constant reboots.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
i haven`t had a black screen or blue screen yet, i haven`t been thrown to desktop yet. i just have more than 1 reboot each hour now :S

it only happens when i`m in towns / camps (places where the merchants and stuff are) never in pve, rvr or scenarios.

also, after the reboot, when i log back in to the game and i select my character, it starts loading the zone, then it ends up at char selection again, and second time i select my char and start loading the zone it works... EVERY TIME.

this is soo different from in closed beta.

i did upgrade my vidcard from an ATI 9600 PRO (128 mb ram) to an ATI (asus brand) 3650 (512MB ram) during the time between closed beta and open beta though. i would expect LESS problems than i had before. i don`t know if this change in hardware is responsible, and with all the games i tried since upgrading my hardware i did not have a single problem, so i don`t `think` my vid card is responsible. my frame rate has radically improved, my lag is almost unexisting compared to when i was running the ati 9600 vid card.

the rest of the system is an asrock k8-combo-z motherboard, an AMD 3000 CPU, 2 GB of ddr 400, win xp pro sp 3, direct x version 9.0c.

cpu temperature is 36 C, vid card temperature is 38 C, so overheating is CERTAINLY not an issue.

i find it highly annoying and have no clue if the problem is from my side or from the game`s side.

mikasaka

Fledgling Freddie
What powersupply are you using? If you have recently upgraded from a 9600 to a 3650 then your components may not be recieving enough power to operate.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
thanks for reply.

i have considered that option. while it `could`be the cause, i kinda doubt it.

last year i upgraded my PSU from the vintage 250 W that was in it to a 400 W one. i do not think this new vid card takes more than 150 W extra power compared to the previous one, but it could be i guess.

i might try and get a 250 W i still have laying around and use that only to provide it for the 12 Volt conecter the vga card needs and see if that makes a difference. and i might try to underclock the vid card from the factory default of 725 to 500 mhz. i`m sure that should make a decent difference in W used.

cheers,

any further input is welcome.

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
I once upgraded from 128 card to a 256 card. And my PS was to weak to handle that, i upgraded to a 550, a must have today at least imo.
My comp kepts rebooting and one day never started heh, so i suggest get a new PS.

Faya

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and i have a headache and wont do much on a PC today...on the other side im in OB..decisions!

/ontopic
What i wanted to type is, does your new card has TV on it and MAYBE its own powersupply connector aswell? I remember that i had forgotten to connect the card power for a week and suffered for it :)

Faya

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Oh and i have a headache and wont do much on a PC today...on the other side im in OB..decisions!

/ontopic
What i wanted to type is, does your new card has TV on it and MAYBE its own powersupply connector aswell? I remember that i had forgotten to connect the card power for a week and suffered for it :)

Faya

it has TV out, but no TV connected to it.

it has it`s own 12 V power connector though (standard 4 pin thingy that you plug into a dvd or ide hard disk.) which is connected.

the thing won`t even start up without the 12 volt connected to the VGA card.

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
did you wipe your old drivers before installing the new ones?

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
if your using a 4 pin driver conection instead of the 6/8 pin PCIe conector most new cards use make sure there is as little as possible conected to the power suply lead you have going to the card as each lead can only give off a limited amount of power and you can try to take too much from one and get errors.

this is why most cards tend to use 6/8 pin PCIe power conector as it is normaly on its own meaning there is nothing else drawing from the power the graphics card is using.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
did you wipe your old drivers before installing the new ones?

yeah, tbh, i upgraded from win 2000 to xp pro sp3, so it was virtually a reinstall from scratch.

and i know i should remove old drivers, switch of computer, replace vid car,
boot up and install new drivers.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
if your using a 4 pin driver conection instead of the 6/8 pin PCIe conector most new cards use make sure there is as little as possible conected to the power suply lead you have going to the card as each lead can only give off a limited amount of power and you can try to take too much from one and get errors.

this is why most cards tend to use 6/8 pin PCIe power conector as it is normaly on its own meaning there is nothing else drawing from the power the graphics card is using.

k8 combo-z is an agp motherboard.

but it `looks` like it indeed is a PSU issue where when i do demanding stuff, the PSU can`t keep up.

i just stripped on old computer with a 300 watt psu of everything except cpu and 256 mb ram (even took out vid card, hd, cdrom, diskdrive and network card to keep as much watt of those 300 watt available) and used a 12 volt connector from that psu to connect to my vid card and it `seems` stable now.

(kids, don`t try this at home)

i now have 2 cases whithout side panels chucked to eachother with power cables running from one to the other, lol

seems like i indeed need to upgrade my PSU.

what a mess, lol

cheers and thanks for all the input you all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom