Conspiracy Theory: Gandalf?!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Found this in another forum and find it mildly funny, so decided to copy/paste it here...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been a fan of Tolkien for almost 20 years now. And while I've often enjoyed the books for what they are, I've recently began to wonder, whether all is as it seems. Let's have a look at Gandalf.

So what do we know about him?? Well, Gandalf was a Maia, who came to Middle-Earth along with 4 other Maiar. We know that he's the only being ever to go down into Sauron's dungeons freely, and leave them without harm (see: The Hobbit). But is that really the way things went down??

What is the source of all this information?? Gandalf himself. He tells us that he descended into the dungeons secretly and then managed to find his way back. Or did he?? What if the real Gandalf is still in those dungeons, a prisoner now, not a tourist?? But then, who left in his stead?? The answer to that is elementary, my dear Watson: Sauron.

Before I'm branded a heretic and burned at the stake, let me explain. Sauron has an excellent reason for such action: Valinor. You see, when Gandalf completes his mission of aiding Middle-earth in the war with Sauron, he gets to go back to the Undying Lands, to which the road is sealed for all, but the chosen few. No one in their right mind can expect Sauron to be allowed in, but there will be a ship waiting to take Gandalf home. So the simplest way of getting to Valinor would be to assume Gandalf's identity.

I can already see all the questions "Yes, but what about the War of the Ring and all that Gandalf has done??" My reply to that is "So what exactly has he done??" He led the Fellowship to the brink of disaster several times (strangely enough, the Ringwraiths knew exactly where to look for Frodo after Gandalf "suggested" the road he should take, then there was Caradhras, where the Fellowship almost freezes to death or Moria, where they are almost slaughtered by goblins and then by the Balrog). Then, for a huge part of the story (between Moria and the fall of Isengard) he seems to be "unavailable". Some help he is...

Some people might say "but the Ring was destroyed". Yep, the Ring was destroyed. Or should I perhaps say a Ring was destroyed?? After all, we have only Gandalf's words to support the theory that the Ring in Frodo's possession is indeed the One Ring. Please note, that when the question "how do we know this is the One" arises during the Council of Elrond, it is Gandalf who gives the answer. How very convenient.

Perhaps there really was the One Ring in B ilbo's possession. I'm not denying that. But notice that when B ilbo leaves after his birthday party, he leaves the Ring in an envelope on the mantlepiece. IN GANDALF'S PRESENCE!! What would stop Gandalf from taking the real Ring, substituting it with a gold ring imbued with just enough magic to make the wearer invisible and carrying a "transmitter" broadcasting a homing signal. Frodo has rarely seen the Ring up close, so he probably wouldn't know the difference. He takes it, carries it to Mount Doom (with the road dangerous enough to avoid suspicions that this is too easy, but never too dangerous), destroys it, Middle-earth is saved, "Gandalf" gets to go to Valinor wearing the REAL Ring, and conquers it. After that, conquering ME would be a walk in the park.

But let's have a look at some other situations casting a shadow of doubt on Gandalf, shall we?? Aragorn and Frodo see lightning at Weathertop, and later, when they are told that it was Gandalf fighting the Ringwraiths, they do not question it. OK, I will. How come he never uses the lightning again?? If he is so powerful, why doesn't he use his power during the siege of Minas Tirith?? Why doesn't he use it in Moria?? What if the whole thing at Weathertop wasn't a fight for life, but one hell of a party??

Or Moria... The Fellowship leaves the burial chamber, Gandalf runs out last, telling them he will block the door with a spell. A spell which the Balrog counters and dispels with surprising ease. Odd, ain't it?? Maybe Gandalf didn't really want to fight the Balrog?? Maybe he doesn't fall after the Balrog, but jumps?? Maybe he doesn't fight the Balrog in the deeps, but plans their future campaign??

There are plenty of such ambiguous situations in the book (and the film). Circumstancial evidence, I know, but it's enough to leave one wondering WHO IS GANDALF REALLY??

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
nice. beats all this 9/11 crap weve seen latley :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
1. Sauron's spirit burned with fire. After the Last Alliance, Sauron never again could take on human form. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for Sauron to subsume himself in the body of Gandalf.

2. Even if this were possible, he would have been detected by Cirdan the Shipwright and not been allowed to set foot on one of the hallowed Elven boats at the Grey Havens.

3. And even if he somehow managed this, he would NEVER have been able to set foot on the shores of Aman. Manwe would have perceived him and his entry would have been prevented.

If you want a proper Tolkien discussion, here are four questions:

A) Who / what was Tom Bombadil ? Valar ? Maia ? Something else ? See: http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/tombomb.html

B) Was the Glorfindel who fought the Balrog the same Glorfindel that found Strider and the Hobbits in the Wild ?

C) Why is Treebeard described as the oldest living thing in the world ?

D) Were the Silmarils radioactive ?

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
Perhaps there really was the One Ring in B ilbo's possession. I'm not denying that. But notice that when B ilbo leaves after his birthday party, he leaves the Ring in an envelope on the mantlepiece. IN GANDALF'S PRESENCE!! What would stop Gandalf from taking the real Ring, substituting it with a gold ring imbued with just enough magic to make the wearer invisible and carrying a "transmitter" broadcasting a homing signal. Frodo has rarely seen the Ring up close, so he probably wouldn't know the difference. He takes it, carries it to Mount Doom (with the road dangerous enough to avoid suspicions that this is too easy, but never too dangerous), destroys it, Middle-earth is saved, "Gandalf" gets to go to Valinor wearing the REAL Ring, and conquers it. After that, conquering ME would be a walk in the park.

Is this guy saying, in the case Gandalf's identity was Sauron's, that Sauron can conquer Valinor with Manwe, Aule, Tulkas, Ulmo, Orosse, etc... ? The guys who defeated Morgoth (who is already the most powerful ainur) and more powerful obviously than Sauron?

Well, I give him the doubt in Gandalf's identity but hell no, there's no way Sauron can walk through the rest of the Ainur tbh.

Sauron conquering Taniquetil... ha!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Sauron was a Maia. Maia are mere servants of the Valar. To even contemplate that a Maia could out-power a Valar is absurd.

Eonwe, the standard bearer of Manwe was a Maia. He was the mightiest in Arms in Arda. In single combat between Eonwe and Sauron, Eonwe would squash him like a bug.

The only paradox is when Morgoth quailed before the might of Ungoliant, the Demon Spider. But Ungoliant wasn't a Maia, she was a demon spirit of the Void, but ultimately WEAKER than Morgoth, because Morgoth was the root of all evil. None of the other Valar, or even Eru himself created evil things like Ungoliant. They arose solely from the dischordant singing from Melkor in the making of the world.

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Lamp said:
Sauron was a Maia. Maia are mere servants of the Valar. To even contemplate that a Maia could out-power a Valar is absurd.

Eonwe, the standard bearer of Manwe was a Maia. He was the mightiest in Arms in Arda. In single combat between Eonwe and Sauron, Eonwe would squash him like a bug.

The only paradox is when Morgoth quailed before the might of Ungoliant, the Demon Spider. But Ungoliant wasn't a Maia, she was a demon spirit of the Void, but ultimately WEAKER than Morgoth, because Morgoth was the root of all evil. None of the other Valar, or even Eru himself created evil things like Ungoliant. They arose solely from the dischordant singing from Melkor in the making of the world.

As i said, if the valar can defeat morgoth, ehem, sauron is more likely to bite the dust against them.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp you are getting dangerously close to "trekkie" type status here dude - its not real...sssshhh ~rubs Lamps head gently~

Funnish read though, personally if I was Gandalf/Sauron I would have had to have hit a couple of hobbits with lightining just for comedy value and then blame it on the weather...

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
evzy said:
Lamp you are getting dangerously close to "trekkie" type status here dude - its not real...sssshhh ~rubs Lamps head gently~

*starts mumbling* "There's no place like home, there's no place like home"...

:D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thorondorito said:
As i said, if the valar can defeat morgoth, ehem, sauron is more likely to bite the dust against them.

At any point, any of the Valar, Eonwe, or even Gandalf the White could have openly challenged Sauron - and would have defeated him. No doubt.

But they were precluded from acting directly against Sauron by Eru. The folk of Middle Earth had to govern their own affairs and sort their own problems out. Thats why Gandalf was always rushing around advising and helping indirectly

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Hehe, funny read indeed =) Btw, check out the ads below :p LotR wares =)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
~takes Lamp by the arm and leads him into a padded room~

There there dude, its ok, here try this pill - its the one the voices told you to take..

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
evzy said:
~takes Lamp by the arm and leads him into a padded room~

There there dude, its ok, here try this pill - its the one the voices told you to take..

you hear the voices too ?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
where did you get all this info from out of curiousity? :p ive read both the hobbit and all the books and dont remember anything this complicated ever being mentioned :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ormorof said:
where did you get all this info from out of curiousity? :p ive read both the hobbit and all the books and dont remember anything this complicated ever being mentioned :p

You need to read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales m8 :)

Both books detail events that occured way before the events of Hobbit and LOTR. In my opinion, the Silmarillion is 251 million times better than LOTR

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This just seemed fitting.

gandalfpinkzq0.jpg

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
alternatively - listen to the voices and they sometimes fill you in on story...

Yes mother. Coming mother.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
old.Tohtori said:
This just seemed fitting.

gandalfpinkzq0.jpg

Ah, I see you've taken that from the front cover of the South African version :p

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Ormorof said:

There are some books about the history of the middle earth where you can read too much stuff about it.

And, there will always be the GREAT SILMARILLION.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Lamp said:
In my opinion, the Silmarillion is 251 million times better than LOTR

I agree. I've never been able to finish reading LotR even though I have tried so many times to get through it.

But I utterly love The Silmarillion and read that no problem at all.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Gandalf conspiracy thoeyr? I'll show you a Gandalf conspiracy theory!

In the top-right corner here, showing the wall to the west of the famous 'grassy knoll', you can clearly see a figure in white looking at the Presidential car...could it be...Gandalf nuked JFK?!?

whatthe4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom