Constant framerate in CoD

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, I posted this in the CoD forum first of all, but someone suggested I might have more luck posting it here, so here goes:

I've started playing CoD on the PC again after many months away... I got it at release, but never played it all that much (other games to play, etc.), but after being inspired back to FPS' (while I wait for WoW), I decided to give CoH another run.

I was playing today, and I'm able to play it on full rez (1280x1024) with max settings, etc.. and for the most part, it runs very well... but it's not perfect, and I often get graphics lag just at the wrong point (such as an enemy appearing in front of me, or while turning or something)....

And it's giving me a headache (the fact I've been playing shooters on my xbox, with it's constant frame rate, does not help much.. going from that to this is a real brain-sore).

Anyway, can anyone here suggest anything I can do is make it run smoother with a constant framerate? I don't mind doing things like knocking the rez down (which I did at one point, but didn't solve the problem), or changing some of the settings, but I don't think that's acully going to fix the problem.. so are there any hidden config options I might be able to play with?

Thanks in advance...

Oh, I guess you'll be needing my spec:

Evesham Voyager 6400 A30
AMD Althlon 64 3200+ Processor
1024 MBs RAM
60GB Hard Drive
15.1" SXGA+ TFT Screen (1400x1050)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 128MB
Windows XP Home
Latest Catalist drivers - I think, recent ones at least (using Patje's Mobility Modder to make them work on my laptop)

PS, I'm talking about online play.... not singleplayer...

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Hey xep :)

Assuming you're still struggling with obtaining a steady framerate, I suggest having a look at the excellent UCguide to quake 3. The CoD variables are very very similar to Q3 and you will find lots of useful hints here on finding a steady framerate and setting your config appropriately.
You will find your CoD config within 'C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\Main' called config.cfg and config_mp.cfg (being the one it uses for multiplayer games). Most of the commands on the webby you will be able to search for in your cod config file (commands are likely to be named identically or very similar) and change the settings as needed. Have a look through the 'Frame rate and visual tweaks' part in particular and try to recreate some of the example configs listed there. Then cap it (com_maxfps) at a regularly obtainable level, turn off anti-aliasing and v_sync if necessary and set r_displayrefresh to monitor refresh rate.

Generally tweaking the config to achieve what your after is done easiest by lowering some of the '32 bit' settings to '16', lowering the detail levels and a lot of fps can be gained from lowering sound quality believe it or not.

Hope that helps.

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
Thank you for the info, i'll check it out :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom