Consoles and TFTs

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can I use PS2/Xbox/GC/SNES on a TFT ? If so what input do I use and which would you recommend ? Looking for a 200-300 quid range. 19-inch would be fine.

Please hurry, Christmas present for me from the wife :)

*fluffle*

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Well all TFT's should have a composite connection (yellow) but thats crap so you want one that supports component as well (green/red/blue leads).

Otherwise i guess you can use the VGA connection?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Not all monitors have tv-in. You can get a convertor, but they cost a lot of money (~100ish)!

You're better off with a small LCD TV, this is a pretty good one, but a bit above your price range (£320):

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...geMode=1&NavigationKey=11229,40473,4294959288

You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Otherwise the xbrick can do VGA out, but that doesn't help with the other consoles.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
inactionman said:
Not all monitors have tv-in. You can get a convertor, but they cost a lot of money (~100ish)!

You're better off with a small LCD TV, this is a pretty good one, but a bit above your price range (£320):

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...geMode=1&NavigationKey=11229,40473,4294959288

You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Otherwise the xbrick can do VGA out, but that doesn't help with the other consoles.

I want the TFT for my 2nd PC as well. Multi-purpose. Can any do S-Video ?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's going to look poop btw. It will either be a stretched image, or a small box in the center of the screen at 1:1. Remember the consoles are outputting a 480i resolution.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
8x6 ??

I need 1280 as a barely tolerable minimum :eek6:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes but LCD TV's suck at being good monitors, and visa versa.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
Yes but LCD TV's suck at being good monitors, and visa versa.

Yeah, unless you spend a lot of money (like I'm doing on a HD LCD TV), you have to make a trade-off, is it a TV for a console first and foremost, or is it a monitor? Then adjust criteria accordingly. My TV does 1366x768 but then it does have HDMI, and is costing me a grand!

If you want a monitor first and foremost, then get that box from maplin plus a monitor like the Hyundai ImageQuest B91A. Hope you have some spare speakers, as decent monitors don't tend to have them, or the speakers suck.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
inactionman said:
Then adjust criteria accordingly. My TV does 1366x768 but then it does have HDMI, and is costing me a grand!
Christ, my monitor does 1920x1200, has TV-in (composite, component, s-vid) and cost little over half that!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes but your monitor does not do HDCP. So will be useless for anything bar HD gaming on an xbox 360. tv on monitors is awful as they do not run at a low enough res. I'm assuming you've got a 2405fpw danya. Its great for the xbox360, great as a monitor, but not a good tv.

Can't remember if I saw it on Avforums or widescreen gaming forums, but the cost to add a external hdcp box is something like £400. Add to that the fact that inactionman will be getting hdmi connectivity options and you can understand the cost -as well as the fact his screen will probably be 30" or bigger.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yup, getting the Samsung LE32M51BDX, it's a 32" display (hopefully delivered just before xmas), with built in freeview. As much as I'd like to get a 1080p tv, I haven't seen any on the market at the moment, and they would cost an arm and a leg! Next upgrade is a Yamaha RX-V2600, plus some decent speakers.

As you say Ch3t HDCP boxes are bloody expensive, and may be illegal (so a bit hard to get hold of).

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
There's a couple of 1080p screens about. I saw a 45" model for about $4.5k (no idea if they're available in the UK).

Yaka

Part of the furniture
panny have a 37" one 2.5k or there abouts.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Way out of my budget! Was only looking to spend circa £1K.

My supplier has now let me down, and no-one else has stocks of the tv I was after available before xmas, so I need to look for another, but we're getting way off-topic here!

Yaka

Part of the furniture
if your after a LCD TV that you can use as pc monitor over dvi/hdmi then id say go for the LG 32" jobbies they have both a hdmi port and a hdcp enabled dvi port. have seen em going around the £900 mark. atm its the onlyone on the marcket that offers 1:1 pixel map (full ress) on pc via dvi. saw one in currys with x360 connected and it looked very good, tho the sales pleb was shit at pgr3

Yaka

Part of the furniture
wot 1:1 pixel map over hdmi? post you settitngs on avgforums then f00 a few peeps with same screen as you have been having probs when using dvi to hdmi cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom