Contact Lenses

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I have had glasses for about 2 months and I was thinking about giving contact lenses a try. Theres different types of contact lenses like daily disposables and 30 days ones but I don't know which to go for. Any of you had experience with contact lenses? Just looking for info regarding comfort and which ones to go for. I only want them for when I go out as I will stick to glasses at home, but maybe the 30 day ones are decent, I don't know.
I've read about them on optician websites but they never, ever say the downside about them.

Would appreciate all your help!

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
your eye sight cant be 2 bad, so you probably dont need em, just wear them around the house and to read imo... glass's that is

Chronictank

FH is my second home
1) use daily disposables, they will get you used to contacts and if you dont like them you wont lose much. They also means you dont have to mess about with solutions or are too worried about ripping them by mistake

2) If you decide you want to stay with contacts go onto monthly ones where they give you solutions etc.

As a word of advice dont just look for the cheapest option, perosnally i pay for Sauflon ones and not had problems with them

Solution wise your optician can advise you best, i persoally use the "light" version of the solution as i found the usual one uncomfortable, its really specific to each person if you have issues (especially early on) dont ignore it , phone your optician and get it fixed.

After a couple of days you wont even notice you have them on, incidently dont forget to take them off :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
go with fortnight/2weekly ones. monthly ones can irritating towards the end of their life, can sometimes lose them too which just creates hassle, same when u get the occasional fold/breakage type thing ;<

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
psyco said:
your eye sight cant be 2 bad, so you probably dont need em, just wear them around the house and to read imo... glass's that is
No, its incredibly bad. Can't read board in college, can't read times of trains, can't read anything. I have just put up with it for the past 8 years I would say. God knows how I done it. I always sat at the front desk at class and i still had to squint to see the board. I need my glasses for EVERYTHING except for say reading a book and things close up. Its just as i started driving recently I HAD to have an eye test. It was the first time in my life and I was shocked how much of a difference I see better now. I realise it affected my life. But I wear my glasses for using the PC as normally I sat so close to the monitor I always had headaches. Now I never get headaches. Hell lifes better now, I can even watch go to the cinema and sit in the back row and I don't have to sit 1 metre from the TV.

Ty for the advice Chronic and Megadave

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Dudley52 said:
No, its incredibly bad. Can't read board in college, can't read times of trains, can't read anything. I have just put up with it for the past 8 years I would say. God knows how I done it. I always sat at the front desk at class and i still had to squint to see the board. I need my glasses for EVERYTHING except for say reading a book and things close up.
You seriously fucked your eyes up good by squinting them for eight years to read the schoolboard. Consider yourself lucky that you can still read a book without glasses - I can't.

Anyway, I'd say you're better off with monthly lenses, buy a (rather expensive) packet for six months and you're all set for half a year. Make sure to rinse and wash them exactly as it says and don't be tempted to wear them longer then a day without washing them :p

Sure, you could lose one, but just make sure that you don't lose one then.

:D

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Dudley52 said:
No, its incredibly bad

oh, ok sorry... but dont you feel a bit werid having to put them in your eyes every day though? i couldn't do it personally...

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
psyco said:
oh, ok sorry... but dont you feel a bit werid having to put them in your eyes every day though? i couldn't do it personally...
Yeah but glasses are really crap. When you get used to putting contacts in i guess it only takes like less than a minute

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i went straight to monthlies and never looked back... (after wearing glasses for 5 years :p )
the only real problem ive ever had is that if you're somewhere inconvenient and they start irritating your eye and you have to take them out its a months worth of lens lost in one fell swoop :p

just make sure you only wear them for as long as is comfortable (recommended is like 8 hours a day but if you can go for longer without them becoming dry/irritating its not a problem) also dont sleep wearing them as that causes the oxygen bubbles trapped by the lenses to cause little dents in your eye (thats what my optician told me after i slept in them for 4 days due to end of term parties)

other than that yay go contacts and boo to speccies :D

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Worn glasses for more years than I care to remember and absolutely loved the 30 day leave in constantly ones. Loved I tell ya!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
psyco said:

at first it was really weird, now i can touch my eyeballs without even thinking about it :p

grosses some people out but everyone ive ever spoken to who's worn contacts for a while say they get used to touching their eyes :p

I use lenses myself dont even own a pair of glasses anymore.

I tryed most of the diffrent types and brands. What I found to work best is daylies from Johnsson & Johnsson, might be the most expensive ones but they are really the best.
I'd also advice you to try forthnight/2 week ones wich you do not take out at all, not even when you sleep. Personally I found it unecessary and if you loose one or rip one it can be a pain.

Hope all works out well for ya bro.

kivik

Part of the furniture
Ormorof said:
at first it was really weird, now i can touch my eyeballs without even thinking about it :p

grosses some people out but everyone ive ever spoken to who's worn contacts for a while say they get used to touching their eyes :p

Same here :)

Using monthlies since 5 years, only downside is that I can't watch TV/Cinema/PC monitor for long without getting irritated. Putting them on/taking them off is really easy.

Going to buy some new glasses (as my current ones are like 6y and worn as hell) and use them more than normally.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
nooooooooooo dont do it!! glasses are teh sexy!

also i heard this thing where someone got contact lenses and one fell out ad they didnt notice and at night they detached their own retina trying to pry it off because they thought it was the lens!!! ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Ezteq said:
nooooooooooo dont do it!! glasses are teh sexy!

also i heard this thing where someone got contact lenses and one fell out ad they didnt notice and at night they detached their own retina trying to pry it off because they thought it was the lens!!! ewwwwwwwwwwww!
Surely you notice it when you grasp your retina instead of a lens :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Congax said:
you do o_O
aswell as the fact most monthly ones are tinted now so you can see them

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Congax said:
well i would but tbh this person was clearly a n00b... i suspect alcomohol was involved too at some point, but i could be wrong.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Can't / won't ever wear contact lenses. Not going anywhere near my eyeballs thank you

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:

i can touch my eye ball no problem, its just leaving something in their that concerns me, for the same reason i wouldn't smuggle drugs up my ass or put something in my pee hole

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Well thanks for the info everyone, been great help. Made me want to get them even more (except for Ezteq's comment heh). Hopefully my opticians do a 14 day trial or something with them. I'm really looking forward to trying them out! When I do get them I'll tell you all what I think. Probably won't be for maybe another 2 weeks but anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom