. So does that mean I empty the solution after 4 hours then leave them in the barrel without solution?

I was using the pc for 30 mins with them in and they are bloody annoying. TV wasn't as bad but not 100% comfortable. I guess its not ok to go to the cinema with them in either?

any tips/advice appreciated

Ormorof

FH is my second home
leave them in the solution until you put them back in your eyes :p

it gets better, just stick with it, once your eyes adjust to being able to see again its no problem (and get used to having things in them), the recommended max time for wearing is about 8 hours, but i would ignore that and wear them for as long as is comfortable (if thats less than 8 hours take them out, if a few hours more its not a problem) the only thing i would stress is dont sleep in them as this can really fuck up your eyes :p

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
leave them in the solution until you put them back in your eyes :p

it gets better, just stick with it, once your eyes adjust to being able to see again its no problem (and get used to having things in them), the recommended max time for wearing is about 8 hours, but i would ignore that and wear them for as long as is comfortable (if thats less than 8 hours take them out, if a few hours more its not a problem) the only thing i would stress is dont sleep in them as this can really fuck up your eyes :p

Ok, I was recommended a maximum of 12 hours.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

hehe i guess it varies, just wear them as long as its comfortable :p

when i first started i could only wear them a few hours before switching back to glasses, now i can wear them from when i get up until i get out of bed with no problem :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Having contact lenses won't help you pass your driving test :p

Hubix

Fledgling Freddie
had contact lenses while i learnt to drive after that i dont bother using them, they are too irritating would rather have eye laser surgery instead of forking out for disposible lenses.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH

I work a shift pattern of 12hours on 12 hours off for 4 days a time, I tried Contact lenses first time round, its not worth the hassle, 8 hours (different for each person) is usuall the max amount of time, as they say where glasses for reading or vdu use.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Having contact lenses won't help you pass your driving test :p

actually it might :p

as you have much much better peripheral vision with lenses compared to nearly none with glasses :p

Hubix

Fledgling Freddie
anyone actually had eye laser surgery here and can give us a low down on it?

Nate

FH is my second home
I had a little trouble when I wore contact lenses, that in dusty areas my eyes would sting. I think it was drying out, I wore them 7 days a week for 12 hours at most. I'd recommend carrying some solution+case+glasses with you still at least for the first few days if your going out for a while, don't want to be blind if you need to take them out and get lost on your way home!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

Paul Ross (Jonathan's brother) was talking about it on LBC radio a week or so back. He said before the laser treatment he was blind as a bat (relatively speaking OFC) and he's now got 20-20 vision. He had to wear sunglasses for the next 6 months and put loads of drops in, but for 2 or 3 grand (which he can afford naturally) he says its well worth it.

There's still risks ofc - as with anything in life. Go for it IMO.

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH

The GF paid to have it done a few years ago (when it was still expensive) so things may have changed a little but it really wasn't that big of a thing. It just meant a visit for 'surgery' for each eye, a few visits for checkups etc and lots of eyedrops. Oh and you'll need someone with you as they won't let you go home alone / drive etc

They gave her a vallium type thing to calm her down a little and put some anaesthetic drops in her eye...

After that, it's a small cut in the lens so they could lift it to get direct access to the cornea without damaging it. Then they just zapped it with a laser, ok maybe a bit more technical than that using machines with very precise calibration so they didn't f*ck it up!!!

Aftercare involved wearing an protective eyepatch for a little while and some eyedrops while it healed. Minor discomfort at this point but nothing to worry about - she's a wimp and she handled it just fine!!!

Apparently there are a few cases where patients need long term eye drops afterwards but the GF was sooo pleased with the results she thought it worth the risk.

Only other thing was that she was told she'd need eye tests 10 years after the proceedure, when eyesight might start to deteriorate again naturally.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
uncle had it done a few weeks ago, with a new american method (the only method the US airforce apparently allow pilots to use o_O) and after 3 days he said he had perfect vision again, no idea how much it cost but he keeps going on about it whenever i see him now hehe

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Just make sure you can recognise when you put your contacts in the wrong eye. Its fun! But makes it dangerous to drive heh. Oh also, beware of your eyes drying out if you are looking at monitors all day.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Had them in for around 6 hours today. But my normal method of taking them out didn't work. I normally push the eyelids together to make them come out. I saw them lifting but they just didn't come out.

So had to push the contacts on the white part of the eye and pinch them out.

How do you lot remove yours?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
i just pinch them out, only way to describe it really. Put 2 fingers over eye and pinch :)

You'll get used to it. I remember putting them in used to take me about 10 minutes but now it takes literally a few seconds.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
i just pinch them out, only way to describe it really. Put 2 fingers over eye and pinch :)

You'll get used to it. I remember putting them in used to take me about 10 minutes but now it takes literally a few seconds.

I hate going near the colour part of my eye. Don't know why. Which is why i put it on the white part. Is it ok to do that?

Everz

FH is my second home

i just use one and pinch it out, and used one to put it in.. by looking at till its near my then looking up and placing it on the white, the looking down and slowly blinking, piece of piss lol

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Had them in for around 6 hours today. But my normal method of taking them out didn't work. I normally push the eyelids together to make them come out. I saw them lifting but they just didn't come out.

So had to push the contacts on the white part of the eye and pinch them out.

How do you lot remove yours?

My consultant game me some great advice. Stroke twice, then pinch twice. So use the index finger of your hand on the side you are taking out. Place it on the lens and slowly stroke down to remove it from its grip of your eye. Then pinch from the side.

The stroke/pinch combo is applicable to so many ares of life!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
taking it out becomes so easy after a while hehe, took me ages to put them in/take them out when i started now i barely think about it :p

your eyes will desensitize to your touch and you'll be able to touch your eyes np :p

(shouldnt actually have to touch the coloured part of your eye anyhoo, just pinch and pull :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom