Considering to start playing

S

SoD

Hi there =)

I consider to start playing DAOC, and I was woundering wether it worth it or not. I am a WoW player, but I got bored and quitted. The only thing I care about is PVP, PVP and PVP (which in WoW... well... sux!).

I am waiting for WAR now, and wanted to try DAOC before WAR is released. Are there still many people playing the game (on european server)? How's the pvp?

And as far as I understood, I can just downlaod the 14 trial and then keep paying without buying the game? Is it true? And is the game playable without the 2 extra expansions which are not included in the trial, or will players with the expansions have a big advantage over me?

And last question, what strong pvp class can you recommend me? An offensve caster or a melee fighter with good single target damage is what I am looking for.

Thanks ahead for your help =)

raid

Can't get enough of FH
If you're after competitive PVP, 8v8 is still great. However, it takes a lot of patience and practice as well as a regular group of like minded people.

Daoc isn't THAT much about items and for most part the free expansions will give you everything to be competitive (afaik wow is much worse in that respect), but you still probably want the latest expansions.

Not sure I would honestly recommend starting daoc as a new player, but then again what do you have to lose ;) The English servers sure could use more players, but I'd pick one of the German clusters.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
There still RvR on English cluster and the server is not as doomed as people predict yes there population problem but action is still good.

Try it if you like what you see then continue to play.

At end of day it down to the individual tbh.

Soulja

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
If you're after competitive PVP, 8v8 is still great. However, it takes a lot of patience and practice as well as a regular group of like minded people.

Daoc isn't THAT much about items and for most part the free expansions will give you everything to be competitive (afaik wow is much worse in that respect), but you still probably want the latest expansions.

Not sure I would honestly recommend starting daoc as a new player, but then again what do you have to lose ;) The English servers sure could use more players, but I'd pick one of the German clusters.

What he said. I definately wouldn't start as a new player now.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
While playing on EU servers as a new player is possible, you will have hard time with getting a group there. And in most cases, even for EU players, the US version is better lag wise, so I would suggest trying US server, where you see even more action, and many groups, and some newbies, so some chance to enjoy the game as new player. Also the US version is a few patches ahead, and some patches are good.

Expansions wise: You will miss a few items if you don't buy them (including advanced horses, mythical items), and you will also miss champion level abilities (minor stuff but useful) and the hit points bonus from champion levels. Which isn't that big difference. Usefull and recommended but not mandatory.

PVP wise: Avoid the PVP servers, since RvR, RvR Dungeons and Battlegrounds is enough PVP in DAOC. (One RvR dungeon is introduced in the last expansion)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Do not play on the English, Spanish or Italian servers that GOA run. They don't have the populations to have much fun and it is just getting worse.

If you don't mind playing in German or French you can try one of those servers. There are quite alot of people from these forums who play on the German servers now. If you only speak English then I suggest you create an account on a US server, this will involve downloading the game from Mythic rather than GOA.

The 2 latest expansions are useful for RvR however they aren't essential. They are however very cheap to buy. You won't need the latest expansions until you are lvl 50 anyway and there is plenty of RvR in the Battlegrounds before that.

In terms of characters, if you want a melee character I would recommend the vampiir for a brand new player. Its very easy to level and useful in RvR. If you want to play a caster I would recommend one which has a pet for easy leveling so either an enchanter, spiritmaster or cabalist. All 3 are useful in RvR. There are many other good classes so if you see something you think would be interesting then just ask about it and we can tell you.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Im afraid you'll have to check it out for yourself.

RvR is ok in UK cluster.
RvR is massssssiiivveeee on german/french clusters.

Allot of uk players are playing on the german clusters.
All raids there are in german and english!
I would suggest gooing a german cluster as beeing a new player, more people to level with and you'll stand a bigger chance having some fun in a zerg as a new player at start. Don't need a 1337 items then :D.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
I would advise you to start on USA aswell,plenty of action even with these silly european timezones :p

And it's cheaper!

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Still the best game in the market, but yeah, start fresh in the US server, you'll be better off than the goa ones

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
I would advise you to start on USA aswell,plenty of action even with these silly european timezones :p

And it's cheaper!

Theres ALOT of european players on USA servers... imo he should try out the bossniey cluster (classic) I see new players every day running around in the starter guild and grping it up osv ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom